Project R

Discussion in 'Car Journals/Projects' started by BMPGTI08, Feb 9, 2012.

1. BMPGTI08

BMPGTI08 Well-Known Member

Here you'll be able to follow my additions to my new Golf R.

I ordered the car about 7 months ago as soon as I found out vw was accepting official orders from dealers. I ordered rising blue fully loaded before pricing was even announced. Deposit placed and confirmation/tracking number in hand the wait was on. My dealer kept me well informed and I was expecting the car around jan 23rd.

Fast forward to jan 10th. The car arrived early. I got a call as soon as the truck pulled in. As I asked they didn't touch the car until I got there. It still fully wrapped when I arrived.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They let me fire it up and pull it into the detail bay where we unwrapped it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car then sat until I brought it home on the 13th. 17 miles on the clock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course it was a snowstorm the day I drove it home but the awd made it a much less nerve racking drive.

[​IMG]

It being my first awd car I had to experience the ways of sideways driving through snow covered parking lots.
    [​IMG]

That was fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. BMPGTI08

Installed the led tails today and she's looking proper. This is how the car should have come originally.

Parts came packed super well. Plastic over the lenses, wrapped in foam, wrapped in bubble wrap, boxed, then placed in a larger box

[​IMG]

One side complete. Minimal swearing, 1 beer consumed.

[​IMG]

Side 2 complete. Moderate swearing, dropping temps, 1 bloody knuckle, 1 beer consumed.

[​IMG]

Was it worth it? Yuuuuuuuuup. Totally transforms the car. Even more impressive in person. Coding complete and admiring my work. 1 beer consumed.

[​IMG]

Couple shots at night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  3. Jeller

Jeller Posting- God

Congrats on the new car. Looks very nice and I like the tails.

4. 18t papa

18t papa I'M OLD PAT!

Totally awesome! But please tell me you didn't let them drill the bumper to put the plate on... PLEASE!

5. KurtCav

KurtCav Posting- God

That's awesome they let you take the wrapping off.

Congrats on the new ride!

6. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Congrats on the pickup! Truly an awesome machine!

7. Minglor

Minglor jamjamjamjamjamjamjamjam!

This thing is fucking fantastic looking.

8. KurtCav

KurtCav Posting- God

I really love the rear profile of the thing. Reminds me of the updated Scirocco.

9. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

I was just going to say that I think those wheels were originally Scirocco wheels in Europe. Correct me if I'm wrong (and sell them to me if they bore you at any point).

10. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

Dang, that is one mighty fine looking car!

I wasn't into it for some reason when I first saw promo shots from Vw, but it looks way awesome in real

11. BMPGTI08

Actually I my salesman texted me before they did the deed even tho I had already told him to drill it.
    My car is my 2nd office, I drive a ton. Also with my job I deal with local and state police quite a bit on the road so I just follow the rules. I think the tow bolt "solutions" look terrible for the most part. Im sure people have gone years without a front plate but for me I just don't want problems.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  12. BMPGTI08

Originally in pics I wasnt a huge fan of the wheels. Now though in person I really like them. I think they were offered as the option wheel on the scirocco

13. BMPGTI08

I was real on the fence over the color. CW was right there at the top. Once the car got here I was so happy I went with RB. Your right there is something about the car that just doesn't translate well through photos. If u wanna see a great shot of one look up the R that was on display at the Montreal auto show. That car sold me on RB

14. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

GGGGreat looking car and you got the perfect color. White is the flavor of the year....

15. Xander

Xander McLovin

Nice looking car! I love the tails too, I feel like those and moar low are a must.

How does it sound, now that it's not a VR? Either way, nice ride.

x...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  16. BMPGTI08

It cant hold a candle to an angry VR but it sounds way more aggressive than a std 2.0T. Especially under WOT when the exhaust flapper opens. Milltek equiped R's sound amazing but that exhaust is big dollars (1300) for just the cat back i think.

I do a good amount of off road driving (literally) with my car so moar low probably isnt in my future. Def never going to have coil overs on it. I might consider a euro spring swap but i think in the US it only sits 1mm or so higher than overseas. Probably not worth the trouble. Besides this thing handles so well i wouldnt want to mess with a good thing.

17. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

Can you do a flapper mod on these like mk4 R's? Mine is ghetto modded where the vac line is just pulled off and capped, but it works :)

18. drtye36

drtye36 Active Member

Congrats on the new ride. Looks great

19. RoachinRay

RoachinRay Bags&Wheels BRUH

sick car!! I want a ridee

20. Chad Oner

Chad Oner 2 Door 2 the Floor

Awesome!!! You gonna get the tune?