My 1983 Porsche 944 LS Build

Discussion in 'Car Journals/Projects' started by 944_GASM, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Minglor

Minglor jamjamjamjamjamjamjamjam!

Yes.
    98 LS1 block (which has weakest bolts and rod design) some stock 317s and a LSA supercharger off a ctsv/zr1. Should make 480/500 wheel at 7/8 psi and then promptly turn into a melted pile of aluminum when I start spining the hell out of the blower.

lorge1989 likes this.
  2. mahoneybags21

mahoneybags21 Well-Known Member

I have a 6.0 lsx for sale making about 400 hp if you're interested. Still in the vehicle come drive it

3. mahoneybags21

Would include standalone wiring and ecu as well

4. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Damn Mahoney you have car add

5. mahoneybags21

Building another motor for the truck, adding a supercharger and don't want to take apart the motor I just built, hence that one available. Changing engine management too, but keeping the C10!

6. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Ok I take it back, hell yeah!

7. Minglor

Me and Mahoony got a groupon for superchargers.

lorge1989 likes this.
  8. 944_GASM

944_GASM Well-Known Member

Awesome, now I know the mounting points for the LQ4 would be the same as any LSx but I'm worried about accessories. I'm assuming because it's a truck block, the accessories mount vertical with the massive intake that comes on them. Is it simple to mount accessories similar to the LS style (F body) with everything being more compact? That would really be my only concern. I am not fabricating anything for the motor, as the kit includes the mounts, adapters and etc. But, I would have to make sure the accessories fit except for the power steering assembly.

9. 944_GASM

Very interested. I'm free this weekend to check it out. Gen III or IV?

10. Minglor

Well.
    F-body/Corvette/Truck accessories all vary in pulley offset.
    The F-body/Corvette intakes won't work with truck water pumps.
    A good amount of options for brackets/pulleys.
    http://www.lsxconcepts.com/what-belt-offset-do-i-need/#.VmGfQ6ko7qA

944_GASM likes this.
  11. mahoneybags21

Gen III, and yeah ill be around this weekend. Its already in a swapped vehicle so all standalone wiring, ECU, motor would be for sale. meaning youd have a drop in and go motor and would save you ALOT of time.

[​IMG]

the motor is really clean, ill list some of the modification. i have a few thousand on this motor since that above picture

-243 heads from a cts-v not milled, BTR .660 dual springs. heads have about 20k
    -Ls7 lifters about 5k on them
    -TSP 228R cam, has about 5k as well
    -measured pushrod length for new heads and lifters, motor is very quiet
    -f body oil pan for clearance
    -rear main seal is new, along with front timing cover seal
    -oil pan seal is new
    -head gaskets new
    -intake gaskets new
    -ls6 valley pan (built in oil seperator)
    -new knock sensors under the valley pan (preventative measure)

the wiring harness is a DBW setup, its a modified stock harness. its set up to run E-fans, has all EGR removed and emissions, and just runs front o2 sensors. engine itself has around 120k on it, and as you can see in the above picture, is clean. Feel free to call me or shoot me a text with any more questions, (716) 908 3101.

12. 944_GASM

So it looks like Nick and I came to a understanding after a solid drive/burnout session in his C10 and I will be grabbing the motor from him to help fund his other build.

With that out of the way, I now have some extra cash to do some things I didn't plan. One of which was swapping my front bumper over to the 951 front bumper. Aesthetically 100x better. Not sure if many of you know but the early 944's had a bumper that only a mother could love. It had bumper stops that protruded out the front and was just really "square". So with this bumper and a front valence, I'm thinking it will give a more aggressive look.

I found a couple for sale but will have to drive out to NYC area (anyone making any trips anytime soon?!) I really hate when people refuse to ship items off ebay /rant.

This swap will require a few other 951 parts(headlight covers, and front area between headlights). My fenders won't line up exactly but I figure when Andy does the wide body and paint, he will be able to blend them nicely.

More to come...

13. 944_GASM

[​IMG]

Purchased the complete front end off this S2 to switch over to the more "eye appealing" front end. Unfortunately it's not as easy as just buying the front bumper... header panel, bumper support, light covers, and light encases were all needed.

Should have this at my place sometime next week!

As far as the motor goes, I have purchased an LS6 intake with LS1 fuel rail and injectors. I have removed the valve covers and will be powder coating them white to compliment the black/white scheme I am going with.

I have the AOR 951 transmission next to the NA transaxle and will be pulling the 5th gear out of the N/A - purchasing a new Guard LSD and then shipping the transmission off to Massachusetts for a complete rebuild. Not looking forward to the shipping on that...

Unit91MS likes this.
  14. 944_GASM

Anyone familiar with the hydroboost brake system and utilizing it on custom builds?

15. eurotrsh

eurotrsh Resident Wheel Consultant

My friend Grant has a hydro hand brake in his skid-racing e36, what did you need to know?

16. 944_GASM

Just how they ran it, really. I won't be able to fit the OEM brake booster so my options are hydroboost (preferably Ford w/ master cylinder) or manual brakes. Obviously, I would like to run hydroboost, but I am a manual rack so I am unsure if I will have an open port. I was thinking I could run the one line for the booster and the other to a oil cooler/filter and back to the reservoir which would allow for 2 return lines.

17. eurotrsh

eurotrsh Resident Wheel Consultant

Let me reach out, his car had the brake installed when he bought it.

18. 944_GASM

[​IMG]

Started to retro-fit the front end over to the Turbo years. Since my 944 is an early offset, my header panel (w/ the Porsche emblem) has 37 spot welds on it... I think I'm just going to hack the shit out of it with my grinder.

Will update once I have everything removed and all the turbo pieces put together. It was nice having the weather we did this weekend, so I was able to accomplish some things.

More to come.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  19. 944_GASM

Hey Guys,

I know everyone was worried since I haven't update recently, but I haven't given up yet! I recently moved into a new house in August, so priorities were made to make it "ready" for winter. I also had a slight territory battle with the Mud Daubers that were living in the garage, but I came out victorious.

Picked up an American Eagle wood stove to keep me cozy in the winter, and make it so that I don't have any excuses to not finish this - but here it goes:

- I was able to get the car completely gutted in the front end. Removed strut assembly's, sway bars, control arms, spindles, tie rods, manual steering unit, etc.
    - The engine was pretty much gutted at my old place, just need to remove motor mount bolts and pull out, left A/C guts maintained as I'd like to keep that for the car. Wiring harness was removed but needs to be pulled through the firewall.
    - I moved all my spare/old parts into the basement to sort and sell.
    - Gutted the interior/dash (picture) in order to re-tape and find any issues with it - Also thinking of attempting or sourcing the dash refurbish from the cracks. But will most likely update interior lights to LED for efficiency and so I can actually effing see.
    - Removed the rear transaxle (non LSD) to pull it's long 5th gear, I have the beefier AOR Transaxle, but I need to send that to be rebuilt but holding off since it's a 2k bill along with a new 1k LSD that I don't have yet... Hoping to scrap my parts to help pay that.

Moving forward - I would like to pull my current Sach Strut inserts out and clean up the assembly. I purchased Koni Yellow Enamel Paint to paint those and assembly my Koni Yellows into the Struts. I will then be able to add my 400# springs, coil over kit, and camber plates. I am obviousy buying all new hardware for these.

I did place my order for 2 new control arms that should be in this week, along with a couple moog ball joints. These will be accompanied my Power Flex "Black" bushings for the front. I did try to put my new sway bar together but was missing a bearing sleeve, but that should be here today.

Since I will be running wider tires and a bit heavier motor, I wanted to trade my Manual steering for a power unit. I found someone interested to trade, so he will be getting his ready withing the next few weeks.

I am shooting to have the front end done this month, only thing I'm waiting for will be the rotors that I am buying from Stop Tech (slotted) and then getting my spindles cleaned up.

[​IMG]
    Left is Old, Right is New.^
    [​IMG]
    Front old vs. new, minus hardware.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Only saving the strut assembly's.

As usual, more to come!