2003 20th AE GTI ~ Budsdubbin

Discussion in 'Car Journals/Projects' started by budsdubbin, May 12, 2011.

1. KurtCav

KurtCav Posting- God

You'll need to downgrade the front brakes to fit 15" wheels on there. A dude did a GTI brake conversion on his 20th a while back specifically so he could fit the smallest, lightest wheels possible on it for the track.

2. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

You sound completely unmotivated lol

3. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

Same caliper different bracket/smaller rotor. Yeah I'm aware of whats involved not much of a downgrade to me if 15's are in my future. Thanks for the info though!

Lol you have no idea. Every year I usually wait for the first warm week to turn wrenches but yeah this year hasn't given me much inspiration beyond playing round on my laptop. Although when that warm weather hits I'm in go mode. I'll get shit done when the time comes.

4. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

I get ya. Sometimes its tough, it helps if you have friends pushing you along, and by that I mean spend a bunch of money on dumb things and spend way to much time in the garage lol.

But you are right once the weather warms up its so much nicer to be out there, this weekend won't be too bad.

5. Minglor

Minglor jamjamjamjamjamjamjamjam!

I'm with budsdubbin.
    I have a plie of parts that I just stare at and then consider how cold it is outside. Should start doing garage meets when it warms up. Motivate some people.

6. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Garage meets are fun, I'm in.

7. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

DOWN

8. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

Updizate:

Coolant pushlock lines pissed me off for the last time so I made my own OEM type which noone else apparently makes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also replaced control arm/strut mount bushings with poly's. Which improved the ride quality enough for me to fall in love with this thing again. I've been having minor issues dialing in the no lift shift feature but after a few emails back and forth with tapp it seems I have to relearn how to drive this thing. It is always enabled regardless of throttle position meaning I have to flat shift 24/7 in this thing so not to run into a "overrun" unthrottled condition which sends the mix extremely rich to cool the ETG's.

Left on the list this year is finishing the muffler this week and getting the cooling fan issue situated. LSD is on hold for a bit until I'm ready to drop the time/cash. Pics of the cleaner bay will be posted later today.

9. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Why would it be on all of the time? The no lift shift feature I mean. Seems kind of silly. Can you add an external switch that is enabled when the gas pedal fully down to enable it?

10. Haenszel

Haenszel Posting- God

I figured it would at least have an RPM window.

11. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

According to tapp is a simple code that works.... lol I requested a rpm switch to the function but no response. Looks like I'm back to working on my own stage 3 binary.

12. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

According to tapp is a simple code that works.... lol I requested a rpm switch to the function but no response. Looks like I'm back to working on my own stage 3 binary.

13. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

Finally took the time to finish the exhaust and put a vband in. I didn't have alot of time to make pretty welds but it will hold. Considering I was grinding my tungston on a cutting wheel because Pepboys decided bench grinders where dangerous, its not bad specially with a crap old school scratch start. Can't wait to invest in a better TIG.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On a side not Mcdubbin should be rolling the dyno pretty soon with my maestro tune once the the LSD is finished this week so I'm excited to see how it turns out! 2 more stock turbo tunes coming this week so I've been busy developing my nerd skills. God bless america and we gotta start having meets soon.

14. Haenszel

Haenszel Posting- God

what turbos he got now that the K04's gone? We were trying to figure it out when it was on the lift.

15. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

3071r youknowthis's old setup.

16. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

After a little TLC from my buddy, he may not have a good rap on here but he can't help he was raised in west senica. Its good to see it clean. Need to clean up the wiring harness and ditch the MBC next.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  17. Mk3Sleeper04

Mk3Sleeper04 Vroom!

Looking fresh! I'm down for some weekly meets lmk

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

18. gv1390

gv1390 Well-Known Member