20v valve spring tool

Discussion in 'Everything Technical' started by ejg3855, Aug 18, 2009.

1. ejg3855

ejg3855 Eric

Does anyone have the tool that is needed to remove the valve springs and keepers from the head so I can get the valves free to get them out.

Its VAG 3362 I think.

2. Haenszel

Haenszel Posting- God

a big hammer, and a deep socket.

3. ejg3855

ejg3855 Eric

How do I install then ?

4. Haenszel

Haenszel Posting- God

That's not what you asked.

5. ejg3855

ejg3855 Eric

That was helpful.

6. spam16v

spam16v Members Only

it's exactly what i would have posted, b/c that is what you asked.

this is what you would need to INSTALL them, make sure you put the plastic condom over the valve tip before sliding on the seals or you'll get to do it twice!

Schley Products, Inc 91400 Universal Valve Spring Compressor

(google image search)
    [​IMG]

7. ejg3855

ejg3855 Eric

Everyone is punchy today must be the heat. I asked if anyone had the specific tool

8. ejg3855

ejg3855 Eric

Do you have said tool I could borrow for a weekend?

9. ejg3855

ejg3855 Eric

GAP has this for rental. Could you elaborate on the plastic condom part. I am not new to installing valves but this head is awful elaborate.

10. LowlyOilBurner

LowlyOilBurner Posting- God

Why not take it to a professional cylinder head shop and have them do it? It's only like $500 to have a whole head rebuilt (labor only, more or less depending).

11. ejg3855

ejg3855 Eric

I want to learn, it doesn't look too difficult I just was curious if there was anything I needed to know specifically

12. spam16v

spam16v Members Only

lots, and you are likely not to have the tools. you can only disassemble and reassemble it with just the compressor. without multiple precision measuring tools, you can't even measure guide clearance, let alone cut and face valves and recondition the seats. also, once that is done, installed valve height must be measured and checked and valve springs shimmed appropriately afterwords. before installing springs, seat pressure must be checked to see if they are in spec @ installed height compared to factory specs. how have you established that your cylinder head needs service? is leakdown excessive past the valve seats? or has oil consumption increased? i would question ring sealing before valve seals, but valve seals are serviceable without breaking the headgasket seal also.

i taught these skills @ a NATEF certified school for some time before moving back to NY.

13. ejg3855

ejg3855 Eric

The measuring may be beyond my capacity, I am sure I have access to the facilities to get them but the know how may be beyond me. I bent valves in CYL #4 it doesnt appear to have damaged the seats from what I can tell, but I havent gotten the valves out yet.

I am gonna call a shop in the AM, unless I can pay you to do said tasks ?

14. LowlyOilBurner

Yeah Zac, wanna rebuild my AAN head?

15. spam16v

spam16v Members Only

just looking to slide some fresh valves in on the cheap? if the head is off, i'm capable of getting it fixed up for you for pretty reasonable. new valves are pricy, which valves are bent? all 5?

16. spam16v

spam16v Members Only

i wish, i don't have access to the carbide cutters or valve grinder anymore. if you know someone with the goods i would gladly do it. i could lap a set of valves in that 1.8t head right quick to get you back on the road. know any shops looking for a part time engine machinist? i could sure use the extra coin.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  17. ejg3855

ejg3855 Eric

I bent intake valves in #4. They don't look very bad they just don't seat any more. I am not sure if the guides, seals, seats need to be replace or not. I was going to order them just to have them put in for peace of mind.So I was gooing to have 3 new Intake valves installed and looking to get HD springs and TI retainers put on the other valves and Iconel exhaust valves installed.

18. spam16v

spam16v Members Only

intake valves are inexpensive, so are the seals, i can install them and check for stem clearance quickly and easily enough and get you back on the road. are you going to install high lift cams to justify the springs and retainers? as far as the exhaust, if they're not bent, i'd leave them be, they're already Sodium filled.

19. ejg3855

ejg3855 Eric

I have heard the stock exhaust valves are prone to failure? and that the Iconel are a common upgrade especially for people who are going to run larger turbo setups. I am only repeating what I was told by Pete@IE, that they stems snap with the HD springs. I am not going to put in bigger cams I am just looking for more rev's for the above statment so I have power band that is longer (30R kit will be ordered come early spring).

Do you think i will need new guides for those 3 intake valves that are wacky ?

I am not too worried about getting back on the road quickly.

20. LowlyOilBurner

The sodium filled valves will prolly hang on for a while, but they will be the straw that broke the camels back. I've heard of this being a common problem, the valve heads popping off with the addition of high rate springs, high lift cams, and high revs. It sucks, i'm slowly buying parts for my head, stuff adds up quick, but I'll be able to rev to 8k+ when it's all said and done.