Mk4 GTI Burning oil

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Related' started by goran3, May 1, 2017.

1. goran3

goran3 New Member

So I'm new the forum and I'm looking for some help. I drive a 2003 Gti 1.8t and it recently started burning quite a bit of oil. So basically this is how it goes when I drive it, when the car starts everything is fine and dandy, after about I'd say 5 to 10 miles (after the oil heats up) when I accelerate and shift, after every gear it will shoot out a cloud of blue smoke. It only does it when the oil is hot and the viscosity goes down so I feel like it's definitely leaking somewhere. Things to note: the head gasket has been done, I just replaced the pcv hoses(due to one being split compeltley open), it has 140k on it and I checked the turbo and it seems tight. Around the egr valve and top of the turbo there is definitely some oil build up. I cleaned it off and checked again after a hundred miles or so and it appears there is fresh oil there altho not much at all. I'm running full synthetic 5w-40 in it and there's to be no lack of power or drop in power at all. There is one engine code and it's P0171 but I'm pretty sure it's just the sai pump. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated sense I've already put hours upon hours of looking and searching and trying to fix the thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
  2. Porkins

Porkins Squealing Pig

3. JKaczor

JKaczor Well-Known Member

I've got money on valve guide seals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Porkins likes this.
  4. goran3

goran3 New Member

Just checked the intercooler piping and found about half a cup of oil in the Intercooler itself...tubero going bad?

5. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Oil in the intercooler is normal. These turbos will consume a bit of oil normally, but excessive blue smoke is not normal.
  6. goran3

goran3 New Member

I heard a little bit is fine also....but half a cup??