Corrosion warranty coverage

Discussion in 'Basil Volkswagen' started by marm0lade, Jul 25, 2016.

1. marm0lade

marm0lade Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I have a 2012 GTI and I've got some bubbling paint and corrosion on one of the fenders. I have heard that the corrosion warranty only covers repairs if the sheet metal has been perforated. Is this true?

2. RoachinRay

RoachinRay Bags&Wheels BRUH

Yes, this is true, you might have to wait another few years for it to get really bad. I've seen quit a few warranties get denied here at the dealership, but it doesnt hurt to try. The worst they can say is no and then you try again later...

3. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Pretty crazy. You think they would want to be proactive about it.

4. 18t papa

18t papa I'M OLD PAT!

Lol I would just drill a couple of really small holes in the rusted area and spray salt water on it every morning for a couple of weeks, then you'll have natural looking perforation!

I certainly don't condone doing that, but I honestly would myself. This isn't 1976, a 4 year old car that wasn't beat/abused/crashed should not have rotted fenders but Volkswagens blow so they rot and throw CELs for no reason.

RoachinRay likes this.
  5. badnewsmini

badnewsmini Posting- God

I need to run up there. basil got my fenders replaced on my 06 but they had rotted threw,
    now my liecense plate light area has rotted out to the point the light wont stay up. :/

My MK4s never had the rust issues my MK5 does.
    don't get me wrong my MK4's had fender rot but that was it.

6. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Yeah it seems like the MK5s, especially the early ones were super prone to those issues.

RoachinRay likes this.