Sean's .:R32 Thread

Discussion in 'Car Journals/Projects' started by seanhickey, Apr 9, 2016.

1. t-rent

t-rent popurhood Staff Member

What's the reasoning?

2. seanhickey

seanhickey Well-Known Member

I like air, I'll always like it, but I feel like air and small tires aren't practical for a daily driver. Plus I feel like I'm not enjoying the R for what it is. If I went coilovers, I'd also sell the wheels and keep the stocks, maybe go with a bigger tire and just ride on it hard and actually drive it. I find myself driving it slow and babying it, almost the same way I drove my jetta.

Like I said too though, I'm constantly changing my mind it seems like so I don't know, maybe I will keep it bagged. It's all up in the air.

And yes, pun intended.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

3. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

100% honest question.

Most promoters of bag setups claim they are just as good as a good set of coilovers when you want them to be/set them up to be. Wouldn't it be possible to get some good tires, still low profile, but a good summer performance tire and air it up to a driveable height. A height that you wounldnt be afraid to throw it hard into a corner and rub?

I understand there are different types of bags and setups but it sounds to me like you didn't half ass this setup, so what would be involved to make it a dual purpose machine?

You could still hard park and give 1.8tpapa something to jerk off to at the DITB show and at the same time drive circles around his Supra!

Unit91MS likes this.
  4. seanhickey

Air definitely has the potential to be as good as coilovers. I agree with that statement 100%. You can get various types of handling based on how low/high you ride. If you ride in the middle you get more of a stock feel, higher is more stiff and lower is more bouncy like coils.

I think where I went wrong was by going with airlift slams up front rather than performance series struts. The slams don't have sway bar end link brackets and the dorbitz add ons work but not well. Plus it totally slipped my mind that the VR is way heavier than any MKV GTI / Rabbit so they don't air up high at all. I can't put the rear end of the car on jack stands without removing the front bumper. I ride at 65PSI in the front for a low daily ride height, when I had my jetta, 38psi up front was my low daily height.

5. eurotrsh

eurotrsh Resident Wheel Consultant

I am 100% confident that if you switched to the performance fronts and even the rear shocks, you would change your mind. Kait's car rips with her OEM 235/40s.

Having those struts that are valved differently, sways, and a square wheel setup with make the world of difference.

If Kait's car sells they may be up for grabs too?

seanhickey likes this.
  6. JKaczor

JKaczor Well-Known Member

I thought that was pretty cool. Good job reppin DITB a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. checko

checko Well-Known Member

#bagsnwheels

JKaczor and A4 Deja vu like this.
  8. seanhickey

9. JKaczor

That's too bad..

So what's the plan now?

10. checko

checko Well-Known Member

Prolly bags n wheels for his b8 a4,,,,duh

11. JKaczor

Oh sorry....duh, what was I thinking?

12. RoachinRay

RoachinRay Bags&Wheels BRUH

Like a week after you bought this, a stick shift one popped up on craigslist with right around same price and miles

13. JKaczor

I didn't think ever they made mkv R32's in a stick shift?!?!?!

14. RoachinRay

RoachinRay Bags&Wheels BRUH

they dont, talking about b8 a4's. he wanted a 6 speed manual but they are hard to find. after he bought his a4, a 6 speed manual popped up

15. JKaczor

Oh. That makes more sense lol

16. seanhickey

Yes, I picked up a B8 A4. While my R was down at waterfest (fuel pump) Zach Eye carted me around in his B8 S4. To say I fell in love was an understatement. Unfortunately since I couldn't ball that hard, I started looking at A4s. I hadn't really considered Audi's before that, I really wanted an e92 335i but reality was starting to set in and I didn't need wastegate issues in my life. Plus if I got a 2.0t, it could at least be tuned.

Since Audi decided to suck for 90% of the B8 platform with oil consumption issues, my search was EXTREMELY limited. It was 2012, under 60k, under $20k, 6-speed. For about 3 weeks (even when I had the R still) it would turn up like 4 results country wide and they were all base models. I figured I would wait it out but then after selling the R and having to ride my bike to Pearl Street for work from Tonawanda for two days, I said fuck this and deleted manual from my search. It wasn't worth not having a car... I found one with all the configurations that I wanted at a basil dealership and pulled the trigger.

To be honest, I'm not disappointed in going with an automatic. Yeah it's not as fun as a manual, but I actually enjoy it... It's comfortable as hell and the car drives like butter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk