BMW S54 experts- listen to my car please

Discussion in 'All other Euro Cars' started by white4dr, Aug 22, 2014.

1. white4dr

white4dr Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone familiar with the BMW S54 engine wanted to meet up and listen to my car. I know these engines are normally very noisy but mine is making a ticking sound at idle when the car is fully warmed up, I can't tell if it continues after idle because the exhaust drowns everything else out.

Besides the noise everything works fine- no CEL, has plenty of power everywhere in the rev range. I heard it could be VANOS related but I don't have any of the common symptoms of VANOS failure (loss of low end torque, rough idle). The car has 50k miles, I planned on doing a valve adjustment and VANOS lockdown this winter.

Thanks,
    Robert

EDIT- This is in the wrong section

2. orangeMKV

orangeMKV Well-Known Member

Need an oil change by chance? engines like to get lifter tick when in need of an oil change. I'm not big on engine issues just first thing that comes to mind.

3. white4dr

The oil is 1000 miles old. I have a rattle that happens at 3500rpm then goes away by 3700rpm. I'm just not sure if its just the VANOS hub resonating or my cam bolts are loose/VANOS hub is cracked. Like I said I planned on bulletproofing the VANOS this winter, but if its about to go I'll have to shell out the money and time to address it now.....Sometimes I really miss my GTI haha

4. RHallock

RHallock TEAM HATE

you need a new fuel pump.

5. t3h JAM

t3h JAM Minglor's Lover

I feel like I remember something like this happening to one of the Jellers 3 series...

6. white4dr

What makes you say that? It idles and starts fine.

And yes I am aware Blackforest is the best indy in the area for these cars, he replaced my coilpacks when 2 of them decided to blow at the stoplight in front of his shop. He's also the only mechanic in the area i've talked who seemed competent on S54 specific work (VANOS lockdown, valve adjustments). But since I have a winter beater I can take my time and do the work myself.