Intake noises: "thump thump thump", then rattle with video

Discussion in 'Audi and BMW Related' started by SuperFan99, Mar 16, 2017.

1. SuperFan99

SuperFan99 Well-Known Member

I picked up a 2007 A4 a few weeks ago. When I started it up to move it after snowblowing last night, it was making this odd thumping sound at the intake.

Once the car warmed up, the sound changed.

I'm assuming this is a turbo issue, but the "thump" seemed too slow for that. Thought I'd check to see if any of you guys have any input before I start tearing into it.

Anything else I should be looking at?

2. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Dumb question, any CELs? Sounds like air, so exhaust leak, intake etc... Hard to tell from the video.

3. corolon

corolon Member

This thread's a month old, but I'll give it a shot: update? Did you fix the issue? What was the problem? I'm really curious, and it would probably help some other people too, if they ever have the same problem. Thanks!

4. squid

squid No Bozo's

Yeah, this is an old thread, but it sounds a bit like the the dreaded intake flap failure. At the rear of the manifold is the flap actuator. Especially on older cars the actuator fails or it just comes apart. Typical CELs are underboost.

Since it''s a gen 1 I'd be listening to the HPFP too. A badly worn cam follower can make noises too.

5. Deathproof

Deathproof Well-Known Member

Luckily my intake flap is still kicking on my TSI at 111k but I believe ECS has a fix for this for like $50 instead of replacing the whole intake. And on an FSI I would definitely change the cam follower as maintenance while I'm at it.