2001 Audi TT 225 Coupe - lite1979

Discussion in 'Car Journals/Projects' started by lite1979, May 24, 2012.

1. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

Damn low oil warning came on today on my way home from work. Looks like I'm leaking somewhere up front. It doesn't look like it's the feed line, so I suspect the oil cooler needs to be tightened (replaced earlier this year)... Goddamn Mobil 1 is expensive.

2. mahoneybags21

mahoneybags21 Well-Known Member

buy the pentosin from ECS!

3. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

Thanks for the tip on the oil, mahoney! I topped it off, tightened my oil filter, and haven't leaked a drop since, but I'll be doing a regular change when I get back to Buffalo (I'm currently in Syracuse, working the New York State Fair for Tully's).

In other news, I must be doing something right:

[​IMG]

That's right! Four hundred miles on one tank! Obviously, I'm not driving as fast as I could be, but since I'm on a conditional license until late November anyway, I'll take whatever progress I can get.

4. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

While I was at my Dad's I decided to replace the outer CV boots on both the driver's and passenger's side front half-shafts. After cleaning them up, I saw no metal fatigue or signs of damage, so I repacked them, put the new boot kits on (ordered from GAP), and re-installed them. I wish I had had the inner boots, though, as I saw that they're on the way out. The hardest part of replacing the outer boots was hammering the CVs off the axle shaft, but after removing the passenger's side axle, I noticed that the wheel bearing on that side felt kind of dry, so I'm going to replace that next time I go home, since my Hub Tamer is @ his house now...

5. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

The headliner's coming out tomorrow, the heater core is going in on Thanksgiving, and the rear brakes will be done before I leave Buffalo in twelve hours (that cube thing for turning in the rear caliper pistons really works pretty well). I'm hoping my Dad has some insanely deep 17mm socket or something so I can remove the interior trim that's hiding the Bose amp.

6. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

So I moved to North Buffalo where I have a garage, but it has no garage door. It's still better than my old neighborhood and work space. I took the last few days to replace my front left wheel bearing (hit the median on Sheridan during heavy snowfall and it failed prematurely. I also replaced my front left ABS wheel speed sensor while I was in there. Pics for clicks:

[​IMG]

The car is so smooth and quiet since I put that bearing in! If anyone wants do do a bearing himself, let me know. I have the OTC Hub Tamer puller/press set, and it works very well.

My ABS light is no longer on, but the traction control is still off, and pressing the ESP button doesn't turn it on. When I come to a stop now, the ABS activates as if I'm sliding, but not until right before I stop. Should I just reset it in VAG-COM? I also noticed that the revs come down a lot slower than they used to for whatever reason. Almost like a little too much air is going into the throttle body? Still, it's progress. I'm looking at a houndstooth pattern for headliner fabric, and thinking I'll do fake grey suede for the rest of the interior trim pieces.

Next thing I absolutely have to do: get a 4-wheel alignment. I'm convinced that my chopped rear tires are the result of an improperly locking rear differential, not a rear alignment issue, but I'm not buying new tires until I have the alignment and Haldex issues sorted first.

7. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

Quick update; in the past year and a half I haven't gotten much done to my car, and she definitely needs attention.

I did get my traction control working. Turns out, when I removed my steering wheel to do my heater core, I messed up the angle of the steering angle sensor. I took the steering wheel off, took the front off the sensor, and noticed that the ribbon had folded last time I removed it (VAG-COM showed the steering wheel being 180 degrees off center). Folded it flat, turned it until VAG-COM gave me 0 degrees, drove it two blocks, and the traction control light went off for the first time in a while..

I just finished installing a Relentless 3" downpipe and catalytic converter. I'm also running 16" snow tires on Jetta GLX LeCastellets. This thing is the bomb in the snow with snow tires. Without, not so much.

Next on my to-do list is the steering rack (leaking on the passenger's side), anti-sway bar bushings, Control arm bushings, and an alignment.

8. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

How was the downpipe install? Everything fit good?

9. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

I'm going to Napa right now to get a few bolts/nuts for the sleeve clamp from the cat to the mid section. As it hangs right now, it's rubbing on the passenger's side of the tunnel; I'm hoping I can clamp it and straighten it out somewhat without making my tips look out of wack.

10. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

I'm happy with the sound and the fitment now that I have the connector sleeve nice and tight. I have no rubbing, and the exhaust tips stick out maybe an extra half inch out of the rear valance, which doesn't bother me at all.

So after my third day of driving around, my Check Engine Light decided to light up on my way home from work a few minutes ago. A quick scan with my ELM327 and my phone told me "P0303 - misfire cylinder 3" (this may have happened before I did the downpipe and cat; I'm not too worried about that one), and P0422 - Main catalyst bank 1 below threshold. Looks like it's time to get a spark plug non-fouler and a 1/2" drill bit. Wish me luck! I'll also be installing a horn tomorrow, as I need that for inspection as well.

11. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

Apparently, 1/2" wasn't large enough. I need to make more room for the O2 sensor to fit into the non-fouler. Drat.

12. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

Picked up an 02 spacer from BlackGTI on here. Worked great, and the CEL cleared on its own. I now am NYS inspected and can park on the street. Too bad I still appear to have a bad battery or a parasitic drain. The heck with this cold weather (currently -4 degrees Fahrenheit).

13. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

Replaced bad Walmart battery with a new Walmart battery for free. We'll see how long this one lasts. At least it was made a month before I bought it, unlike the previous pile, which was made in July of 2013 (bought in November of 2014).

Had a minor crisis when the oil seal between the oil cooler and the bracket to the block cracked and leaked all of my Mobil 1 0W-40 onto my driveway. Replaced the seal, filter, and oil, and all is running well.

Oh, I've been driving the poor girl around with no interior at all for the last year. I should get to work on that. I have a grey/black houndstooth pattern that I'm going to use for the headliner (a small nod to Ricky from Trailer Park Boys), and microsuede for the pillars and rear hatch. Pics will come with warmer weather!

14. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

I have done so much work to this car!

New rear main seal - old one was leaking and destroyed the clutch I put in less than two years ago. This required a 1-liter bottle to get the seal to slide over the crankshaft. They used to give you an insert to help you with this, but they don't anymore. Confirmed with a phone call to German Auto Parts.

New clutch - for reasons stated above. When I did the clutch in summer 2014, I replaced the pressure plate, dual-mass-flywheel, and clutch slave cylinder/throwout bearing (they're the same part on an O2M), so I re-used them this time around.

New input shaft seal - I was already down there...

Used, rebuilt steering rack installed - I still need an alignment, though. Drives pretty straight, but better safe than sorry. I couldn't get the old inner tie rods out of the old rack, so those (and outers) are new as well...

New front lower control arm bushings, new poly anti-sway bar bushings, new sway bar links, new transmission mount, BFI insert for dog-bone mount, and I'll be putting in my BFI motor mount when I do the timing belt later this year.

So far, so good. Now that the front end basically has no squeaks or clunks, I have to focus on the rear end. The rear diff/Haldex has to come apart, so if anyone knows of a used unit I can swap in while I do that, it would be greatly appreciated. Basically, the clutches get welded together when the fluid isn't changed frequently, which causes binding at low speeds with the wheel turned. This leads to uneven wear of the rear tires, unnecessary stress on the Guibo joints, and can really cost you a lot of money if not taken care of. Just look up the price for a new propeller shaft for a 2001 Audi TT Quattro...

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  15. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Damn thats crazy about the rear diff. Did you let it go or previous owner?

16. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

Previous owner never changed the Haldex fluid, but there are other "theories" about why it binds in turns at low speeds. It works like a champ in the snow, but I'm sick of the low-speed binding, so I may just buy a used unit and rebuild that with new clutches while I drive on my original one.

17. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

I noticed a little drippage in the driveway, and I discovered it was coolant. I suspect the coolant flange that attaches to the head. I replaced it when I first got the car in 2009, I think, so it's due.

I also replaced the rear right ABS sensor. What a pain in the ass! The old one was a bear to get out. I ended up basically breaking it into pieces with a hammer and screwdriver, and from there I slowly took bits out until I got a clean aperture to put the new one in. Then, the new one just would not go in! Working from under the car, it was not easy to get the new ABS sensor to go in straight, even with a little grease on it. Finally, I got it to start straight, and from there I was able to tap it in and fasten it. After that, I hooked up VAG-COM (via a Windows 7 install in VirtualBox inside a Linux Mint install, hehe), cleared the code, and now I have only the Airbag light to clear my cluster of warnings!

Clearing the airbag light isn't as easy, unfortunately. My airbag controller is fubar, and I basically need to get a working one with the same part number and swap it in to make them work again.

18. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

Goddamn resonator broke completely from the muffler and fell off yesterday. Any suggestions? I have a relentless 3" turbo + high flow cat that narrows down to 2.5" to match the stock exhaust, but now I need a new resonator and muffler...

19. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

Muffler Man fixed it with a new stainless steel resonator, and kept my original muffler as well. Woot!

20. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Nice, muffler man rocks.