Picked up a 2001 allroad to add to the pack.

Discussion in 'Audi and BMW Related' started by vw to bimmer, Jun 14, 2014.

1. vw to bimmer

vw to bimmer The Krazy Professor

Picked it up last week. Had a coolant leak, talked the guy down to where I felt comfortable if it wasn't and easy fix.

It is similar to Jason's but mine is a Tiptronic :08:. That may change in the future, but right now it will be easier for me to teach my daughter to drive on than my big diesel truck that is a standard.

I have already torn into it. I am powercoating the stock rims satin black with stainless accent bolts. All new braking system, various little things like rear wiper motor and arm.

No plans to put KO4's in it yet.

The previous owner put in arnott replacment suspension and tires are almost new.

Here is what I am starting with:

Here is the coolant leak, secondary coolant pump under the intake manifold, fixed.

2. bloodtypevr6

bloodtypevr6 BLACK DUDE

I did this fix on my s4 last year and was overwhelmed at how much stuff I had to remove to get to the auxiliary pump.
  3. vw to bimmer

Well this is why I decided to do the allroad, this is childs play at this point. If a turbo goes, then I have to pull the motor. I am a psycho!! or as JJ said a masochist.
  4. Bracketracer

Bracketracer DITB Sponsor

Nice! I approve of this pickup. Green/green interior or black/grey?
  5. squid

squid No Bozo's

Doing the cam seals/valve cover gaskets/tensioner seals while it's that far apart?
  6. vw to bimmer

Green/green-drk green interior
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  7. vw to bimmer

Probably, still waiting on the bentley before I go further. Not in a rush to put it on the road yet. Want to take care of all the bits and pieces and not have to mess with it during the bad weather.
  8. squid

squid No Bozo's

Good idea. Better to tackle it without being under the gun or in bad weather. A big part of the job is taking it apart, and you've got that pretty much covered. It's not fun being on a deadline. I just did one the other day where the customer had to have it for a trip, so it had to get done. Late nights trying to rush isn't cool.
  9. deagle

deagle getting my learn on at UB

i saw this on CL also ..... from getzville if i'm not mistaken ?

i was considering it also, but i had to wait until insurance settlement played out due to an accident.
  10. Dos Jotas

Dos Jotas It used to say Admin here

11. RocketSLC

RocketSLC Moderator

Nice car. yeah, get the valve cover gaskets done. Just did mine. I used gasket sealer on em this time as they leaked with out it last time.
    How is the Bimmer doing?
  12. vw to bimmer

The BMW is doing great, just enjoying driving it with 21psi :D . It is where I want it, no more to really do to it till I blow this motor up and have to put the one on the engine stand in it.
  13. vw to bimmer

A little update:

Have been doing lots of stuff to it, alot of the stuff will never be seen, however, that is what I do! :hump:

I have treated all the surface rust that was on the rear suspension, was tempted to take it all out and sand blast and power coat, however, I reeled my self in on that one since this is a winter car.

There were some weaping on the rear diff and the tail of the transmission. Took out the rear diff, replaced the seals and cleaned up.

After replacing the output seal on the transmission I changed the fluid in the center diff, since that is the fluid that was leaking from that spot.

Actually I am repacing all the fluids in the diffs and the transmission.

The rear brakes were in not the best of shape, the driver side caliper was almost frozen the the adjuster/parking brake was shot. I picked up some new calipers to replace the ones on the car, for a good price, however, after painting them I realized the connections for the hydraulic line was not positioned correctly. So needless to say I could not return them :suspect:.... So I took the guts of the new ones and put them in the shells of the old ones.

With new ATE rotors, ss brakelines, etc.

As you can probably see undercarrage is cleaned up dust shields powercoated, more to come........
  14. RocketSLC

RocketSLC Moderator

Great work. Take a look at Carwell undercoatings. You might be interested in that stuff.
  15. vw to bimmer

I have had good luck with RustStop at what was Schmidts collision, now Auto collision in my area. Sprayed oil that does a pretty good job on my vehicles. I have not had any experience with Carwell, do you know what they approximately charge to do a vehicle?
  16. KurtCav

KurtCav Posting- God

Wow that looks great. How did the ECS brake lines fit? I had a pair for my old GTI but never was able to get them on before it was totaled. Would still like to get a set for my current car when the brakes are due.
  17. vw to bimmer

The rear ones fit perfectly. Haven't got the fronts done yet.
  18. RocketSLC

RocketSLC Moderator

Roughly $100.
  19. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Can't say I'd ever go through the trouble to powder coat dust sheilds on a winter car, but more power to ya! Looks great.
  20. vw to bimmer

I'll have to look them up in the fall, the price seems better than the rust stop.