1985 VW Vanagon Westfalia Weekender, Wolfsburg Edition

Discussion in 'Car Journals/Projects' started by unibagel, Dec 9, 2010.

1. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Yeah, Jason generously offered to let me borrow his vacuum tool. I'm going to try a different approach tonite. Stay tuned.

2. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Monday night: I raised The rear, let t warm up then bled. Held 2500 rps for three minutes bled again. The whole radiator was hot....Yay.

Tonite I rewired the second Weekender light so that it runs off the house battery, constant hot that can be turned on using the stock Westy rear fan switch. This way I don't need to have the ignition on to use it.

I also rewired the tachometer so that works again. :) Then cleaned up the garage, went through my tool boxes and tossed a bunch of junk that I no longer have a use for...

vw to bimmer likes this.
  3. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Westy Werks for today: installed the much needed gear selector fork bushings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. vw to bimmer

vw to bimmer The Krazy Professor

5. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

It's been a little while and I have been doing some more mods. :)

Firstly, this came...
    [​IMG]

Which held this new ARB Awning in it.
    [​IMG]

Then last night, these Powerflex Urethane swaybar bushings arrived. I absolutely love the VW community! I received these from a fellow Westy owner who used them for a bit, then upgraded his swaybar. $120 worth of bushings for $10. :))))

[​IMG]

Definitely not a dramatic difference in handling but it did further firm up the steering. I'm very happy.

6. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

I had a wake up call for my laziness the other day. I moved my seat back after reconnecting the batteries on the Westy. A power cable for my charge controller got caught in the seat track and grounded out sending out plumes of smoke. I was able to cut the power but it was scary for me and the kiddos.

I re-wired the whole stinking thing utilizing a BlueSea auxiliary fuse box, a master fuse, proper grounds (replaced the crappy 30 year old cables). Plus a master cut off switch so I don't need to pull the battery cable any more. All cables were cut to the proper length and shrink wrapped with the correct crimp end connector. While I had the batteries out I took the opportunity to take care of the surface rust that had started under then. POR15 to the rescue!
    No more rats nest of wires under the driver’s seat; everything is neat, tidy and secure. Plus now I have 3 fuse protected circuits waiting for any future expansion. This is something I should have done a long time ago rather than wait until I nearly started a fire.

Here is the cable that started it all. Crispy!
    [​IMG]

Look at this mess! The sub-woofer amp isn’t even mounted. And there are miles of extra cable in there. Yuk.
    [​IMG]

Amazon delivers!
    [​IMG]

I’m sorry but these 30 year old ground cables are not going to cut it any longer.
    [​IMG]

Ah, that’s more like it.
    [​IMG]

RoachinRay likes this.
  7. vw to bimmer

8. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Thanks! I am very happy with how it turned out, plus one less thing to worry about. :)

9. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Installed a spare grab handle on the slider. Easier to close that puppy now. :)

[​IMG]

10. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  11. vw to bimmer

12. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Back at it. I have to admit that buying a MAPP gas torch was a game changer for me, this thing rocks. When replacing both rear flex brake hoses, the unions just started to strip. Blast with heat, quench with liquid wrench, repeat. Then they come apart with no issue. LOVE!

I got the luggage rack finished, new seal installed and popped it back in place. Looking good.

This weekend we will weld the new rear spring perches in and add some poly urethane spring mounts. I have to tackle a rear end alignment next. Ugh. Maybe vw to bimmer can lend a hand with this???? :)

Many things left to on this rig before spring: some of it just general maintenance (oil change, new brake fluid) and some of it more exciting.

As a teaser I am going a different direction with frontal illumination, more to follow…..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  13. JKaczor

JKaczor Well-Known Member

The last time I watched someone use a MAPP torch on a brake hose, it didn't go so well. Hose exploded and sent little tiny balls of brake fluid mimicking that of mercury all over the driveway. No one got hurt, but yea, glad it went better for you lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

I cut the rubber lines in half first before applying heat....

15. vw to bimmer

If I am available, sure. As long as your the guy crawling around on the ground. :p

16. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

17. JKaczor

JKaczor Well-Known Member

......at least it wasn't me or my car...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

More Westy Werks for today.

My man Ken welded the new spring plates in place. Some etching primer then BBQ black paint was applied.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Poly perches and springs installed. I stiffened up the Koni's a little bit while I was in there.
    [​IMG]

Oil change. Castro full synthetic with a good Mann filter.
    [​IMG]

Fun stuff: new LED headlights installed with single round grill! I can wait to see these puppies at night. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Vs the old Quad round Euro H4 setup
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    RoachinRay likes this.
  19. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

those headlights are sick

20. SuperFan99

SuperFan99 Well-Known Member

I liked the look of the Quads, but those LED's seem pretty cool.