Need Help

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Related' started by The Alchemist, Aug 2, 2017.

1. The Alchemist

The Alchemist Member

So I have a abs stability/ESC fault in my mk6 GTI. I was told that the abs sensor needs to be reset with a Vag-Com. This is where I need some help. About 6 months ago my lab top died and I never got it fixed. Does anyone wanna make $20 and come over with there lab top and vag-com and reset my sensor?

2. BlackGTI

BlackGTI Well-Known Member

3. The Alchemist

The Alchemist Member

I live in Williamsville, right off Main Street by La Nova Pizza

4. BlackGTI

BlackGTI Well-Known Member

Are you home now? I can swing by in a half hour or so.

5. The Alchemist

The Alchemist Member

Thanks bud. But I'm at work till about 6 today. Any chance you can come later today or tomorrow?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  6. The Alchemist

The Alchemist Member

Any one available tonight after 5?

7. skwerl43

skwerl43 Member

Pretty sure abs doesn't need to be reset with vagcom. And does a self test every time you start car. If it sees problem been fixed it will turn light out itself. The only time I've ever had to use vag-com to reset abs/esc is when I replaced the abs/esc computer. So unless you have done that if the light is still on then you still have a problem.

8. The Alchemist

The Alchemist Member

I was just going on what the dealership told me. He said reset the light with vag-com or it might be the steering sensor that needs to be reset.

9. skwerl43

skwerl43 Member

If it's the steering angle sensor it has to be adapted. Usually in this area you get abs/esc lights for bad wheel speed sensors. If you haven't changed the steering angle sensor you shouldn't have to reset it though unless you got an alignment

10. The Alchemist

The Alchemist Member

Well I'm out of ideas. There are no codes stored according to the OBD2 reader. And my dash is lite up like Christmas and no one knows why and now I'm being told that a vag-com can't read/fix the code. Anyone have any other ideas???

11. skwerl43

skwerl43 Member

Need something a little better than a generic obd2 reader. Those usually don't work on abs issues. Vag shouldn't have a problem scanning those. Actually any higher end scan tool should be able to scan it. When you first start the car is the lights on right away or does it come on after you start moving? Its a pain to try to type it all out but the abs does a self test every time you start your car. Some wheel speed sensor issues don't show up till you are moving so when it does it's self test it doesn't see anything wrong. When you move it sees the issue and on goes the light. When you take it somewhere to check the light you naturally shut off your car and lose whatever code was there. You put key in to power up abs does self test and sees nothing so no code or light. Again you aren't going to get a code with a cheapy generic code reader unless it says it does abs on it. If this is still a problem maybe we can work something out and I can take a look at it.

12. The Alchemist

The Alchemist Member

Thanks man. Appreciate the help. When I turn the car on the steering traction control light abs light are all on. And the tire pressure lite blinks and than stays on. And of course it says abs stabilization fault/ESC on the mdi.
    Should I have attempt to have the codes read while the car is running?

13. skwerl43

skwerl43 Member

Yeh if you can. Like I said it's gotta be able to read abs codes to really see what's going on. Check engine light on? Kinda funny with all you say is lit up that you aren't getting codes. There seems to be something more going on here or someone is missing something. Wouldn't be the first time though. Where you located??

14. The Alchemist

The Alchemist Member

Yeah a German car with electrical issues. Who knew ;) I live in Williamsville off Main Street by la nova pizza

15. skwerl43

skwerl43 Member

I live out by kissing bridge but that's not a problem. My wife works over there on Riest St. If you can't get a handle on it let me know and maybe we can work something out. Been a auto tech for a long long time.

16. The Alchemist

The Alchemist Member

That's awesome man. Thanks so much! I live on north union, right off reist. But I would be more than happy to come out to you if you want.

17. skwerl43

skwerl43 Member

You mentioned off on Fri? Let me know when a good time for you and I'll come out your way. Gotta go out that way anyway

18. The Alchemist

The Alchemist Member

Any time. I'm pretty much free all day. I have to pick up my kid from camp at 4 but that's all. So just me know and I'll be ready

19. skwerl43

skwerl43 Member

James,
    Left a msg on other thread. Don't know if you got it. What time is good for you? Also need an address. Btw my name is Tom. Thanks