passat CAI???

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Related' started by xHEARTisLIFEx, Mar 20, 2007.

1. xHEARTisLIFEx

xHEARTisLIFEx Bringin the pain since 87

2001.5 passat 1.8t Cold air intake

anyone know where i can find one....

sorry for the n00b post:footinmou

2. eurotrsh

eurotrsh Resident Wheel Consultant

prepare for the rash of responses.
    intakes dont do anything on 1.8ts

3. Smaefer

Smaefer HEATED 24/7

Only when the motor sits longitudinal and the intake is right next to the turbo. I think he's all good because his car is FWD making it transverse.

4. marm0lade

marm0lade Well-Known Member

They are plentiful

Carbonio:
    APR - High Performance Development for Audi Vehicles

EIP:
    EIP Tuning VW Cold Air Intakes: Mk5 FSI Golf, Jetta, GTI, GLI, R32

EVOMS:
    http://www.evoms.com/marketplace/Vi...}&Curr={950294A2-7807-4275-82E4-49DC0AFDA002}

There are more but those are the best known. I'm not sure that you want to go with a CAI tho as they can be prone to hyrolock, a good short ram intake should do the trick.

Edit: not sure if EIP makes one for passat, you can check it out tho. Any b5.5 A4 intake should work too.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  5. Minglor

Minglor jamjamjamjamjamjamjamjam!

yeah isn't it fun
    I still want to hear fun turbo noises

6. Mike.Mike.

Mike.Mike. DIRTY DEEDZ

brandon..you was the pshhh..tomorrow u will see :] get ur ass hurrr haha

7. Smaefer

Smaefer HEATED 24/7

I actually have the Carbonio on my car. It's pretty much a carbon fiber air box and you can definitely hear the turbo.
    IMHO it's the only one on the market that works for are cars. But it's not cheep..

8. Tre

Tre Well-Known Member

9. eurotrsh

eurotrsh Resident Wheel Consultant

no shit you can hear that fucking monster under the hood.

10. xHEARTisLIFEx

so the carbonio is the one to go with ?

11. t-rent

t-rent popurhood Staff Member

The 1.8t passat's are longitudinal.

12. Smaefer

Smaefer HEATED 24/7

Actually you are right. Now that I think about it Nikki's motor is longitudinal just like my Audi. So that's the only 1.8t VW has with a longitudinal motor. So I take it the turbo and manifold is in the same spot as the A4? If that's the case I would not waste the money on a CAI.

Thanks for catching that...

13. t-rent

t-rent popurhood Staff Member

The turbo and manifold is just like on your A4. Just a little bit smaller in size.

14. Tre

Tre Well-Known Member

oh totally!!! $379 for something that adds 0 hp!!! you'd be crazy not to!!! which is why i'm adding a second opening to my stock air box - i'm crazy and don't read the forums at the above link. sigh.

15. xHEARTisLIFEx

props for the sarcasm :261:, sorry some of us aren't as educated in all of these areas, But thanks to everyone else who was actually trying to help!

16. Tre

Tre Well-Known Member

i don't expect you to stay uneducated. that's why I implore you to read the threads at the following link. they offer a wealth of information on cold air intake modifications to the Passat b5 and b5.5.

17. Tre

Tre Well-Known Member

ps i love you :kiss: don't waste your money on crap. if you aren't already, get chipped - Bracketracer has 'em.

18. Smaefer

Smaefer HEATED 24/7

Actually with the Carbonio you will see a little bit of a gain. There are dyno #'s on the Audi forums. But thats the only intake that does not rob power. Not really sure if it's worth the money. But I got mine at WF for a good price and did it mainly for the bling factor on top of my turbo needing more airflow.

Swiss cheesing your Air Box is going to do absolutely nothing. All your going to do is draw warm air in from the engine compartment. And maybe hear the turbo just a bit.

19. marm0lade

marm0lade Well-Known Member

Brandon incase you haven't noticed everyone is trying to say a CAI is not really necessary, especially for your first mod. The best place to start with a 1.8t is a chip. Save up a little longer and it will definately be worth it.

20. Tre

Tre Well-Known Member

Coam

i've been considering the "Colorado" air box mod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but i'm not happy about where the pipes are routed. (vapor lock) i haven't really given routing the lines to the grill a serious look but i think it can be done at the expense of the factory snorkel. but that is definately not a snky project in the works.

quicker revs for a lot less $$$

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007