MK3 TDI for my daughter, the craziness continues

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Related' started by vw to bimmer, Oct 11, 2015.

1. vw to bimmer

vw to bimmer The Krazy Professor

Picked up a 98 Jetta TDI for 1200. Needs some body work, few minor mechanical things.

I am having my daughter have a vested interested in the car. She will have to participate in its resurrection.

I am going to replace the rockers and the front drivers fender and grill. The rest I should be able to fab myself.

I figured with only 143K on the diesel and a 5 speed it should have a good amount of life in it and it won't break the bank to fill it up.

Here is a quick front shot, grill was removed but just sitting there.
    [​IMG]

Removed rear bumper and lamp because I found moisture in the trunk. Fortunately it had not caused the trunk to rot. It was coming from a old repair so I ground it all down and making a new patch panel. Going to cut out the bad.
    [​IMG]

More Pics to follow.

2. vw to bimmer

Does anyone have a set of Mk3 seats, gray, black biege for relatively cheap? The ones in the car need help and a swap would be much easier.

3. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

In for this one.... If I recall didn't the all road start out for your daughter and end up with a 6spd ko4 swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. vw to bimmer

Not exactly, it was for her to lean how to drive. Things took their natural course....And at this point you all know I'm f'd in the head.......

This is really her car, as long as she puts in the effort. However, it still is in my name :p

5. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Awesome! I'm interested to see where this one goes. MK3 TDIs might be the slowest car of the modern era, but they are like tanks, that is as long as the ECU/wiring harness isn't water cooled. :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  6. vw to bimmer

slow and steady is a good thing compared to stage 3 ;)

7. vw to bimmer

looks like I may have found a full set of mk3 black/gray seats. Going to look at them today. The color should complement the beige interior.

8. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

If that falls through, I know someone with a full set of beautiful black leather interior
    Paging Euromut

9. vw to bimmer

I thought about Séamas' , but he would be insulted if I offered him $100 o_O. That is what the cloth set is priced at. Trying to keep total costs down, but still add some cool touches.

10. euromut

euromut MrThirsty

Well, If you need anything, I am parting the whole car.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
  11. vw to bimmer

Picked up full set of seats like these for $50, they ended up being mk4 seats, but they can be retrofitted to the mk3.
    [​IMG]

12. euromut

euromut MrThirsty

Dont Mk4s mount with typical 2 rails? while Mk3s still use the old VW 3 rail system?

13. vw to bimmer

To make the change you have to trim the wheel on the mk4 seats to 8mm to fit in the track of the mk3 and remove the center rails from each seat and swap.

I'll post pics as I do it.

14. vw to bimmer

got a bit done last night:
    Cut out bad: [​IMG]

Patch almost ready:
    [​IMG]

Took off front and bad fender, not worth trying to save for $80..
    [​IMG]

15. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Your shop floor is so nice. What kind of epoxy did you use? Did you grind first?

16. vw to bimmer

I used epoxy-coat, Love it. It is actually quite dirty in the pics, needs to be cleaned.

I applied it over new concrete so I only acid etched. If i do it in my regular garage I will grind or shot blast after degreasing.

17. vw to bimmer

Also, The reason I chose this color scheme it hides all grinding and welding burn marks. Those marks will turn any epoxy black or dark brown, with this color scheme and flakes they blend in. If your garage is not a working garage then it does not matter. For a 2 car garage I used 4 lbs of flakes as a reference.

18. Minglor

Minglor jamjamjamjamjamjamjamjam!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

19. vw to bimmer

New parts are starting to show up!
    [​IMG]

20. vw to bimmer