I traded in the Tacoma about a month ago...

Discussion in 'All Non-Euro Cars' started by Dos Jotas, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Dos Jotas

Dos Jotas It used to say Admin here

For a 2010 Prius. Yeah I know, I drive an appliance now. Whatever.

I have been driving a lot lately for work, and anytime the wife and I went anywhere, we took her Fiat, which has driven the miles up and made her unhappy.

So I wanted something versatile, reliable, somewhat interesting, better on fuel, hatchback and heated seats.

That criteria really narrows your choices in a hurry. My first choice was a WRX hatch. After a ton of searching, I basically ruled them out because new they are insanely expensive with a few options. Used they hold their value way too well, and for the most part they are abused. One I took a look at had like 90K on the clock, the Carfax stated that it had been in two accidents, and had bald tires. and they still wanted $19K. F-that.

So the Saab enthusiast in me got a hankering for a 9-3 combi. They don't hold their value well at all, and for the most part seem to be reliable. I was really leaning towards an Aero trim with the turbo V6 as it didn't seem to hurt the fuel economy or reliability that much at all. But... That car is really hard to find, especially within 150 miles of here.

So I had to go with a different approach. When my wife and I were on our honeymoon a few years ago, we rented a Prius and toured the Pacific Coast Highway in California. The State offered a discount on rentals if you took a hybrid, so I said what the heck, we're doing a lot of driving anyway. Weirdly enough after spending 5 days with it, I really liked it. The car does a fantastic job of getting around. It's powerful enough to pass, quiet, smooth and the transition from electric to gas is almost hard to distinguish.

And then there is this to consider: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...iable-efficient-after-200-000-miles/index.htm

These thing are proving to be pretty indestructible. The biggest concern people have with Prii is battery life. At this point, after over 10 years of production, battery failure is rare. Toyota backs up their product with a 150,000 mile warranty on the battery. And if the battery fails after that, which again is rare, used batteries are available for around $500. What's a $500 repair on a vehicle with over 150,000? It's less than a timing belt job on most cars.

Speaking of belts, my 3rd gen has none. All of the accessories are electrically driven when needed, and the engine uses a timing chain. Also, a good majority of the braking is handled by the hybrid system's regenerative braking system. It's common for Prii to go 200K on the original brake pads.

So in searching for mine, I wanted one that was a little bit special. I found mine in Rochester at a Ford/Lincoln dealer. Mine is a 2010 V trim which means it has 17" wheels, heated leather seats, LED headlights and JBL sound. It also has the navigation package, which gets nav and a back-up camera. It also had the uber-expensive ($5000 when it was new) advanced technology package. This adds all sorts of do-dads like radar cruise control, lane keep assist, and self-parking. It's also Blizzard White pearl, which the people on Priuschat go nuts for. Pretty much the only item it doesn't seem to have is the solar roof package. Like I said, if I was going to go with the "most boring" choice, I wanted a special one.

The plan is to pay this thing off as quickly as possible and get a really interesting car for fun. I don't want to commit to anything yet, but I keep looking at 993s.

But anyway, I have been living with it for over a month now, and much to my relief, I am not bored out of my mind yet! It's fun driving it to get better economy and trying to outsmart the hybrid system. It's really well engineered. I have been keeping track of my fuel economy:
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/doublej/prius

You can see the huge decrease with the colder weather and winter tires.

So here are some pics:
    [​IMG]

With a set of MK4 Montreal IIs (they are 5x100 with a different center bore, i found adapters on Amazon for $20!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here comes the hate...

2. KurtCav

KurtCav Posting- God

If one person on this site would do this, it's you.

Good for you though.

Where's the tow hitch? That's like your #1 complaint about every car.

3. Slark

Slark Well-Known Member

Stop saying prii. Bag it.

4. t3h JAM

t3h JAM Minglor's Lover

A Prius is in my future too, they're great, as long as you have something else to drive for fun

Solid pick up man. Hopefully those $20 spacers don't become an issue

5. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

Wicked tampon on wheels you got there!

For real I would drive one though.

Those wheels look pretty decent. Lower it!

6. Xander

Xander McLovin

Good pickup, getting good mpg's is surely nice on the wallet, I tried that diesel thing for a year and decided I needed more fun. I'm sure you will get there too. Also I bet you will miss the Tacoma sooner than later when you "need to haul" something.

X...

7. Dos Jotas

It's coming in Spring.

No and NO.

These are the rings I was talking about: http://www.amazon.com/pieces-Hubcen...keywords=hub+centric+rings+aluminum+54.1+57.1
    I covered them with anti-seize, they should be good.

A lot of Prius people lower and run light aftermarket wheels. RPF1s are really popular. I'm not going to as I like the stock wheels and going from a tacoma 4x4 to a Prius is enough of a drop for me.

I might, but at the same time, I am pretty convinced that I will be able to haul whatever I would have haulled in my Taco in this behind the Prius: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...trailer-1700-lb-payload-capacity?cm_vc=-10005

8. RHallock

RHallock TEAM HATE

oh mon! looks sweet JJ!

9. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

As long as you are happy with it, that's cool. I am happy getting ~30 mpg with my GTI because of the fun factor.

Now lets here more about the 993.... ;-)

10. Xander

Xander McLovin

I've got a 5x8 trailer too, and I still miss my truck sometimes.

X...

11. t3h JAM

t3h JAM Minglor's Lover

Oh just rings?!? No shit. I thought you would know better than to buy and use $20 spacers or adapters!

12. Ghostrider

Ghostrider One world, one quattro.

Another Jetson's mobile roaming the highways of America. Just don't be one of those über nutty hyper milers who creep along at 50 in the left lane and s l o w l y accelerate after a light change. Why didn't you go diesel??

Like the house.

13. Dos Jotas

The big reasons that I didn't go diesel is the pricey fuel pump issue that the CRD VWs have been having, the fact that they hold their value so damn well, they don't get the awesome fuel economy that the old TDIs were capable of and diesel fuel is so expensive that it doesn't save you all that much money.

Prii are so cheap to run. Change the oil every 10K, no belts to replace, breaks last virtually the life of the car, tires when they wear. I'm assuming i'll have to replace tie rod ends and ball joints and blah blah blah sometime after it breaks 100k, but that's every car, so whatever.

The only advantage to the TDI is the interiors have much nicer materials and all of the switch gear has that high quality German feel to it. I miss that, but the Prius interior has some really innovative storage solutions and fantastic ergonomics. Some of the plastics are plant-based instead of traditional petroleum-based and they scratch a bit easily, but I guess that is the cost of saving the environment. I'm not too worried about it, as the Porsche I am aiming for in the next few years will surely have a fantastic interior.

14. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

...and so the thread moves to something of interest! LOL. What P-Car are you gunning for????

15. Matt Danger

Matt Danger Fullonrapist.

Last week Cass tricked me into looking at meatspin and until this thread that was the gayest thing I'd ever seen.

New house looks great btw!

16. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

That's a pretty neat trick!

I'm guessing some kind of 993 carrera

17. t3h JAM

t3h JAM Minglor's Lover

I can't wait to own a Prius. I wish I never got rid of doc Johnson :(

18. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

God I hate the Prius.

19. Dos Jotas

I'm all over the board. I have been researching all somewhat affordable 911s. I don't want to get into it for much more than 20Gs. It's a hobby car.

911 SCs are appealing because they have a bit of a classic look, but some modern updates. They also are really available.

84-89s have a bigger more powerful engine, but command a bit of a premium.

964s are a nice hybrid of old and new.

993s in my opinion look awesome. I love the 959 style headlights. But they are hard to find in decent condition in that 20K range

996s are the best deal going. They are hated on because they have some cheap interior materials, and some have intermediate and main bearing issues. From what I have read, the issues are not as prevalent as the internet makes them out to be (especially if you find an 02-03 3.6L), and if you find a 996 with the rare all-leather interior, the cheap interior plastics are covered with leather. The 996 is the only 911 that I have had a decent amount of time behind the wheel of. I drove a 99 Carrera Cabriolet to the auction in Butler, PA back when I worked for West Herr, and to this day I don't think I have driven a better drivers car. Everything about it was so good. The noise, the steering feel, the power, it was all about as perfect as a car can get.

As for the Prius hate, whatever. I am a technology geek. I love anything that is innovative and well engineered. The way the drivetrain works is so neat, that I am still fascinated. For daily everyday use cars, electricity is going to be a large part of how we get around in the future. Will Tesla's plan to have an infrastructure of high-speed chargers and battery swap stations happen in the next few decades? I think so. Electric motors are more efficient, quieter, have an enormous torque band and basically eliminate the need for multi-ratio transmissions.

20. Dos Jotas

Boxster's are really tempting too. There are so many inexpensive, clean examples out there. It's also one of the best reviewed sports cars of the the past 2 decades. I also really like convertibles.