2015 GTI - Unibagel

Discussion in 'Car Journals/Projects' started by unibagel, Jul 8, 2015.

1. LowlyOilBurner

LowlyOilBurner Posting- God

Ok... Explain. My chick digs the Dsg in her Eos big time. In fact, she uses the bang stick almost all the time. When I drive it, I use and love the "s" sport mode and it's great. I'm curious what I might think down the road if I wander into a Treg Tdi here...

2. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

why did you hate it?

are you still loving DSG chris?

3. Porkins

Porkins Squealing Pig

The biggest thing I hated was rolling stops or going through traffic circles. It would never downshift into 1st it would stay in 2nd or 3rd whatever it felt like doing at the time. There were times when it would do that and it wouldn't go anywhere (3rd gear starts bad) and I almost get t-boned or rear ended few times. I'd floor it in a oh shit moment it would then violently down shift to first and the tires would go a blaze. Passing on the highway...55/60 go to pass to get around someone quick would either cause it to go beyond red line and throw a light or not decide to downshift at all. "S" that was a laughable selection...it never would get out of third ever. Using manual mode was ok but stupid at that point I'd rather have a stick. It also had a shudder around 2500 RPM that never seemed to go away and I just accepted it and ignore. Some of the issues went away when they replaced the trans ECU but the no downshifting never went away. I was told that most of the issues would go away if I had the trans flashed but I refused to do it . I spent 600 on the ECU flash and spending another 600 or so for the trans flash is just dumb since i'd be giving away 1200 bucks when I decided to get rid of it. My auto-stick in the Tig was a way better trans loved it all day long. I would rather have had a auto-stick in the GLI than a DSG any day. Reason for going with the DSG was if the wife ever needed my car. Yeah that's not gonna happen again. I'm sure if you are going to drive a DSG like a stick its great but as a normal daily crawler it sucked my balls. Sorry for jacking the post

4. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Alrighty. I feel awkward as I am one of the Elders here and as such should be all “Get off my lawn, you whipper-snappers!” and complain about everything and such…..but I’m not feeling that at all.

All things have positives and negatives. The nature of the transmission makes it slightly jerky at low speeds under certain conditions. It’s like it gets a little confused as to what gear it should be in. While I do notice it, I don’t find it annoying and that’s with the 034 Motorsports insert installed. After driving the car for a few days you get accustomed to how it behaves and you adapt your behavior accordingly. (Much like I had to do when I had my ’85 MR2, I learned that one doesn’t suddenly lift off the throttle whilst going hot in a turn or the back end comes around.) If I am merging into traffic on the thruway I either put it in S or manual mode to keep the engine in the powerband, then slip it back into D when I am up to speed and safely merged. No biggie.

The MkVII GTI is a real peach and just seems to do everything right in my eyes. It looks good while not being especially attractive. It can get exceptional gas mileage if I choose to drive it conservatively. It feels quicker from the factory than my APR stage 1 MkV GTI. It feels like a much more expensive car because of the quality of materials on the interior (the leather seats are fantastic!). The Fender audio sounds great. The car just freaking sticks in corners, even with the crap stock Pirelli tires. Oh, I do also have to admit the “BRAPPP” coming from the tailpipes when accelerating in a sporting manner never fails to put a smile on my face. :)

That being said and I think this also rings true for the majority of new cars, it has a very digital feel about it. It does everything so well but it makes the driver feel just ever so slightly removed from the equation. And I think that is not just because of it being flappy-paddle vs. manual transmission. It’s the nature of the car and of new cars in general now. I’m alright with it though, that’s why there are old Porsche 911’s. And I will have one before all too long which will allow me to get my raw driving experience fix. Maybe my Westy has taught me that some “quirks” are just that and not really flaws at all and they just give the car a certain character.

Even now after 3800 miles I still really enjoy everything about this car. I’ve had many, many, many cars with standard transmissions. Mk1 jettas, GTI’s, a Scirocco, ’73 2002 Tii, ’75 2002, Subaru GL-10 wagon, ’85 MR2, MkIV VR6 Jetta GLX, MkV GTI and my Westy. I have loved them all. The DSG is a very impressive transmission and does most things well. I have not second guessed my decision to get this car with this transmission, even in a fleeting moment since I brought her home. In fact I stressed more about getting the Power Pack but even without that, this car is really, really good. I don’t have a big urge to mod it all that much either. Maybe that’s just the maturity that comes with age but I’d rather save that money and pickup an old P-Car instead.

sasquatch and rabbit20v like this.
  5. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

Thanks for the input.

I'm pretty interested in dsg, I would get the dsg tune immediately I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. synthetikv

synthetikv Well-Known Member

Car looks awesome Chris. Seeing all the mk7's hitting the streets makes me sadface that I didn't just wait for one.

7. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Thanks to a screaming deal on the 'tex, I unintentionally picked up a H&R 26mm rear sway bar. Installed in under an hour this morning, feels good!

[​IMG]

RoachinRay likes this.
  8. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Just picked up a Stage III LED trunk bulb and reverse light LED's due to DeAutoKey 20% off sale. :)

Much improved lighting!

RoachinRay likes this.
  9. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

I had the car rust proofed at Carwells last night. In it for the long haul!

10. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Latest updates: DeAutoKey LED kits for the Brake lights, rear tail and turn signals and the front turn signals. Flushed the brake fluid with Motul RBF600 brake fluid and EBC Yellowstuff front and rear pads are on the way.
    [​IMG]
    Stock vs. New
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaned up and repainted the rotors as well, I hate how they start to rust by the hubs!
    [​IMG]
    Oh, I went from this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked up a set of these Tracklite wheels, 17" and Conti ExtremeContact DW tires as I need something stickier for trackdays. :)))

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    RoachinRay likes this.
  11. BlackGTI

BlackGTI Well-Known Member

Looks good! So how much do those wheels weigh w/o tires?