MK4 sometimes clunks into 1st and reverse

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Related' started by blackbullet, Jun 12, 2017.

1. blackbullet

blackbullet Well-Known Member

So I recently picked up an 03 Jetta 1.8t for $500 with a blown clutch. I put a new clutch kit in it that included throw out bearing, pressure plate, clutch and flywheel. The weird thing is that when I go to put it in gear, if I don't pump the clutch in a few times it clunks into 1st and reverse. If I do pump it, the car shifts fine. Could this be because of a bad slave valve? The one in there now doesn't leak or anything.

2. JKaczor

JKaczor Well-Known Member

I'd try bleeding the clutch first. We have a gizmo at work that pushes fluid from the bleeder on the slave back up to the master. Works tons better than a traditional bleeding method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. blackbullet

Where do you work? Is it expensive to have this done?

4. JKaczor

I work at VWOP. You'd have to call and ask, I honestly wouldn't know. I'd offer to do it on the side, but I've been far too busy and the garage is full of junk that doesn't belong to me.

5. blackbullet

Ah VWOP. I have spent many a days there over the years. My vr6 spent a few weeks there last early fall for a mind f of an electrical problem. Turned out to be a bad ignition coil. The guy in parts I think his name is Jamie is cool as hell. He tends to laugh when I come in to buy parts or repairs lol.

6. blackbullet

You wouldn't happen to know why my coolant light might be flashings would ya? I changed out the crappy looking coolant sensor, and just replaced the overflow tank. The plastic piece inside was broke and the prongs where serverly corroded. Dam light still flashing.

7. JKaczor

I'd check the connector/wires for coolant seepage/corrosion. I've seen coolant seep into the wires and make its way to the instrument cluster....

8. blackbullet

You're talking about the connector on the overflow tank correct? I notice some corrosion on the connector. I will clean it our when I get home. I'll let you know hownot turns out. Thanks

9. JKaczor

Yea that be the one! If you can't clean it out I might have a connector that'll fit kicking around in my tool box.

10. blackbullet

Status report.... I put the car on the road Saturday and drove into work to day. Car drives great. No more clunk into 1st or reverse. I'm still having the coolant light flash though. I cleaned out the connector pretty good, but doesn't seem to have do the trick. JKaczor, if you have a connector that would be great. Let me know if you do... Thanks.