My next build thread "the mutt" (63 Corvair Spyder)

Discussion in 'All Non-Euro Cars' started by vw to bimmer, Apr 27, 2017.

1. vw to bimmer

vw to bimmer The Krazy Professor

VW's American air cooled cousin.

I am at this stage calling the car "the mutt"
    It has enough parts from 4 cars in the 63-64 range that the name is appropriate.

When I brought it home:

[​IMG]

63 Spyder

Sat in driveway PO for 34 years....

Put on rotisserie 10 years ago and life got in the way....

Well here it is as of yesterday. Floors repaired, Trunk repaired, need to finish battery box and prime engine bay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, for you younger guys, Corvair is a Chevy. :D

Also, Ralph Nader blew thing way out of proportion in his book "unsafe at any speed".

First off the Corvair was the only car tested by the National Transportation Admin.
    It was found to be just as safe as its contemporary competitors.

It was actually one of the most cutting edge cars that Chevy created in the US market.

Independent suspension, One of the first Turbo cars, unibody construction (unheard of in the early 60's in American cars), first to figure out how to cool a 6 cylinder Air cooled motor, Handled like a Porsche (which most american were not use to driving and it over steered instead of under steered if pressed too hard).

If you want to read more about the history here : https://www.corvair.org/index.php/history-and-preservation/unsafe-at-any-speed

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. corolon

corolon Member

I think this car will look awesome when it's gonna be restored. I hope you won't hang us out to dry and will post more updates with pictures and all that. Cheers, and good luck!

3. dyllicious

dyllicious Waffle House Bacon

always thought corvairs were cool. what is the build plan? just a refresh or are you going to restomod it? I love seeing the cars you work on transform pretty excited for this.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  4. vw to bimmer

Kind of a resto mod. Putting the 64 suspension in it (upgrade), koni shocks etc. Doing a higher output engine hopefully can get near 200 hp with meth injection.
    I have three 4 speed transmissions/diffs to work with, still debating using the posi one. There have been suggestions that non posi is better due to strength and also since the car naturally wants to oversteer, having a posi that you might spin both wheels would increase the effect.

I have two turbo choices not sure which I am going to choose and it is going to be a blow through setup instead of the draw through setup that was stock. Big improvement in power gains. I also might just go EFI, not sure yet.

5. Dos Jotas

Dos Jotas It used to say Admin here

About time! I'm glad to see this is making progress!

6. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Do EFI. The way youre projects go, I am very interested in the end result!

7. vw to bimmer

Picked up another organ donor..... Why would anyone put a brand new gas thank in this????

[​IMG]

Dos Jotas likes this.
  8. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

There was a pretty clean maroon corvair at Carlisle this past weekend. I should have snagged a pic!

9. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

You've made a lot of progress on the floors since I last saw.
    I can't wait to see the progress on this.

10. vw to bimmer

Well sure enough the tank was never used, still can't believe it was put in this heap!

[​IMG]

It was put in 1989, 28 years ago but never fueled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I am going to strip what looks like primer off of it and paint silver.

Inner shot:

[​IMG]

11. vw to bimmer

Got the tank ready to go, stripped the primer off the outside and painted more to my liking.

[​IMG]

rabbit20v likes this.
  12. vw to bimmer

Got a bit more done, Sanded down the engine bay, cut out hole for transmission dipstick, 2 cotes of primer, one silver one black epoxy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to take it off the rotisserie to get the front and rear stripped and prime the whole car with epoxy....

rabbit20v and Dos Jotas like this.
  13. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Looking forward to seeing it off the rotisserie.

14. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Did you build the rotisserie?

15. vw to bimmer

Yes, over 10 years ago! Works well can spin the car with one hand.

16. vw to bimmer

Here it is!

It helps to be on vacation and have time to work on it.

Made a wooden dolly to move the body around on, now that it is off the lift.

Got the front sanded down. :D

[​IMG]

rabbit20v likes this.
  17. vw to bimmer

Pulled this out of the box NOS 64 Grill, too bad its not a NOS 63.....

[​IMG]

I wanted to check fitment of sheetmetal. Had to try to straighten passenger lower rear where it was knocked in.

Still have a bit more straightening work to do, doesn't look quite right yet, but the grill fits well....

[​IMG]

18. vw to bimmer

Well it might not look like much of a difference but several hours of beating on metal gave me this:

[​IMG]

With a bit of filler I think it will work fine. Can you see the difference?

19. vw to bimmer

I had 3 hoods to choose from and all had issues. The one I chose was a 64
    hood that had its issues on the inside and I can hide most of them.
    This was the biggest PITA of any other part of the project so far.
    I have spent 2 full days between stripping and sanding to get this down to bare metal.
    I wanted to do this to make sure there was no hidden rust underneath. I did find a little bit of surface rust, no idea if it would have worked its way out.

Also, had to transfer the holes from the original hood to the 64 for the turbo emblem.

[​IMG]