I traded in the Tacoma about a month ago...

Discussion in 'All Non-Euro Cars' started by Dos Jotas, Dec 2, 2013.

1. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

Don't 996 non-turbo 911's have pretty bad IMS bearing problems? That would be almost enough to scare me off from them.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

I was/am looing at the 996's as well and i agree on all counts.

Boxster's are uber cheap right now but what scared me was trying to do anything on the engine without a lift.

3. Dos Jotas

Dos Jotas It used to say Admin here

From http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/414586-the-ultimate-preowned-996-buying-guide.html

With that being said, I have a tendency to think that the IMS issue is similar to that of the VR6 timing chain tensioner issue. The internet makes stuff sound worse than it is. Especially since I don't plan on daily driving this car. Although, how sweet would a Carrera 4 with snows be tooling around in the winter?

4. Dos Jotas

Dos Jotas It used to say Admin here

If you're not daily driving it, how much use and abuse are you going to be giving it that will require a ton of maintenance and repair? It might be worth rolling the dice.

5. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

Hmm seems like it's not toooo bad, but possible problems still exist. Hopefully they are taken care of already if there was a problem or as a precaution.

6. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

We should really start a new thread for this but, I've read that P-Cars in general are happiest when they are driven often.