looking for a new computer...need help.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by XwalkerX, Dec 7, 2007.

1. XwalkerX

XwalkerX fist yourself.

yeah so im like half retarded when it comes to this stuff. i have like a 6 year old dell desktop right now thats still kicking but i think i would like to get something newer, faster, sleaker etc etc

so im not sure if i would be better off with a laptop or desktop. obviously i think a desktop would be cheaper for a similar product but at the same time i would kinda like the ability to take it anywhere esp with wifi capabilities.

ive been comparing hp, dell, and mac

any ideas?

i think i may go take a look tomorrow but i kinda dont want to go near the mall :pat:

2. t-rent

t-rent popurhood Staff Member

3. XwalkerX

XwalkerX fist yourself.

i dont need anything crazy like a pro plus i dont want to spend that much. not to mention if i buy from a store ill get 180 same as cash and the ability to finance it.

4. 93dx--hatch

93dx--hatch 01ci--coupe

I just picked up a Dell vostro 200 for my assistant

It is very simular to the one below except the one i bought has a 19in wide screen and a 160 gb HD, and 1gb of ram. I paid $488 out the door and that included free next day business shipping.

Check out Slickdeals.net

# ntel Core2 Duo Proc E4500 (2.20GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800FSB)
    # Genuine Windows XP Home Edition or Windows Vista Home Basic
    # Dell 20 inch Widescreen E207WFP Flat Panel Display W/ DVI
    # 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz - 2DIMMs
    # 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
    # Single Drive: 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
    # Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
    # Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    # 1 Year Ltd Warranty with Next Business Day On-Site Service

5. Haenszel

Haenszel Posting- God

6. EvilJay

EvilJay Hate Inc.

I wouldn't trust haenzel....you're laptop would probably break after a few pulls walker.....

7. Haenszel

Haenszel Posting- God

ruthless.

8. lady bug

lady bug Posting- God

don't trust him. one of his laptops actually started on fire.

if you're not looking to spend a lot of money buy a dell or hp, i've been using a new hp laptop at work and my only complaint is the glossy screen annoys me.

9. Smaefer

Smaefer HEATED 24/7

By a macbook and call it a day.
    I can get really good deals @ UB micro. Cheeper then buying from the stores.
    Take a look here UBMicro and tell me if you see anything you like. I can go in and get it with my ID for you..

10. XwalkerX

XwalkerX fist yourself.

thanks for the offer but the macbook just doesnt cut it for me. its got way to much stuff that i would NEVER use. after looking at a bunch and taking into account my student discount at a few locations i came up with this config of an hp...

Your Shopping Cart

Item description Each Qty.TotalRemove[​IMG]HP Pavilion dv6500t Special Edition customizable Notebook PC
    EPP_00_GM816AV
    • – Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
    • – Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T5250 (1.5 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
    • – 15.4" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
    • – 75% OFF Upgrade to 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)!!
    • – Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    • – HP Imprint Finish (Influx) + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam + Microphone
    • – Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    • – FREE Upgrade to 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive!!
    • – SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
    • – No TV Tuner w/remote control
    • – High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    • – Microsoft(R) Works 8.0
    • – HP Wireless Laser Mini Mouse (White) and Mobile Stereo Headset (1 pair, White)
    • – HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
    [​IMG] $902.39$902.39 [​IMG]HP Photosmart C4280 All-in-One
    EPP_00_CC210A#ABA [​IMG] $89.99$89.99 [​IMG]Belkin Vista Migration Cable
    RY185AA [​IMG] $37.99$37.99 [​IMG]HP 6' USB 2.0 Cable
    RS971AA#ABA [​IMG] $14.24$14.24 To change quantities or remove selected items, click on Notebook instant rebate–$100.00 Notebook instant rebate–$100.00 PC+Printer instant rebate–$50.00 USB Cable rebate–$5.00
    Order subtotal
    (includes APP discount) $789.61

11. squid

squid No Bozo's

HP supports sucks big time.

It's all offshore and about all you get is instructions on how to re-boot. If you don't go through the tedious click here then click there and let them walk you through re-booting then being on hold for a long time while they decide that they don't know what's wrong thern tell you "Good luck and please contact us should you have any further questions", As you noticed 45 minutes exactly have elapsed.

The machines are basically good, but HP updates often break what was working, Then again when you call in, they tell you they checked all the updates ands they all work...must be something you did.
    If you get one that works, you're golden..just hope and pray it doesn't ever break or you're screwed. It's now been over a year since I got my last one and I'm still trying to get it to work. It's been escalated to the executive office and they've replaced it twice. Their "expert" support is supposed to call me on Monday to work on it again.

12. Fightinmike

Fightinmike New Member

Thats a nice price for everything, better than what you can get at Dell right now. I have 2 pieces of advice for you:

1) WAIT. Seriously, its near xmas, prices will drop as the holiday comes. After the holidays they may go down even more. If you miss this deal, there will be others.

2) Vista on that machine is useless. With the speed of the processor and the onboard graphics, you will notice a very sluggish system with aero glass enabled. Turning that off, there is no benefit over XP, in fact it's probably only a disadvantage to run vista over XP at this point.

13. XwalkerX

XwalkerX fist yourself.

thanks for the advice but it came just a bit too late i ordered the hp on mon. as for vista i hear nothing but bad things about it i plan on installing xp when i get it...

14. lady bug

lady bug Posting- God

did your computer come with xp as an option? if not we have a bunch of copies of it here at the office, let me know if you need one.

15. XwalkerX

XwalkerX fist yourself.

no it didn't actually so I am prob going to need to take you up on that offer and most likely you to show me how that's done haha

16. squid

squid No Bozo's

Vista SP1 just released. I just got the notice this morning. Haven't looked at it yet though.

Vista is....ok. actually not a lot of bugs, but it's different. They assumed a lot when they did the redesign. Figuring on automating a lot of things. Trouble is the automation takes away a lot of control that you really did actually want. A bunch of stupid things enabled out of the box that you need to figure out how to disable to make it work like you want.

I guess I like it?

It is a memory hog though, 1gb is an absolute minimum to make it work ok. Processor speed is ok with that configuration. And they did actually fix a lot of things that you had to fudge to make work before. Things like syncing and networking are a whole lot better. FTP is lightyears faster than before and is a lot more reliable.

The absolute WORST thing is that there is NO support. The help system is totally useless. If you do a search on anything whatsoever all you'll get back is a bunch of marketing crap on how it will make you life better, but nothing about the actual thing you were searching for. Online support is just as bad. It's as if it doesn't exist. For any problem you try to look up online, you'll find the answer for XP, but not a word for Vista. I chatted with an MS MVP the other day and he had no clue as to what was wrong and told me to let him know how I fixed it.

I'd say try it with Vista and fallback on XP if you don't like it. Give it some time though.

17. 85quattro

85quattro Well-Known Member

well for a cheap desktop wally world has one model that is pretty stripped but does come with XP not vista.... $295!

On another note I got a compaq C508 notebook as an open box for $275. good enough for me to use for work on the road.,kinda stripped but picks up wireless signals real well!
    my one real issue is i cant seem to find the product key for the ms office home /student edition 2007 that came with it, i only have 8 more times i can use it without entering a key, so looks like i gotta buy one my contracts are in word format.

18. Mike.Mike.

Mike.Mike. DIRTY DEEDZ

yeah man..i have Vista..And it sucks..I play COD4 on it..and it makes my graphics card crash..its retarded..and it has a TON of little things that make you bite your nails lol.

OH how i miss xp