Anyone working on random/cool projects? Car related or not!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 18t papa, Oct 9, 2014.

1. 18t papa

18t papa I'M OLD PAT!

I've been working on an interesting project lately and figured I'd post up a thread to see if anyone else is working on anything cool!

Here's what I've been working on...

Basically I'm building my own air ride controller for my '63 Rambler using an Arduino Mega and various other hardware. I've used Arduinos a couple times in school but nothing crazy, the first code I ever actually wrote for an Arduino was the air ride code I wrote last night and after testing the components today, it appears that it should work perfectly.

Why I'm doing it:
    The electronics, valves, and a few odds and ends cost me about $150 total and every aspect is totally customizable. For $150 you can buy half of a used accuair manifold, so you get the point.

Here's a pic of the major control hardware (minus Arduino):

[​IMG]

I'm running a 4 valve, pressure based system for simplicity and because its cheaper and easier to code than an 8 valve setup. The cool thing is that even though I only have 4 buttons, I can code strange combinations of button pushes to do weird things like bounce the front or some shit. I'm probably going to mount the Arduino, relay module (for the valves), the power supply, a fuse block, and a few relays on a sheet of polished aluminum to mount in the trunk. It should look something like this:

[​IMG]

And for the switchbox, I mounted the switches in the battery area of a 1960's/70's era GE Walkie Talkie, and the battery cover snaps on over it!

[​IMG]

In case you were wondering, yes the walkie talkie still works, the battery just doesn't fit in there any more... Also the antenna is like 4 feet long when extended which I though was hilarious.

I should be able to test the entire system next week when the correct relay module gets here. For some reason there are modules available that use 24VDC just for the relay coil when the rest of the board is 5VDC logic... Anyway, any suggestions and comments are welcome and lets see what else you fggts are working on!

2. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

That's pretty nifty!

We are in the midst of repainting our entire house, pulling up carpets and refinishing some hardwood floors.

So far lots of cleaning and filling small holes in walls. I think we will actually start painting Saturday!

3. Eric.t

Eric.t Well-Known Member

I am currently changing all the fixtures and light bulbs in my parents house over to led. Rewiring all the rooms with original wiring from 1957. Also adding vent fans to the bathrooms.

4. t-rent

t-rent popurhood Staff Member

I'm teaching myself Objective-C and Swift so that I can make apps for iPhones and iPads. Gonna make it rain.

5. t3h JAM

t3h JAM Minglor's Lover

6. Haenszel

Haenszel Posting- God

Let's just do it.

7. Eric.t

Eric.t Well-Known Member

This is super easy. I would help with this I am an Electrician.

8. Unit91MS

Unit91MS Well-Known Member

Sweet dude. I like the walkie talkie. How's the snowmobile coming along bertus?

I have several projects I've been dragging my feet on finishing for way too long... Mostly guitar based. And GTI based.

My scratch built semi-hollow tele project. Started out with some lumber and some plans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Built a parts Jazzmaster, played it for a few months, "relic'd" it, tore it apart to be refinished. Currently waiting to be refinished.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have a few custom effects pedals to finish soldering up/repair as well.

Projects with more progress, finishing painting my tiny garage and building a workbench next. Also putting hydraulic brakes on my bike finally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

barkeater likes this.
  9. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

I have a couple more little projects in store for the Westy over the winter, nothing major this year though (unless I stumble across a AEB 1.8T on the cheap, lol).

10. checko

checko Well-Known Member

Long over due project on the rabbit. I bought the C2Motorsports short runner intake last year, along with APR Carbinio cold air intake. Mingle gave me a BNIB Magnaflow muffler a few months back. And I just purchased a stock GTI exhaust unibagel to chop up!

Saturday after pickin up the GTI exhaust, my dad and I went to town chopping and welding and made this and painted it bbq black.

[​IMG]

Also put on the JDM TDI rear valance I had got when I purchased the car.

[​IMG]

Then Sunday night Bailey and I put on my SRI and CAI

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put the engine cover on, the air duct attached to the cover has the IAT in it. I may relocate it to the intake arm eventually.

[​IMG]

No sound clips of the exhaust. But it's surprisingly quiet at idle, not too bad when driving. It's deff loud when you get on it, and berbly on decel. I flashed my ecu with the C2 hand held tuner yesterday. It's supposed to get me near 205hp, raise rev limiter to 7,250, remove speed limiter, smoother throttle and no lag between shifts. I can verify everything except the actual hp gain. I'm curious, may get it dyno'd soon.

11. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

You don't notice any power increase? All of those mods are awesome btw, I was considering a 2.5 JSW just because there are some cool bolts ons.

12. Minglor

Minglor jamjamjamjamjamjamjamjam!

I bought at ls1.

13. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

14. checko

checko Well-Known Member

I deff notice a power difference. It's deff more spunky don't get me wrong. I wanna dyno it and see if it's close to 205. I guess the 06/07 rabbits were 150hp, 08/09 were 170.. I have an 07.

15. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

55 hp should be a hugeeeee difference.

16. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

I've been painting like crazy in my house getting ready to move in. Pulls up carpets and stuff.

Some before photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few after photos. Pink room still needs another coat of paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Can't say I would have choosen the same colors, lol.

18. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

Well pink is Lydias office, the purple looks less purple now that all the walls are that color. And who doesn't love Tiffany blue!

We just wanted to brighten up the place and it makes it look bigger!

19. 18t papa

18t papa I'M OLD PAT!

I would've rusted the walls... Jus sayin.

Cool to see what all you goons are working on! I bench tested the full management setup and it worked really well! Just need snubbers before the pressure sensors to kill the pressure spikes when the valves open and it should be perfect!

20. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

True it was dark as hell in there before.

No one cares fggt.