mkVI

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Related' started by wbpolk, Aug 7, 2008.

1. wbpolk

wbpolk Hello, my name is Dan

so not sure if this was posted before, but....
    the MKVI sure looks like it should have been the MKV. just my opinion.

still a nice car.

mkVI
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. boostjuice

boostjuice Active Member

i like the headlights...

3. chemicalbro13

chemicalbro13 WTB: Parts my brother is probably looking to get r

why do you think the mkV is better looking?

4. Porkins

Porkins Squealing Pig

from autoblog....

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']In what may be the least shocking news you will read today, Volkswagen will indeed be launching a revised GTI model shortly after its recently revealed sixth-generation Golf (or, Rabbit, as it's known in the U.S.) hits the market. According to [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Autocar[/FONT], the next GTI will steer even closer to its original hot hatch mission, with VW reportedly giving the new model a "harder edge" than the current GTI. Underhood, at least in Europe, will be the same 2.0L TFSI engine that powers the base Audi A5, featuring Audi's valvelift technology that helps it offer up 208 hp at 4300 RPM and 258 lb-ft at 1500 RPM. That ought to make for a very spirited, though still relatively frugal ride.

What may be even more interesting news, though, is the replacement for the R32 model. Volkswagen won't be keeping its narrow-angle V6 underhood any longer, instead opting for a high-boost 2.0L with 265 horses and an 'R' moniker. All-wheel drive is also on the menu. Sounds like a bargain
    Audi TT-S to us, to which we simply say, "yes, please."[/FONT]

5. Dos Jotas

Dos Jotas It used to say Admin here

I dunno. Part of the charm of the .:R is the VR6. I thought they were working on a 300hp .:R36?

6. t-rent

t-rent popurhood Staff Member

R36 - pretty sure it's been for sale for awhile across the pond

Passat R36 Announced

7. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

"The recently unveiled VW Golf / Rabbit MkVI will form the basis for the next GTI as well, but we already knew that. What is news is that the GTI car will get a version of the revised 2.0-liter TFSI engine, good for 211 horsepower andd 258lb-ft of torque, which represents improvements of 11hp and 51lb-ft. The latest iteration of the evergreen hot hatch is likely to arrive in European showrooms by the spring of next year, with a U.S. release expected near that time as well.

A concept version of the car could make a car show debut by October, however, says Autocar. To complement the added power offered up by the new engine, VW will improve the car’s steering feel and accuracy and handling performance.
    On the outside, the car will get Audi-like LED daytime running lights, and new front and rear fascias along with unique head and taillights to differentiate it from lesser Golfs / Rabbits. The wheels will also grow an inch in diameter, with the base GTI rolling on 18-inchers and 19s offered as options.
    Under the hood, the new global EA888 engine will sport changes that will make servicing faster and therefore less expensive for owners, thanks to easier access to the turbo and oil cooler. The power boost is largely owed to a variable valve lift system developed by Audi. The all-wheel drive R32 model will be discontinued, and replaced by an AWD GTI-R with the same turbo motor from the Audi TT-S, making 265 horsepower."

"Left Lane News has it wrong (or at least compilated info from a variety of sources that aren't correct).

Right now the plan is a Golf R36 with a 300hp 3.6l VR6. That *could* change of course, but that's the current plan for the German market. No decisions on the Golf VI R model have been made for the U.S. yet. My guess though is that the Golf VI version of the R car will be even more expensive and VWoA may pull the plug on it for this market - we'll see.
    The GTI version of the Golf VI may actually still be shown at Paris at the end of September/early October. They did that with the Golf V introduction at Frankfurt where the GTI was shown in production trim, but as a "Design Study". The Golf VI goes on sale before the end of this year in Europe. The Golf VI GTI will go on sale in Europe next spring. We will see both models here next September (unless VW changes its mind again, but we'll see what happens). There are power bumps to the 2.0T GTI planned but they may be more paper-spec than reality. The existing 2.0T is already making more power than the 200hp advertised so VW can easily say it is now 210hp or whatever when little has actually changed. A better bump would be up to 230-250hp but that will also require the new locking front differential which adds even more cost to the car. We'll have to wait and see what VW does."

8. Dos Jotas

Dos Jotas It used to say Admin here

That's what i'm talking about! Give us something to compete against the Evo and Sti! With a real manual transmission too!

9. KurtCav

KurtCav Posting- God

i agree with JJ.. i think the manual transmission will make or break it.

10. Dubinbuffalo

Dubinbuffalo Banned

I'm all for this but by the time this unicorn comes out, the STi's and Evo's will have 400hp. VW should just start a division that makes AWESOME concept cars that never materalize

11. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

They already have that
    How many times have they said we're getting a mid engine RWD sports car?
    I've seen at least two concepts, and in the autoweek I got yesterday
    they have another one out.

12. Rovert

Rovert Young Steak... aka Veal

i like the MKV better, the MKVI looks closer to a MKIV so i guess it would have been better in the first place, so kinda seems like they would be takin a step backwards in the style department imop. looks like the new imprezas. to grownup lookin, less eye catching. they should leave that for the passat and jetta

13. murdock

murdock Posting- God

it looks like a suby ... FML
    im just going to buy fords from here on out

14. Rovert

:bsflag:

15. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

I love the new look I also think this should have been an mk5 but the new r36 should be a great motor to tune. All depends on the body and tranny we are working with. Hopfully it sheds a few pounds coming from the mk5 r32 and it definitly need a manuel tranny. I think that killed the marketing for most enthusiasts out there. I highly doubt they'll be pushing the evo and sti to 400hp out of the factory before it comes out. Unless the evo and sti gain some mad wieght or they up the price about 5-10g's to aim for the skyline which is tough to beat. Car is sooo much better looking in person

16. Rovert

im pretty sure in europe and asia they offer versions of the evo with over 350hp. im not sure ab the sti but if mitsu does they probably also do.

the R32 whichever way it goes will never roll off a dealer lot and kill an STI, thats not really the point of the car. im sure if they do offer a larger motor without an auto tranny more ppl will buy them, but with the price of the cars and such i think its always going to have its usual VW charm and the same people will buy them, not going super duper fast, but to have a fun awesome car that any enthusiest will appriciate.
    as far as the MKIV i just think its craps shoot, ppl might buy them but it still seems like a step back for me.. the MKV is so different and when i look at mine- i see a lot of other cars in it, the turn signals in the headlights remind me of a porsche, and the lower rear arches make me think of e36's. the stripe on the hood, the seats and red calipers just make it feel like its a real GTI again, it feels like it should. i understand that the MKIV is only the 'golf' but it makes me wonder, with how well the rabbits seems to be doing and the look of the GTI- where is this MKIV headed? and what can we expect as far a gti from that.

17. DBR007

DBR007 Posting- God

18. budsdubbin

budsdubbin Posting- God

yeah they probably do in asia but I really don't think that there will be over here. I mean you could probably ship them over here or do an engine swap but out of the factory at the dealer they will not offer them.

19. Jeller

Jeller Posting- God

ECU Flash, intercooler piping, FMIC you can put down 300whp on a new evo. Soooo not too far off that 400 mark with a pretty stock car imho.

Disclaimer.... ( I know its made from tin cans and your vw "build quality" is far superior, blah blah blah, but the new evo fit/finish seems to be better than mine. Come out to a track day sometime for a ride :fing02:

Jeller

20. DBR007

DBR007 Posting- God

These cars are offered in the UK, and prob many other European countries. I highly doubt they will be coming here, we don't get the "good"
    cars.