My next build thread "the mutt" (63 Corvair Spyder)

Discussion in 'All Non-Euro Cars' started by vw to bimmer, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Dos Jotas

Dos Jotas It used to say Admin here

It looks really good so far Tom! I’m really curious to see what you wind up doing engine management wise.

2. vw to bimmer

vw to bimmer The Krazy Professor

I think I am going to use a megajolt to run the spark/timing. And I am going to try blow through carbs with the turbo. (already have the carbs that have been modified). Not sure which turbo I am going to use. I have a rebuilt stock / hybrid (early model hot side, late model compressor), and also have a newer turbonetics turbo that is sized for the engine.

Dos Jotas and rabbit20v like this.
  3. vw to bimmer

All right for you young guys, some cars back in the day had gas heaters (had a chamber that atomized the fuel and a spark plug that ignited it to product instant heat).
    The corvair in 60 only came with this style heater and was an option thru 63. 61 on cars had the heated air from the engine heaters. This car obviously is good weather only, however, I might need to use the defroster on a cooler damp evening and nothing would be more convenient than to it the switch and in 20 seconds have a clear windshield instead of waiting for the engine to heat up enough to get it through the other system. So enough with the background:

Got the exhaust for the heater in along with the fuel line. Needed to get this done before installing the gas tank.

The heater that I had did not have the factory exhaust fitting, I had to fab up one and I put on a vband fitting to get a good seal.

I had to open the hole in the trunk a bit larger to get the v band in and made a custom pipe surround that is covered in a high temp "spark plug sock" to seal the underside from inside the trunk.

The entire exhaust is 304 stainless so hopefully I will not have to worry about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rabbit20v likes this.
  4. vw to bimmer

Well got a lot done today, even special because the suspension went in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to do this!

[​IMG]

Dos Jotas and rabbit20v like this.
  5. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Looking good. That gas heater seems sketchy. lol

RoachinRay likes this.
  6. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

If the fumes from the heat exchanges off the engine don't kill you, the blow torch heater will.

7. vw to bimmer

Don't forget about the car rolling over also! :p

rabbit20v likes this.
  8. vw to bimmer

Tore apart the steering box, all the grease was like jello.

[​IMG]

Replaced all bearings and bushings and races.

[​IMG]

All adjusted and ready to install.

[​IMG]

rabbit20v likes this.
  9. vw to bimmer

Installed new rear Bearings .

[​IMG]

All installed:

[​IMG]

Also front steering components and box installed:

[​IMG]