2015 GTI - Unibagel

Discussion in 'Car Journals/Projects' started by unibagel, Jul 8, 2015.

1. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Well, here she is.....a 2015 GTI SE with DSG and Lighting Package. (I'll fill in her name when I figure it out.)

I’d been pondering the 1-Series and 3-Series BMW’s, Audi A4, Mk VI Golf R and Mk VII GTI’s for a couple of months. Probably a wiser choice to get a new VW rather than a used BMW I thought to myself. So I finally went down to VW of OP to give one a rip. Trevor threw me the keys to a Black 4dr with DSG and I was really impressed with that transmission and the car, it feels nearly as quick as my APR Stage 1 GTI. After pondering for a few more days I contacted Adam at Basil VW. Drove a white Autobahn but I had my heart set on an SE in Silver. He found one for me and threw in some goodies to sweeten the deal……SOLD! Thanks Adam!!

So I traded in my trusty GTI on this:

[​IMG]
    Mods:
    Suntek CXP window film, 55%
    034 Motorsports Billet Aluminum Mount Insert
    New South Performance Boost Gauge
    Paddle Shifter Extensions
    H&R 26mm RSB
    Trunk light and Reverse light LED Bulbs
    Rust proofed/undercoated by Carwells.

Eventually:
    -VCDS tweaks
    -VWR Springs
    -DSG Tune
    -Some sort of engine tune??
    -Lighter rims???

Looking forward to some track days! More pics and stuff to follow... :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    lorge1989 likes this.
  2. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

hell yea! in for a long term review of DSG.

i fucking love MK7 GTI's, if i was in a place to buy one i would.

get the tune and dsg tune now! lots of companies are having summer sales and doing combo deals.

imo dont put those boat anchor s4 wheels on there! get something like superleggeras or ultraleggeras, they probably weigh half of what the s4 wheels do. when i had some i think they weighed 30 pounds each without a tire. my 18x8 RPF1's weigh 18 each without a tire.

3. t-rent

t-rent popurhood Staff Member

Awesome! If you have any questions let me know. Mine is Unitronic Stage 2 and it's a blast. If you want to meet up sometime you can take mine for a spin if you remember how to drive manual ;)

Don't do a stiffer lower mount. Pretty much everyone said there are way too many vibrations from them on this platform.

As for springs there are no DG springs for the GTI only the Golf. I have the VWR and love them. Subtle drop that looks good and ride quality is nice.

If you need VCDS hit me up.

4. BlackGTI

BlackGTI Well-Known Member

Looking good sir. I'll have my VagCom cable with me up in TMP on July 19th if you're in for a track break in. Stay away from boat anchor OEM wheels if you can. I picked up a set of Team Dynamics for under $700 on Ebay. I think they are like 19 lbs or so.

5. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Needs moar string .........
    Awesome, not gonna lie. I'm a little jealous.

6. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Thanks guys! I will look into lighter wheels, excellent point!!

Trent: Yes! I want to meet up as I am curious to see how the VWR springs feel! Thanks!!!

7. Porkins

Porkins Squealing Pig

Very nice.. You had me up until DSG :( Maybe get the DSG tune first

8. Super Sedan

Super Sedan Well-Known Member

Well I guess I believe it now. In for more pics!

9. beckington

beckington Mr. Manager

Thanks dude! Appreciate the business and the kind words.

I know there were a couple issues that occurred at the dealer we picked it up from and we didn't notice until delivery. Just shoot me a text and we'll get them straightened out at your convenience.

10. Jeller

Jeller Posting- God

Congrats man, nice purchase !

11. Rovert

Rovert Young Steak... aka Veal

Trent and chris- i look forward to more reviews with some time on these cars.. if i buy a new car again in the next year or so this will probably be it.

12. Rovert

Rovert Young Steak... aka Veal

Trent and chris- i look forward to more reviews with some time on these cars.. if i buy a new car again in the next year or so this will probably be it.

13. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Just got the windows tinted, Suntek CXP window film, 55%. It’s subtle but noticeable, exactly what I wanted as my goal is simply to keep the sun/heat out.

Now onto my review of the car, which is full of surprises. My previous DD was a 2008 GTI FSI that I bought from a private party. The car had a CPO warranty and was a great experience for me, I felt the MkV chassis was so much better than my MkIV Jetta GLX VR6 (and I really liked that car!). Well, the MkVII is light years beyond my old MkV. I think a lot of this has to do with it being an SE package car though. The leather, pano sunroof and Fender audio are simply great and make it feel like a much more up market car. And oddly, the admittedly stupid little extra features like the keyless entry and push button start are starting to grow on me. All materials feel top notch and a nice damping on the sunglass holder just adds to the perception of quality.

The car is just as quick as my APR Stage 1 GTI was and this surprised me. The handling has been impressive and I’d say that it does handle better than my old GTI even with its upgraded Neuspeed rear anti-swaybar. Granted I have not pushed the car yet (as it’s only got 800 miles on her) but I do plan on trying to squeeze in a track day before the year is over. I thought that the electronically controlled steering and throttle were a bit hokey at first, now I really like them. Yes the entire feeling of the car is far more “digital” but I’m ok with that as it nicely balances out the “analog” feel of the Westy.

Another surprise for me is how much I like the DSG transmission. I popped in to see Trevor at VW of OP and he let me take one for a rip, after that I was sold. It’s like three transmissions in one and I’m still having fun playing with all of them. I can’t fault either transmission though, both are great.

The fit and finish feels better than my old car and that is saying a lot. The MkV was tight and quiet even at over 100k miles with no squeeks…nothing. I really liked that car. The Mk VII feels tighter and even quieter inside. The MkV was a unicorn of sorts; I never was left stranded except for a when the battery died. (I can’t fault the car for that though.) Sure I had to replace parts but everything that caused issue was well documented and typical. But I do maintain my cars and don’t beat on them.

I was averaging 26 mpg for my daily drive now with the new car it’s 29. An impressive improvement which I appreciate as I now fill up about every other week. Having a 7 minute commute to work does help as well.

Having a car with technology in it took some getting used to. I never thought much of Bluetooth cell and hands free phone connections but I like them now that I’ve become acclimated. I like that I can store music on SD cards as well. I like a little thump in my bass and it always irked me that the Westy’s audio system sounded better than my DD. Not anymore and I like the little subwoofer mounted in the spare tire. Smart.

Negatives: the stock Pirelli tires suck. I can break them loose without much effort on my part. I really feel that the cheap Hankooks I bought for the old GTI were far superior. Oh well, it is a wear item. I was concerned about the non-German assembly of the car but it wasn’t enough to dissuade me from buying it. I’m glad I did.

Another negative and this is going to sound really silly, is that it is a new car. I paid off my old GTI right away; it had some scratches and she had some dents on her so I didn’t care too much about where I went or parked her. Now I find myself actively looking for out of the way parking spaces and for alternate routes if roads are all torn up. It’s the nature of the beast I guess.

14. RoachinRay

RoachinRay Bags&Wheels BRUH

awesome write up, glad you are enjoying the new mk7 platform. When they were released a year ago, I thought...how can VW make a better GTI than the previous one, and they always seem to impress everyone! The car is very solid and tons of power. Its hard to compete with price points on cars like the Ford ST, but at the end of the day, its a VW and the quality is far more superior and you can't help but to smile when driving one of these. I try to stay away from driving the MK7's because it makes my GLI feel old and underpowered (which it is far from)

15. 8valvematt

8valvematt aka 3.2L 24 valve matt

nice!

the MK7's are definitely growing on me. my eye usually catches anything with a VW or Audi symbol but, the MK7 GTI and R seem to have a stronger visual appeal on the road. its quite amazing how the generations have evolved. im curious how well the future generation will look. However, its without question though that the MK4 was/is the superior chassis. you add a 3.2 liter VR6 and AWD...is hard to beat! ;)

[​IMG]

good luck with her!

16. RoachinRay

the mk4 with 1.8t's would have been an even better chassis if it had IRS!

17. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

Nice!

I'm super interested in dsg as I kinda want a dsg car as a daily soon. But I love the manual. So conflicted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. RoachinRay

One of my biggest conflicts too, but I think my big deciding factor would be how much stop & go traffic I am in during a 5 day work week and for me right now, its none. So I'll stick with the manual. But the DSG is all types of awesomenesssss

19. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

Not to thread jack but I don't usually hit much work traffic, but sometimes when I hit some manual isn't the most fun haha. I'm intrigued by the instant shifts, dsg farts and being able to take mods without needing a clutch too

Other thing is whatever I buy will NOT replace the R, so I will still have a manual car sitting around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk