1965 Volkswagen Beetle - Rabbit20v

Discussion in 'Car Journals/Projects' started by rabbit20v, Jul 9, 2015.

1. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Well as some of you know, I've been itching for a few years to get an air-cooled.
    Also Claire has been wanting a classic car of her own, even though she's more into American classics, I somehow talked her into look into air-cooled VW as it was the prefect compromise for the two of us.
    She really likes the styling of the Karmann Ghia, but they are very hard to find not rotted out.
    Plus the Ghia body is almost all one piece, so it's not like you can bolt better parts on. Everything has to welded.
    I swayed her back into looking at Beetles as they are much easier to find either not rotted or already repaired.
    I knew that we weren't looking for one in perfect shape, in fact we wanted one that needed some work so we could make a small project of it and put our own personal touch.

After backing out of buying a '66 that had too many unknown issues, I found this '65 for sale in Rochester on the Samba.
    Claire and I headed out one rainy Saturday afternoon to take a look.
    The owner was super nice and very upfront about everything.
    I was impressed at how clean it was underneath and how solid everything was.
    After going back the next day to look over it and take a test drive, we bought it.

[​IMG]WVW_7980 by Steve, on Flickr

[​IMG]WVW_7982 by Steve, on Flickr

[​IMG]WVW_7985 by Steve, on Flickr

[​IMG]WVW_7990 by Steve, on Flickr

[​IMG]WVW_8008 by Steve, on Flickr

Minglor and Unit91MS like this.
  2. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

i know almost nothing about these, but it seems to me you got a good one! Excited to see what the future brings for it!

3. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

The good:
    - Car was originally from Cali and brought to Philly and then to Rochester. PO never drove it in rain and always kept in a heated/dry garage.
    - Brand new floor pans welded in and entire chassis painted in POR 15
    - Already converted to 12v
    - 1600cc single port engine instead of the original 1200cc
    - New tires
    - New brakes
    - lots of new parts

The Bad:
    - Painted a unknown metallic blue, badly. Looks good in photos from 10 ft away.
    - Rear decklid was starting to rot and was crudely welded.
    - Was modded to have that 'Cal look' which means they shaved the front markers and dashboard
    - Hacked, and I mean hacked in an aftermarket radio.

4. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

I've been focusing on so many stupid little fixes on the car. I've decided to go over the whole car to check everything.
    For one, the distributor cap was on backwards and was shifting around causing the timing to change constantly and not get full spark on 2 cylinders.
    After that and dusted off my old timing light and reset the timing as that was out to lunch. That actually made it feel like it had a 1600cc in it.

The carb showed signs on need a rebuild. I bought a kit that came with everything I needed except a new float.
    It ran even better after being rebuilt, but when you shut the car off, gas would leak out the linkage and all over a hot engine. So obviously the needle wasn't being fully pushed up to stop the gas from flowing onto the throttle plate and flooding the engine.
    That explained the hot start issue.
    No bueno. I happened to find a local guy around the block who had parted out several beetles recently and along with some new body panels, he had a used float.
    I dropped in the used float and no more hot start issues or leaking gas. Now I don't have to worry so much about the engine catching fire. I still carry the fire extinguisher with me.

We also changed the oil for good measure. The PO said he did it last year, but these engine punish the oil thats in them.
    I had to laugh at how easy it is since there is no oil filter per say. Just drain the oil, replace crush gasket on the drain plug and reinstall. Add 2.5 quarts of desired oil and you're done. LOL
    After some debate and research online I thought I'd go for some multi weight oil as it's easy to come by. 20W50 was a little overkill for our region as it doesn't get that hot. So we came up with 15w40 as a good compromise.
    Well wouldn't you know, can't find that at any of the local parts stores. But they do have plenty of SAE 30 which is what the manual calls for.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  5. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Mk3Sleeper04 likes this.
  6. Unit91MS

Unit91MS Well-Known Member

That paint does look fantastic from 10 feet away! Awesome car, looking forward to seeing your progress!

7. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Oh trust me, it's not. They painted over all the body seals, overspray on all the window seals.
    It's like they did they did the job as a favor for someone that wasn't going to pay them.
    It was never wet sanded or buffed. It feels really rough. Plus there are tons of little chips.
    So I won't feel so bad when we sand it down to get that patina look until we can afford to paint it.

Unit91MS likes this.
  8. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

I forgot to add that I also greased and adjusted the front suspension the other day as well.
    What a mess that was and continues to be, especially if you have a large beard. Lets just say everything I get under the front of the car, my beard gets a nice dose of grease.
    Being a 1965, this still has the link pin front suspension, aka no ball joints.
    It's actually quite simple and beefy but it requires regular maintenance.
    It only takes about 1/2 hour to do and consists of losing a few pinch bolts, pumping grease into the fittings and turning the pins until they bottom out.

9. nivek

nivek Member

I've always wanted to mess around with an old Beatle. They look like fun little cars with not much to them.

10. RoachinRay

RoachinRay Bags&Wheels BRUH

nice pick up, I almost picked one up a month ago, it was beat to hell but it ran and I wanted something to tinker with, but without a garage I couldn't pull the trigger

11. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Love it!

Minglor likes this.
  12. Minglor

Minglor jamjamjamjamjamjamjamjam!

In love.
    Huge soft spot for these.
    Baja with a subi swap...yus.

13. vw to bimmer

vw to bimmer The Krazy Professor

Cool, Like the color.

14. JKaczor

JKaczor Well-Known Member

Awesome pickup mang.

Can't wait to see this thing with some patina and a lot of low. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. 18t papa

18t papa I'M OLD PAT!

Nice find!

I run 15w-40 in like every car I own. I use Rotella or Mobil Delvac diesel oil. It's cheap as shit but I've had no issues with it. You can get it at Walmart or AutoZone or wherever too. I get the 2.5 gallon jug for like $35 which usually covers 2 oil changes!

16. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Good idea! Run the same oil in very different engines!

Unit91MS likes this.
  17. Jeller

Jeller Posting- God

Love the project, now slam the car and put some porsche turbo twist wheels on it for me please.

rabbit20v likes this.
  18. Unit91MS

Unit91MS Well-Known Member

Fuchs or get out.

19. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

1.8t swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Xander

Xander McLovin

Looks nice Steve, congrats. Does this mean the wabbit has to stay outside now?