1985 VW Vanagon Westfalia Weekender, Wolfsburg Edition

Discussion in 'Car Journals/Projects' started by unibagel, Dec 9, 2010.

1. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Westy werks for today: Out with the old rusted parking brake cables, in with the shiny new replacements.

[​IMG]

2. Jeller

Jeller Posting- God

Looking good man. This thing will be very well sorted/reliable westy when you are complete.

unibagel likes this.
  3. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Amazing that is was reliable before all of this work!! :)

But thanks Jeller! I simply cannot wait to drive her.

4. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Parts, Parts, Parts.
    The Westy craves more parts.

5. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

No new parts today, sorry Steve.

But I started to bleed the clutch line, the pedal feels alright but I'm not sure as there are new components compared with before. I'd imagine I'd need to bleed it again though.
    [​IMG]

I picked up an extra stock '85 Westy Weekender fluorescent light, gutted it and started the strip LED install. Got the strips cut to length, just need to solder the wires in place. I'm going to wire this one using the stock fan switch that used to run the rear heater. I ripped that leaky bugger out years ago but left the wring in place for just such an occasion.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also hooked up the main battery, inserted the key into the ignition and clicked it over just one notch. A wonderful BBBZZZZZZZZZ noise came from the fuel pump!! I clicked it over one more notch and bumped the starter over as well!! Yay!!! We will soon have life!

6. vw to bimmer

vw to bimmer The Krazy Professor

7. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Those LEDs should be a nice upgrade. Almost there! It will be nice being able to keep up with everyone on cruises now!

8. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Yeah, I did it to my original light a few years ago. More light and substantially less power draw while appearing stock.

Ha! It'll be better anyway, not sure about the keeping up part...

9. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Westy Werks for tonite: converted another Weekender fluorescent light to LED. Yay.

Ordered wire and loom will install this weekend.

[​IMG]

10. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Westy Werks today: Primed the engine with oil, purged the power steering and went to start her up. Crank, crank, crank, crank........and nothing. Pulled the codes (because OBDII!) and saw a crankshaft position sensor error. Where is that bugger anyhow, oh wait a minute! It's under the alternator, yep missed plugging that puppy in! Started up after that!! Yay! Just look at that beauty of an engine!

[​IMG]
    But I still have a few codes to work through:

I had a P1507 code, cleaned the IAC (Idle Air Control) and that code went away. Man that thing was crusty inside.

I got the other Weekender light that I converted to LED installed, just need to connect the wiring.

[​IMG]

Dos Jotas and RoachinRay like this.
  11. Unit91MS

Unit91MS Well-Known Member

Get some rally armors on there too and you've got yourself the subaru starter pack!!

unibagel likes this.
  12. vw to bimmer

To help with crusty rusty terminals and get the electrical contact better try DeOxit, it is awsome stuff. It actually helps electrical conductivity , dielectric just helps resist electrical flow to the surrounding environment and moisture.

unibagel likes this.
  13. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Update: the guys at RMW (Rocky Mountain Westy) are great with support and got back to me about doing a mod to the blue wire coming from the relay under the driver's seat. Snip it and connect to 12V+ black from the ignition switch to extinguish the Battery light on the dash. So I pulled the fusebox down and performed surgery. Happy to say that the light is now out.

I'm still battling with a pocket of air trapped in the 30 some-odd feet of cooling tubes as the Radiator still isn't getting hot. I was able to get some out, just gotta keep at it....

14. Dos Jotas

Dos Jotas It used to say Admin here

Did you try drilling a 1/8" hole in the thermostat to help burp the system?

15. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

You have the factory water pump only? Not sure the Subaru one is designed to push through that much tubing.

16. 18t papa

18t papa I'M OLD PAT!

Where does this thing fill from? Any purging screws/valves in the system?

17. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Yes Subaru waterpump, fills in the back by the engine.

18. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Westy Werks for today: wrapped the speed sensor in loom, ripped more of this old A/C crap out and went for three drives. This thing pulls really well and sounds great with a snarl at WOT. But the Rad is still only 1/2 warm,I'll keep plugging away...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. vw to bimmer

If it comes to it could you suction bleed the engine. Pulling mostly a vacuum in the system and then it sucks the coolant in to fill eliminating air....