MK4 Jetta suddenly shutting off

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Related' started by blackbullet, Aug 23, 2016.

1. blackbullet

blackbullet Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, has anyone come across their car shutting off while driving, then not starting for awhile? I have a 2001 Jetta VR6 5 speed, and when I drive, the dam thing shuts down on me and wont start for awhile. I thought it was because my catalytic converter was bad so I replaced it, but it's still doing it. Also there is no check engine light on so it's making trouble shooting hard for me. Any help would be great.

2. badnewsmini

badnewsmini Posting- God

Crank position sensor
    Or fuel pump.

Need to get your hands on vag-com and monitor cps when it's a no start condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. blackbullet

i changed my fuel pump early this year with a new Bosch so I ruled that out. I heard it could also be a camshaft position sensor. I might just change both the camshaft and crank sensors to see if that fixes the problem.

4. checko

checko Well-Known Member

+1 for vagcom...

Or just throw parts at it hope it fixes it

5. blackbullet

If I had vagcom I would use it but since I don't Im kinda screwed

6. badnewsmini

badnewsmini Posting- God

dont eliminate it without testing... do you hear the fuel pump when its not starting?
    when its not starting check for 3 things, fuel, air, spark

odds are its not an air issue, but you could unplug the MAF and see if it will run then could be a vacuum issue.

Spark, pull a wire check for spark, if you dont have it could be CPS but without Vag com (see if you can barrow it?)

Fuel, do you hear the pump when you turn the key to on when there is a no start condition? do you have pressure at the rail?

if your missing fuel and spark then could be sensor/ecu issue as it controls both.

7. blackbullet

Fuel pump kicks in when I turn the key. I will check for spark when I get home. I will have to get a gauge to check pressure at the rails. Would you know off hand the psi it should be?

8. blackbullet

So I got home and pulled my plugs to take a look see. One of them was loose, and the grommets on the wires were all cracked. I'm going to get some new plugs and wires since those seem to be shot.

9. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

But did you check for spark? Just do a couple simple checks, it will save you time and money.

10. blackbullet

Yeah I checked for, and definitely getting spark. The rubber grommets in the wires that sits on the plugs all ripped about. I ordered new Bosch wires because these are crap. Should have an update in a few days.

11. Dos Jotas

Dos Jotas It used to say Admin here

Did these cars have ignition switch issues like so many other VWs have had? I want to say I had a MK3 Jetta and a B4 Passat that had ignition switch issues. Try wiggling the key while it's running and see if it stalls out, or wiggling the key if it is in it's no start condition to see if it fires up.

12. badnewsmini

badnewsmini Posting- God

na, MK4 didn't have the MK3 ignition issue.

you really should find out the issue before throwing too much money at the car.
    it would suck if you find out there is low compression or somthing

13. blackbullet

It needed a tune up by the looks of the wires and plugs anyhow. I got a bosch crank position sensor of Amazon for 20 bucks so so far I'm not spending a whole lot of money. The sensor should be in monday... hopefully.

14. blackbullet

Been awhile. Just want to close out this post if anyone has the same problem as I had. So the culprit was with my ignition coil. When the dam thing would warm up, it would kill the car, shutting it down. It stumps the mechanics at VW for a bit because it would fire up, then when I go to get it it was dead. Needless to say, replace the coil, and all has been good since.

15. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Good to hear, thanks for checking back in!