2003 20th AE GTI ~ Budsdubbin

Discussion in 'Car Journals/Projects' started by budsdubbin, May 12, 2011.

1. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

Herrrrrrrrooooooooowwwwwwww Again!!! I've been extremely busy these last months so its been hard to take the time out to update the build thread for my little project.

As of last summer the setup included:
    -Precision sc5031e 63a/r @ 16-18psi
    -Eurodyne Maestro 630cc file tweaked a bit.
    -Tial 38mm wastegate with 14.7psi spring
    -Custom SS downpipe ceramic coated and wrapped with DEI heat wrap.
    -Walbro 255 pump
    -Full 3 inch SS tusdo exhaust
    -APR R1 dv
    -Godspeed Intercooler (I don't remember the size exactly but its a decent size, I'm getting roughly 32-34 intake air temps at 23psi on a 80degree day)
    -Evap, SAI and N249 system deleted

Here is a quick recap:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On the base file @21psi no timing adjustment shop temps were around 70degrees
    The Updated setup:
    -Stage 2 BFI motor mount and tranny inserts
    -Velosity intake design
    -Custom Catch Can thanks to arnold @ Pagparts along with -10 an braided PCV lines
    -Falken RT615k rubbers

As for my plans this summer.... I maybe picking up 1000cc injector dynamics injectors from Mike@innovative to go e85 in the future depending on gas prices. I will definitly be reinstalling the water/meth kit as some point when I can fab up a new bracket for the pump. Maybe even a new clutch setup if I find the downtime to do so.

11/6/2017

I'm going to do a little cleaning up of this build thread in my spare time to fix the broken Image links for new members on here. Also I'll be making an index so everyone will have a easier way to navigate the build history since 15+ pages aren't easy to sift through. I'll be making small improvements to the thread every week.

Recap beginning - BT build 5031e page 1
    BT build up in flames (literally) page 7

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  2. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Glad you made a thread, its about time and I has a few questions....

What happen to your front bumper?

And are you doing rods soon? Thats seems like one thing thats keeping ya from turning the boost up. LSD?

3. KurtCav

KurtCav Posting- God

Looking forward to updates.

4. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

Actually I'm working on a fueling map for 21-23psi all summer. I'll be doing rods next winter along with possibly a different turbo. As for the LSD that may happen sooner than planned but I'll see I'm really going to run with what I got see how I can do at the track and I'll take it from there.

5. KurtCav

KurtCav Posting- God

Is that a custom catch can? I really like the shape and placement.

6. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

Yes, thank-you fitment was a bit of an issue with the filter so I may have to go with a shorter filter in the future. -10 an feel lines from my crankcase and my valve cover to a vented SS oil catch can. Its custom from arnold @ pagparts.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  7. Haenszel

Haenszel Posting- God

Just lookin at the dyno plot now, are you sure you don't have any huge leaks or anything? Tq curve seems about 1000rpm's late comin in from what I remember on Jasons car. That'd almost double your powerband.

8. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

Actually yeah I built a tester for the spring and found a couple decent sized leaks around a few couplers and the throttle body pipe around my meth injector. So one of these days soon I'll have to find a bung to weld in for the snowperformance kit. Devils own actually uses a different thread pitch so its not somthing I can just run to innovative and get. So yeah I definitly had a few massive leaks back when I dyno'ed.

I figured my setup was a bit laggy from what I've seen.

9. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

Quick update: I sent my throttle body pipe out to my buddies shop to get welded up for the dv flange and the meth injector bung. So I don't have to worry about any more leaks. I also ordered up some new T bolt clamps for my charge piping which the old ones suffered through the winter a bit. The new ones are SS and the bolts are coated in zinc so I won't have to worry about this again.

As far as my cold starting issues I've been having, I've been doing adjustments on a few different maps including my bvc and it seems I've been having the same issues with all the new files I've been cooking up. So that leads me to believe that somewhere between the last dyno I've had and the new tune I came up with I either developed a exhaust leak or my o2 is bad. I'll be swapping the o2 and trouble shooting on my next day off here to figure out the problem. Hopfully I won't have to but I will take the setup apart and look for a blown gasket even though it seems tight to me.

Hopfully that doesn't take me to long so that I may get my basic tune down and start working on setting up my water/meth pump again which should only take me an hour. Then the fun part begins with maestro ;)!!!

I'll probably get some video's together and by the end of the summer possibly another dyno.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJOUfWA7SIo&feature=player_profilepage[/ame]

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  10. Rovert

Rovert Young Steak... aka Veal

setup looks pretty nice! looking forward to seeing your numbers when its tightened up

11. OrangEa420

OrangEa420 Well-Known Member

Frank A Lin. :Banane29:

12. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

I am in the works of getting a new laptop to do some fine tuning with a my timing and fueling maps. I may also find the time to weld up a bracket for my meth pump and hook that system back up this week. As for the leaks I re-welded my throttle body pipe and received new t bolt clamps in the mail. I've also played around with my file to allow brake boosting... I will probably get a video together soon of me going at it with an gt30r evo on zeee highway. He got the jump on me last when we raced but now that I can start the spool up early it should be interesting when I get my tune dialed in aswell.

I'll probably see some of you out this week at the thunderdome of all shit shows. I may give the track a shot on street tires but I'm not gonna hold my breath for a decent time.

13. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Wooo hooo! I'd love to see this car in action. Glad you are making progress. :arms:

14. vgneric

vgneric Posting- God

Man, I wish I had both, the knowledge, and the money to do what you're doing.
    Looking good!

15. KurtCav

KurtCav Posting- God

lol you've been sounding like a turbo build hipster lately.

16. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Well at first I thought someone brought a gun to cruise night, but then I realized it was just your car.

17. TANGO DOWN

TANGO DOWN OhnO a V8

HAA!!! :Banane36:

seriously nice ride, comming along nicely, whats your end taget whp?

18. youknowthis

youknowthis Well-Known Member

time for slicks son!