1965 Volkswagen Beetle - Rabbit20v

Discussion in 'Car Journals/Projects' started by rabbit20v, Jul 9, 2015.

1. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

2. SloDub

SloDub I got a Tetnis shot

Ha! Don't rush it, they want just as much attention as they get older too... Except not for things you want to do with them but things they want to do with you;)

3. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Picked up this sexy little roof rack.

[​IMG]Untitled by Steve, on Flickr

Also worked on restoring the rear quarter pop out windows.
    They needed new rubbers and the glass and metal trim all needed a little love.

Hinge before:

Hinge after:

Not perfect, but good enough.

The glass has some good size scratches in it that aren't gonna come out. But I was able to get a lot of the smaller scratches out with a buffing wheel and chrome polish.
    But what do you want for 50 year old glass.

vw to bimmer likes this.
  4. vw to bimmer

vw to bimmer The Krazy Professor

5. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

A little wear and tear on an old driver like this is not a bad thing! Looks good Steve!

6. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Pop out windows are in and what a difference.
    One of the best mods I've done yet. You actually get some air flowing through the cabin.

First we had to cut out the rubber on the fixed glass.
    As you can see there is now an outline of primer. I've come to the conclusion that this car was put in primer and then assembled before painting.
    Why? I'm not sure. Maybe it changed hands while mid project.

[​IMG]

Next step was to locate and mount where the hinge plate would go.
    Luckily for us there were already holes drilled there. Now I'm not sure if they were put there in the factory or that this car once had pop outs before.

[​IMG]

Now we installed the inner window seal. They needed to be trimmed which is fine because we'll get a prefect fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly we had to mount the rear hinge mechanism.

[​IMG]

All done.

[​IMG]

JKaczor likes this.
  7. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Those pop outs are sweeeeet!

rabbit20v likes this.
  8. RoachinRay

RoachinRay Bags&Wheels BRUH

loving the progress on this! low...check, roof basket....check, patina....getting there, but check! now you just need a safari window for the front ;)

9. KurtCav

KurtCav Posting- God

This thing is awesome!

I love the color combo as it sits.

10. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Well it's been a long time since I've updated. But it doesn't mean I haven't been doing anything.

Still chasing down the shifter rattle, narrowed it down to having a bad main shaft bearing.
    So I dropped the engine and transmission back around Christmas. Figured I'd pull the transmission apart myself and see if there was anything major that stood out.

It came apart pretty simply. But as I soon found out, going back together was going to be a whole other story. Lots of speciality tools involved.
    I decided to scrap rebuilding it myself and order a nice rebuilt unit from Rancho. They've been in the world of VW transaxles for over 30 years and carried a 5 year warranty. Perfect.
    So one week later I had one delivered.

[​IMG]Rancho rebuilt transmission by Steve, on Flickr

11. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Now while the transmission has been out, time to tackle some other things that need attention while I have some room to work.

One of which is the brake line that runs over the transmission to the passenger rear brake.
    It was looking a little rusty. Perfect time to replace it.

Next was the repair the half ass fix a PO did for the bolt that ties the transmission carrier to the frame.
    At some point in its life someone crossed the threads.
    Rather than attempt to straighten the threads in the frame, they just stacked washers till they could tighten the bolt somewhat.
    This is a rather large bolt, 18 x 1.5mm.
    I couldn't get a regular tap to start without worrying about it following the wrong threads.

In enters this tool.

It collapses to allow you to reach the good threads behind the damaged ones.
    This way you know you're centered and that the threads will connect.
    It was a little risky because if this didn't work, I would have had to cut and weld a used section on to the frame.

It was worth it's weight it gold. After 5 or 6 passes, it cleaned the threads right up and I was able to thread the bolt in correctly all the way.

Left is before, right is after.

12. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Also I decided I wanted to get the rear of the car as low as I originally had it earlier last summer.
    So I removed the stock spring plates and notched them for clearance.

Now I'm in the process of painting the spring plates and the starter just to clean things up a bit.
    I can't put back parts that are crusty.
    Once everything is painted and cleaned up I'll be ready to reinstall the transmission.
    Then hopefully it'll just about time for some cruising.

13. vw to bimmer

vw to bimmer The Krazy Professor

Steve, what is the name of that threading tool? Is slick!

14. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

15. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

It's called the Powerbuilt Back-Tap Thread Repair tool.

16. corolon

corolon Member

I've read the entire thread, all the posts and your updates, and, I must say, your car has come a long way! It looks so much better now. I hope you're proud of yourself! Keep up the good work, mate! :D

17. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Thank you. I don't post as much as I should.