1965 Volkswagen Beetle - Rabbit20v

Discussion in 'Car Journals/Projects' started by rabbit20v, Jul 9, 2015.

1. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Accurate post is accurate.

rabbit20v likes this.
  2. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Now that we've been taking the car out on longer and longer cruises, I've been longing for something more than just bluetooth speaker in the car.
    It was annoying fumbling with the speaker and phone trying to constantly find somewhere it wasn't going to roll away but you could still hear it.
    Plus you were constantly playing with your phone trying to adjust the volume.
    After much thought and searching, I decided that I'd like something had an actual volume knob on the dash somewhere and with bluetooth to keep the devices hidden from view.
    Since I had a non function 6v AM radio in the car that was just decoration, it would be the perfect vessel for such a project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to gut it out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

The new internals for the radio include a 50W x 2 amp with built in bluetooth 4.0 and an accessory board that has 2 USB charging ports and 3.5mm input jack.

I had to test it out before installing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Connected very easily. Everything seems to work.
    Well................ expect the dash speaker in the car........

[​IMG]

Who knew it was bad to install the speaker without the correct spacer and to paint onto of it???

Rieske likes this.
  4. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Where did you get your components? Should be way better sound with some good speakers than a battery powered bluetooth one.

How's it been running?

5. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Everything came from Parts Express. It's a Dayton amp board.

Other than that, it's been running solid, although I'm pretty sure I have a bigger than normal exhaust leak. My eyes are burning after riding for half an hour, lol.

6. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Decided to add some vents to the top of the radio chassis.
    I'm not exactly sure how warm this amp with get, but figured it couldn't hurt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure I didn't need to put that many holes in it but I got carried away.
    Looks like it'll vent just fine.

[​IMG]

7. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Added the bluetooth indicator LED into the display. Hopefully it won't be too bright and annoying.
    While testing the amp, the blue seemed to be toned down much more than the red and green LEDs they give you.

[​IMG]

I decided to add two rubber grommets into the chassis as well.
    The factory setup had the power wires and speaker wire all together pinched against the metal. 100% Legit.

[​IMG]

This should prevent an issues in the future and allow me to run the power separate.

I had thought about mounting the aux board with the USB ports in the glovebox, but that would have made it difficult to install/remove the radio in the future for whatever reason.
    So I kept everything enclosed in one unit.

[​IMG]

Not my finest work but, you'll never see it once it's in the car.

8. vw to bimmer

vw to bimmer The Krazy Professor

I like the idea, might do something similar in the corvair.

9. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Finally finished the radio a few weeks ago.

On the factory radio the power switch was also the volume knob for a mono amp.
    After a lot of searching, I couldn't find a new switch that was both a power switch/stereo volume in the correct range the new amp needed.

So I decided to just separate the two functions as I had to do something with the old radio tuning knob.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Custom made a coupler to connect the volume pot to the shortened tuning shaft. This way I could easily use the factory knob.
    [​IMG]

Final assembly. Half thought about shortening all the harnesses, but I got lazy and wanted to finish the project. I may revisit that option when I'm bored over the winter.

[​IMG]

10. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

As for speakers, since I now had stereo there was no sense in installing just one speaker in stock dash location. You can buy a dual voice coil speaker that is supposed to be really nice but again I wanted to use what I had laying around.
    I have many of speakers from cars before.
    I still wanted to attempt to keep a stockish look to the car.
    My first attempt was to hid them in custom panels I made that sit just below the rear seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While they fit the bill for being hidden away (you could barely even see them) it sounded like absolute crap.
    Sounded like you were listening to music down a long hallway. Plus you had to crank the volume just to barely hear them.

I fell back onto an old plan to use an old suitcase and mount the speakers directly to the face.

[​IMG]

So after experimenting with the speakers I had, these old Infinity 6x9's sounded the best.
    Just had to paint the trim they came with because the silver ring just didn't really go with the age of the car.
    A quick spray of copper paint solved that issue.
    Sorry it's the only picture I have of the speakers.

11. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Since I'm using an old iPhone as the media device, I wanted to take advantage of the charging usb ports.
    A quick search on Amazon found a 30 pin connector that had the cable coming out the back of the plug.

[​IMG]

A good dab of JB weld holds it into the ashtray.

[​IMG]

JB Weld, iPhone and a clamp hold every thing in position while the glue sets.

A grommet to in the upper half of the ashtray housing to keep the cable from being destroyed.

[​IMG]

Prefect.
    [​IMG]

It solves two issues. It keeps it charged and allows easy access to navigate the music.
    The other thing I love about it is that just take the phone out, close the ashtray and everything looks stock still.

JKaczor, 944_GASM and RoachinRay like this.
  12. JKaczor

JKaczor Well-Known Member

Super cool! A lot of win going on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Xander

Xander McLovin

Nice work! The ashtray USB cable is great. I'm always looking for options like that.

I envy all the time you have to do this kind of work. I keep telling myself, just a few more years and the kids will be old enough to not have to watch and I can focus on other fun stuff.

X...

rabbit20v likes this.
  14. JKaczor

Yes but then you have to regain the motivation....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

16. JKaczor

But will it pass inspection?

Xander likes this.
  17. Xander

Xander McLovin

I see what you did there.

X...

18. vw to bimmer

Steve, How is the sound quality?
    If it is good, I am going to do this with my corvair radio!

19. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

The Bluetooth line level is a little low. The 3.5mm input is a lot louder.
    I've read on some of the forums you can fix that with a few mods.
    But overall I'm very happy with it.
    As long as the device is within a couple feet of the amp, I've had no problems with losing connection.

20. vw to bimmer

Ok good to hear, I think I am going to do it!

rabbit20v likes this.