Ask a Professional Detailer

Discussion in 'Detailing Forum' started by Detailed Image, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Detailed Image

Detailed Image DITB Sponsor

As a new DITB sponsor specializing in automotive detailing supplies, I thought I would open a thread for people to ask their questions about exterior, interior, wheel and engine care of their vehicles. There is so much information out there regarding automotive detailing and we've been in the business for years. I have used a majority of products available on the market and have hand selected the products I stand by for our shop, www.detailedimage.com .

Don't be afraid to post up any questions that you have no matter how simple or complex it is. I'll do my best to give you a timely answer.

We really turned some things around with another forum we are active in, feel free to check out how our "Ask a Professional Detailer ..." thread on another one of our sponsored sites to see what we can help with. e46 Ask a Detailer We have over 750 posts and over 23,000 page views in just a matter of months. We hope to bring the same level of service and commitment to DITB.

Feel free to check out our website at www.detailedimage.com for some helpful how-to's, before and after pictures of cars we detailed, and full in depth descriptions of products we carry. Our new website is due to launch in May so keep your eyes peels for a new look and a lot of new features.

Once again we're excited to be here and ask any question you may have about automotive detailing.

Sincerely,

George Dushensky
    Detailed Image - Owner
    george@detailedimage.com
    DetailedImage4u - AIM

2. t-rent

t-rent popurhood Staff Member

A few weeks ago I did an application of Klasse AIO followed up with the Klasse Sealant. If I purchased the PC and some products to get rid of the swirls would I have to do anything prior to this since the sealant is already on there?

3. Detailed Image

Using light abrasives to remove scratches and swirls will also remove any layers of protection on the paints surface and start you with a bare clearcote. I'd personally say wait until you are ready to do another round of sealant after polishing to do the job otherwise you'll somewhat be wasting those coats you just applied. On a good note, things will apply much faster and evenly with the PC :)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

George @ Detailed Image

4. t-rent

I wouldn't mind wasting the coats that I just applied. I have a Jet Black car and the swirls are terrible to say the least, so they need to go soon.

5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Crash

i wash my car about everyday/every other day. and wax everyweek. Everyone always jokes that im going to wash the paint off. But seriously will i ruin it if i keep this up???

6. Detailed Image

Flooding the surface of your paint is the best thing you can do for it. As long as you are using proper washing and drying techniques you are doing no harm. If using improper washing and drying techniques, you'll notice a ton of swirls in your paint from washing incorrectly. Waxes are perfectly safe to apply as often as you wish, the only time you shouldn't wax / seal is when the paint has just been resprayed. It takes anywhere from 30-120 days for the paint to cure after it has been repainted. Over polishing, with abrasive polishes, on the other hand can be harmful to your paint over time (strip away your clear).

Hope this answers your questions.

George @ Detailed Image

7. BIG E

BIG E brĂ¼tal.

george and greg know their shit, there personal friends of mine.

i never met anybody who knew so much about detailing

8. willem

willem Godzirra

George,

I am refinishing the lips on a set of aluminum wheels. I have had them machined to clean up the big stuff, and am going to hit them with progressively lighter sand paper. The last step is to hit the with the buffer, I need some suggestions as to what buffer wheels and product I should use to finish this job off before I clearcoat them.. Any suggestions?

Where are you guys in Albany? I grew up in that area... Just curious...

9. Detailed Image

Good question, and to be completely honest, that's beyond my expertise. We haven't refinished wheels before other than polishing them by hand. Sorry, I can ask a couple of places I know though and try to dig up an answer for you.

Colonie area to be exact, about 2 minutes from Colonie Center and 10 mins from Crossgates Mall.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help in this situation.

George

10. M3318

M3318 Posting- God

I would use a wool pad and some utltra fine abrasive.

What grit paper are you using for the final sanding?
    I would suggest around 1500-2000 depending on the surface.
    Just make sure u clean them exceptionally well before you clear them.

11. willem

willem Godzirra

Thanks George I will tell you how it goes... I grew up just across the Mohawk river from you.. Actually right on the river by rte 9.

12. willem

willem Godzirra

George,

I am buying a newish to me car, and it looks as though it has never been really waxed and such. The paint job isn't bad at all, I just want to hit it with some abrasives and such to kinda start all over and get the paint to shine nice again. I have no clue where to start. Can you give me a blow by blow on what to do? And can you suggest some products to use. Oh ya, and i have the PC too. That will probably help..... anywho.. thanks for the help...

13. t-rent

Should have got the Paint Prep kit Willem ;) It has the clay bar and two stage abrasives.

14. Detailed Image

The Paint Prep Kit is a great start on our homepage. Other than that you just want to follow up with a sealant or wax which we can certainly help you out with as well. If you want to try some other brands such as Menzerna we can help put together a package. IMO the kit we have on our homepage is the easiest to use, but if you are looking for the best results I like the Menzerna Polishes myself, but can be difficult to work with.

I can help you out with the steps, just let me know what you end up picking up and I'll give you a step by step process.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image

15. 16vjetta

16vjetta Guest

as bad as this sounds how do i get deoderant out of my heated cloth seats. with out ruining them.

also how can i clean my headliner it has some black crap on it i think it is mud/or engine grease from one of my buddies the headliner is like a light grey i dunno its a light color im color blind