Pick up something not as old (another 90..)

Discussion in 'Audi and BMW Related' started by lorge1989, May 6, 2016.

1. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Been working at a few things to get the 90 ready for winter. I struggled with ride and ride height issues last year... So I decided to put some stiff sport springs and Bilsteins in the back with coilovers up front. This way I would just match the rear height with the front and be done with it. Or so I thought...

Started with this:

[​IMG]IMG_20160817_181157586 by George, on Flickr

Cut up and modified my stock uprights.

[​IMG]IMG_20160817_193638399 by George, on Flickr

Haven't welded on the rings that the sleeves will sit on yet.

All complete (first rev):

[​IMG]IMG_20171118_160846685 by George, on Flickr

The dust boots really didn't fit between the 2.5" spring... but i put em in there anyway just for the time being.

I put the car on the ground and the back was sitting at just over 24" fender to ground. Thats pretty low for a 90, not so much for all you stance fags, but these cars take a lot to get that low in the front (which I'm finding out now).

Like I said before, I was hoping to match the front ride height witht the back..... So I spun the coils all the way down and..... sitting at 25.25" fender to ground in the front. Hmm that wont work. Without test driving, I ordered a 6" spring, had a 7" originally. Threw everything back together, this time with a helper spring and no dust boot.

[​IMG]IMG_20171125_133537195 by George, on Flickr

Spun them nearly all the way down and sitting at just under 25", but something was wrong. After some help from the interwebz and me playing with the height, I realized I was riding on the internal bump stops of the struts at that height. I had no suspension travel and no dampening at all. Had to spin the coilovers up, I went up an inch and a half, to get any travel/dampening.

Now I'm back to square one out back. In the front, I think I will put the 7" springs back in and adjust the coilovers so that I have plenty of travel, no matter the height. Then I'm going to swap in some stock B5 or sport B5 springs in the back hopefully raising the car up to a level height. What a pain.