Does anybody know someone who knows how to tune with VEMS?

Discussion in 'Audi and BMW Related' started by bloodtypevr6, Sep 11, 2014.

1. bloodtypevr6

bloodtypevr6 BLACK DUDE

I want to get vems for my urs4. Im gonna be running a gt3071 and would like to get vems rather than 034 motorsports tuning. Any suggestions?

2. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

I think innovative tunes VEMS.

I know dan, rocketslc, on here has tons of 034 experience and they should have a urs4 plug and play option and harness. Hit him up, his vrT swapped 4000 is on 034 and seems to be perfectly fine

3. bloodtypevr6

bloodtypevr6 BLACK DUDE

Yea I had Dans number but it got lost when my old phone broke. I'll have to pm him. Didnt know innovative t
    dealt with vems. I'll have to contact them also. Thanks.

4. 18t papa

18t papa I'M OLD PAT!

What kind of time frame are we looking at here? Pad Dunny got VEMD running in his Rabbit but that took like 3 years.

#H2Oi2017Prep

5. Mike.Mike.

Mike.Mike. DIRTY DEEDZ

Shots fired!

Dirty Dan should have tons of insight!

6. bloodtypevr6

bloodtypevr6 BLACK DUDE

Hahahahaha! Gonna be a winter build!

7. Haenszel

Haenszel Posting- God

Let's get it done for h2o instead then you can bark up the strip.

8. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

[​IMG]

9. Jeller

Jeller Posting- God

Mike at innovative has tuned VEMS if I recall correctly that is what Lowlyoilburner (angry matt) / jaeger had on the S4.

10. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't someone possibly 034 offer a chip tune solution for a 3071. That doesn't seem like a setup that would require standalone, it may have some added benefits but a chip tune would probably work just as well

11. bloodtypevr6

bloodtypevr6 BLACK DUDE

034's tuning setup for the 3071 is mild and is setup for a stock motor which means I couldnt get the full potential out of the 3071 down the line. My plan down the line is to have Jeff at Four Ring Performance rebuild my entire motor so I could possibly go even bigger than 3071. I already spoke with him and he qouted me a nice price to port out and bore my entire motor. The car currently has 220k but is in great shape! Im just looking for a decent upgrade over stock for now. The 2871 and 3071 are the same price and I could get alot more power out of it if my motor was built. I dont wanna get the 034 tune then down the line have to buy vems. Might as well get vems now imo. The 034 chip cost $900 and vems is $1400! Oh and Im not bringing my car to h20i. I'll be drivong an suv because my family of 4 wont fit in the s4 with luggage and baby stoller and shit! My car wont see h20 till next year.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  12. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

That's reasonable enough haha. Talk to dan about 034 EFI too, it's like vems but made by 034, not sure if there are any local tuners for it. But they do have a plug and play harness I believe

I've heard good things about vems, pretty sure angry matts urs4 had it

13. Haenszel

Haenszel Posting- God

034 is 1990's technology that is half-assed-ly adapted to be used today. As such, there are WAY better ECU's out there to be using that come in at the same if not lower price point than 034. Remember, there are probably a hundred standalone ECU companies out there each with different levels of features and price points. 034 is simply the one that all older audi guys gravitate to because they're being lied to and told its the only one that will work with their car - when in reality almost 100% of the other newer standalones will work both smoother, better and more reliably than 034 could ever dream on ANY car.

14. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

Works for me! I have no first hand experience just had heard good reviews for it.

Get on that lugtronic game, it must work it's holding up to haenszel's VR abuse

15. bloodtypevr6

bloodtypevr6 BLACK DUDE

I only see people running vems and 034 mostly. What other companies are out there?

16. Minglor

Minglor jamjamjamjamjamjamjamjam!

Megasquirt? People put it on just about everything.
    But not at all a plug and play solution and I've heard of local tuners refusing to touch it because so many people tend to botch the install (it's very diy) and then they have tuning issues.

I'm planning on running Holley efi in the nova.
    I don't think that could be adapted tho... ha

17. Bad Bunny

Bad Bunny Well-Known Member

TROLOLOL. Little nicky, you so funny.

Brandon, I have been very happy with VEMS. I bought a base kit from Marc Swanson at EFIExpress.com, pieced together my sensors, terminated a base harness, got the thing running on conservative maps, and used the data logging and autotune features within VEMSTune to get a very driveable, solid "tune." I hesitate to use that word, as I am just a hobbyist. Regardless, I'm very happy with it so far. The only suggestion i will give is that you cannot half-ass this stuff. Make sure all of your ducks are in a row and you have everything accounted for and buttoned up. For example, a leaking header will give a false WBO2 lean reading, which will compound itself once the engine starts to misfire. I'm not trying to scare you, but you have to be careful.

Brian, is Lugtronic tuning your Autronic, or are you not running that management anymore?

18. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

I was going to suggest that you stay away from standalone simply because IMO if you don't have a good idea of whats going on with it, it can render your car uselss, unless you spend a lot of $$.

But then I went over to EFI Express and see they have a plug and play kit for your car. I'd just run over to innovative or get ahold of turbociv on NYspeed before you buy it and see what they say. I assume that because it uses nearly all of the stock components they might be happier to tune to it, as long as they are familar with the software (seemed pretty self explanitory to me). Reason being is that a lot of tuners won't touch standalone systems because of bad experiences with people who thought they knew what they were doing on the install but in fact just did a hack job. Even if the tuner looks the build over before tuning its very easy to look over something especially in a messy engine bay.

If what they missed upon intial inspection causes mechanical problems with the car or makes the car very hard to tune, their name can get dragged through the mud and hurt business. Most of these types of customers are rare, and the tuners often times have plenty of other work (non standalone) that can be done so simply using a policy of I don't/ don't like to tune standalone isn't uncommon.

edit: #h20prep2017

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  19. bloodtypevr6

bloodtypevr6 BLACK DUDE

Yes I am definitely looking for plug and play! I found out VEMS and EFI Express have plug and play versions. Im honestly considering just going with an 034 Motorsports 3071 chipset for a more reliable practical upgrade. According to 034 it puts down 347whp 295wtq. I may just ride that until I can get the motor rebuilt.

20. RocketSLC

RocketSLC Moderator

Talk to Marc at EFI express and let him know your plans. I'm guessing he is going to point you towards VEMS. Its the way to go for your car. Plug and play is key.