mk1 golf/rabbit headlight upgrade?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Related' started by Mr. Moo, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo New Member

Does anyone know of a stock appearing headlight upgrade for the mk1 golfs/rabbits? I have the rectangle glass headlamps with the three prong connector. I'm having terrible night time vision with the stock headlamps and would like something to remedy that. If there's an LED or HID conversion kit available that fits in place of the glass incandescent headlamps and looks stock or close to it, then i would really appreciate a link to somewhere i can buy them. Thanks everyone, hope i can find something.
  2. JKaczor

JKaczor Well-Known Member

Paging rabbit20v.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Putting an LED bulb in an old lens is less than ideal. If you wanted to swap to 7" round, then your options are many for better illumination. Cheap too, I might add but alas, still not LED done cheaply.
  4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo New Member

So the only option i would have is to swap out to the round headlamps? I'm not opposed to it as i do enjoy the look but how much is involved in that? Wouldn't you have to cut and weld in a different front fascia?
  5. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

They are several options.
    The first I would do is to build your own headlight harness with a relay for both high and low beams.
    Second, you want to ditch the sealed beams and find a Euro Spec headlight that uses standard bulbs, in most cases H4 bulbs.
    If you want to do a LED upgrade, I've seen a few MK1 guys use these

I have never seen them in person, but people seem to like them.

If you wanted to do HID, I'd suggest finding a headlight that has a built in projection housing.
    They're out there.

Good luck.
  6. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

I know a Vanagon guy who makes quality headlight relay kits, he may put together a wiring kit for you... LMK. :) He does great work, I have many of his products on my Westy.