Attention: VW/audi owners still in warranty

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Related' started by budsdubbin, Feb 11, 2015.

1. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

It has come to my attention that those who are tuned or looking to be tuned that are still within the warranty period are at risk for being FLAGGED for the TD1 code. For those of you that arn't familiar with it... TD1 marks the vin for a modified vehicle. This isn't at the dealership level but the corporate implementation of the Guided Fault Finding system. Anytime your vehicle needs a update via obd2 or a adequate GFF log to perform a warranty repair (mainly powertrain related), your at risk of being flagged for the TD1. If vw tech line is needed for repair you maybe noticed sooner then later. If not right away your still at risk if the warranty repair is reviewed down the road. There are ways around it if the technician decides to not provide the documentation to back up the repair (no way around GFF if a flash update is needed) but then they are risking an audit for themselves and the dealership. Those of you that know us on here will do what we can but there is only so much that can be done.

This is not to alarm everyone.... This isn't the end of software options.... Maybe noone will be flagged but I'd rather inform you then see a thread blasting any local dealer for something thats out of the shops hads.

2. Haenszel

Haenszel Posting- God

I think this is only with the Siemens ECU's, or at least it was in the past.

3. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  4. Xander

Xander McLovin

I've hear of this "scare", but can't say I know of any local people actually getting "TD1ed". I never had any issues with having a tuned vw vehicle, and even the dealer I traded the R in at was totally cool with the car having a tune. I think if corporate VW/Audi has to approve of repairs this may come into play.

On the flip side, when you are modifying a car, and that leads to premature wear or failure of related items, you do have to take some responsibility. Gotta pay to play.

X...

5. t-rent

t-rent popurhood Staff Member

It's always a concern that it could happen.

I know there are a lot of tuned Mk7 GTI's that the turbo's blew on and they were all replaced under warranty. Granted Mk7 GTI stock turbos blow also, but you would think if your tuned GTI blew a turbo that chances are it's being hooked up to diag computers that would auto flag the TD1.

6. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

News flash, modified vehicles may not have their warranty honored.

7. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

someones been moody lately...

Everyone should be aware of the increased risk. Depends on if the warranty is being reviewed. Every now and then it happens.

8. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

I guess. I just don't think it should be news to anyone that going to the dealer with a modded car could raise red flags. FWIW the TD1 stuff is the reason I have tuned my TDI yet.

9. Basil VW

Basil VW DITB Sponsor

No manufacturer can "void" a warranty. However, warranty work may be declined. There has to be a correlation between the issue and the modification. Wheel bearing issue? Can't decline it because of a tune. Motor blows and there is a tune...you're probably going to have a bad time.

To say that VW is going to make your entire warranty 'null and void' because of a tune, isn't correct. Some dealers are more mod friendly than others. My advice? If you can't afford to replace it, don't mess with it.

- Beck

10. bloodtypevr6

bloodtypevr6 BLACK DUDE

Couldn't one just keep a spare stock ECU handy and just swap them for service?

11. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Easier said then done.
    You'd have to code all your keys to the ECU each time you swapped.
    On top of many other things.

12. Haenszel

Haenszel Posting- God

13. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

Correct! Guess I should have been a bit more detailed what the TD1 would pertain to.

Bloodtypevr6 - that would work.

I'm not saying everyones going to get flagged but the risk of being flag is much greater now that a log from guided fault finding is needed for proper documentation of a warranty engine or powertrain repair.

14. squid

squid No Bozo's

The newest TSB's I've been getting are all requiring documentation for coverage. The most recent I was reading was for the HPFP on the 2.0. In this particular case they want documentation for the specific code being thrown. I think more and more for driveability and other related repairs you will see documentation needed.