CTS: 50Trim build for the 20th spring 2010

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Related' started by budsdubbin, Mar 12, 2010.

1. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

Spring is in the air and I'm feelin pretty good.:alcoholic

So I decided to take the plunge because I got a decent deal on a great manifold and turbo. The reason why I picked this turbo is purly to preserve the bottom end until I can build it and still make some killer power. This turbo's also easier to service and cheaper then most. The build started last week with TurboJohnny there to lend a hand and a thirty rack to keep us at optimal efficiency. Took us around 4 hours to get the downpipe, turbo, manifold and oil lines out. I'll post some pics and fill you guys in on the removal but I won't be getting too indepth with the pics for that seeing as though its already out of the way.

The setup~
    -Precision 50 trim journal bearing turbo. 63a/r (theres always time to go -Ball Bearing and stage 3 wheel later on down the road after a built bottom end)
    -Tial 38mm wastegate (swapping to 10psi spring)
    -R1 APR diverter valve
    -Siemens 60lb. (630cc) high-impedance injectors
    -Custom SS TIG welded downpipe I plan on fabing up(waiting for material to be shipped in)
    -Custom intake with non oil treated filter
    -Tusdo 3" catless exhaust (getting band clamps seperatly DO NOT use those U bolt clamps)
    -Godspeed uprated FMIC.
    -Snowperformance stage 2 water/meth injection kit MAF/Vaccum based controller (mainly for detonation control for now)

I'm currently waiting to purchase the oil feed line kit from atp. Awaiting delivery of 3inch exhaust. When the exhaust gets here I can bolt that up and start on the downpipe/dump tube. I will also be ceramic coating the manifold and the exhaust housing. Once thats complete then comes the intake because I plan on using the maf so that I may run on the apr file for a while on 10 psi. When I'm ready to get the software I plan on going with eurodynes maestro file, which happens to be a program that allows you to fully remap your ecu based on changes in parts or if you simply want to customize your setup for optimal gains. I've heard really good things about the base files they send you aswell. Once I get the 630cc mafless file then I'll throw in the injectors and turn the boost up to around 17-21psi. When I'm ready over the summer sometime I'll step it up and get a walbro fuel pump and push the setup to 25.
    Guestimated hp based on dynos seen with this setup.
    12psi should be around 260whp
    17ish should be around 300whp
    23psi should be around 350whp pump gas (theswoleguy made 360whp at 21 with water/meth not what I'm expecting just what the kits capable of)
    26psi this kit has made 400+whp.

I don't plan on throwing a rod or floating valves so I'll be conservative until I get rods. But there was someone who was autocrossing on this setup with 430whp at 26ish psi with water/meth and believe it or not he didn't throw a rod but he dropped a valve about 6 months going hard on his setup.

More updates and Pics soon to come.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Injectors took me about 15 minutes once I got the spacers and longer bolts for the fuel rail.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Power coated exhaust mani/turbine housing. Oil feed line is removed. Also installed exhaust took me roughly two hours mostly because of what a pain in the ass it is to cut stock exhaust with a sawzall. Also I suggest those of you upgrading stock exhaust to do yourselves a favor and just unbolt the hanger brackets it'll make life a bit easier.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Things are starting to come together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  2. LowlyOilBurner

LowlyOilBurner Posting- God

Siiiiiiq! Are you sure that's not an Persision SC61?

3. LowlyOilBurner

LowlyOilBurner Posting- God

Oh, and big turbo bbq...

4. Mike.Mike.

Mike.Mike. DIRTY DEEDZ

Awesome! i wanted to do the same build pretty much! will be watching this!

5. Haenszel

Haenszel Posting- God

we're having a BBQ? down.

Careful with the boost on this one, or you will end up with a bay window with a nice view.

6. RocketSLC

RocketSLC Moderator

So is that a T3 exhaust housing? should be fun!

7. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

:fing02: shit will be biblical

Yeah I'll be keeping the setup at around 17-21 daily. I don't plan on going too crazy on stock block. Although theres only one case with a guy pushing his setup on stock internals, the guy ran 26-30psi and he dropped a valve. Block was fine.

Yes it is a t3.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  8. Haenszel

Haenszel Posting- God

estoy confudado.

9. OrangEa420

OrangEa420 Well-Known Member

frolick in a field of turbos Frank?

10. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

Its where dreams are made. If you blow it they will come.

11. youknowthis

youknowthis Well-Known Member

should be fun...we could always do it in the complex between our builds haha

thats a nice looking gasket in the first pic..how much it cost?

12. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

:scared1: stop it you know I'll be winning you 50 dollars tonight.

Anyways I just got the downpipe material in, I'm ordering the flanges tonight. I ordered the wrong size intake elbo so I'll have to reorder 3inch. Thursday I'l be getting the exhaust and I should have everything ready for fabbing up the downpipe.

13. youknowthis

youknowthis Well-Known Member

pics clown, unless your gonna bring it to my place.. but seriously we're ripping it up at karyoaky(no idea how to spell) tonight beotch!!!

14. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

Update I'm going to start cutting and measuring for the downpipe. My when I got the kit I realized the studs were missing and called clay. 3 days no response I get a knock on my door and they arrived priority mail. Thats customer service at its best.

15. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

830cc is a bit much for my setup and I'm going eurodyne anyways. Thanks though GLWS

16. ejg3855

ejg3855 Eric

SO what software are you going to run this on out of the gate? I was confused bc I read 630's and Maestro but thought that wasn't till summer.

Also Josh ran 360Hp and rev'ed to 8500 on a stock head and stock rods so I am not sure I would use him as a comparable number he was a bit crazy. Oh and he broke an exhaust valve and borked the whole motor 2 weeks ago.

17. Haenszel

Haenszel Posting- God

I would be careful with the boost, really. I've replaced a few motors that were running 22-24psi on gt28rs', 50-trim's and 60-trim's for as little as 800 miles. Don't get greedy.

18. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

Update: I threw on the manifold to get an idea of what kind of bend I'll need for the downpipe. I also removed the oil feed line to figure out what adaptor I'll need for the new line. I'll probably be reusing the stock flanges for the outlet. I also removed the stock injectors today to get an idea of what spacers I'll need for the fuel rail. Thanks for haenszel's idea I'll probably just use nuts to space out the rail a bit farther for the 630cc injectors. I'll post the pics sometime tonight.

19. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

Looks like I may have a little trouble with fitment of the inlet because of the inlet and outlet of the heater core.

[​IMG]

Mounted her up too take some measurements of the downpipe.:biggthump

[​IMG]

I didn't really have time to post the install of the injectors tonight but I'll end up doing that tomorrow or thursday.