So I'm sort of in a pickle....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by eurotrsh, Oct 14, 2008.

1. eurotrsh

eurotrsh Resident Wheel Consultant

about what to do with my car. (2003 Audi A4, for those who dont know)
    My gut says sell it.
    Im approaching the 90k mile mark, and cant decide whether to sell while i can still without losing my ass on the car, or to bite the bullet and just keep it.

reason #2 to sell, Im really not looking forward to the realm of 100k + maintenence since warranty goes bye bye in about 2 weeks.

The shitty part is, i REALLY like this car. and enjoy all of its features/fancies.

Any insightful information/suggestions would be helpful.

2. KurtCav

KurtCav Posting- God

if you did get out of it, what would you be looking to get in to? would you be saving any money?

I've considered selling my car now that I'm only driving about 75mi a week but its worth much more to me than I could get for it.

for you, however, the awd would be a better selling point before the snowy season instead of after.

3. a4tis

a4tis Bye turbo

FWIW, I regret that I sold that car. Obviously my situation back then was different, and we were thinking we were moving to Chicago where I wouldn't need a car. But if I knew I was staying here in Buffalo, I would have kept that car. The A6 was a great cruiser and I loooove my S4 but its a never ending money pit. I didn't spend very much in ownership cost the whole time I had that car. I think the upside is greater than the downside. Amulet Red is one of my favorite colors (next to Nogaro Blue). The B6 shape is still really attractive. The piano black interior is gorgeous. I dont' get nearly as many compliments on my S4 or even my A6 as I did in that car.

I don't think you should fear the 100K mark. Yes, you have to do a full TB service, but I have no doubt that this car would take you another 100K miles. Will it break? Sure, it's an Audi. But it's far less problematic than say, a B5 S4. Assuming you sell this and pick up another VW/Audi, it won't be any more problematic right? Keep it - I know I should have!

Some photos to help persuade you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. squid

squid No Bozo's

So sell it and take a huge hit in the wallet trying to replace it. Or keep it and take the hit in the wallet fixing what needs to be done at the appropriate time.

Car maintenance if kept up with keeps the overall cost down from unexpected failures.

If you like it, keep it.

One hundred thousand miles on an Audi ain't the end of the world. I bought the A6 with 102k on it and I'm very happy. it had a lot of the 100k service done already. It still needs some other work done, but I'm ok with that.

I'd keep it.

5. a4tis

a4tis Bye turbo

I'm glad you're still loving the A6 Mark!

6. squid

squid No Bozo's

Oh and I'll add that the A6 I have was Leng's A6.

7. DBR007

DBR007 Posting- God

Nice looking house. T-up

8. eurotrsh

its done.
    along with fuel pump and filter.
    and some new wheel bearings.

i do get myself a whole lot of compliments on it.
    and boy was that $150 for warranty transfer totally worth it.

9. Matt Danger

Matt Danger Fullonrapist.

Sounds like it's been good to you. Keep it until you find something you want more.

10. Minglor

Minglor jamjamjamjamjamjamjamjam!

homo.

TB is done.

You fixed what wheel bearings that broke.

What you afraid of?
    Some control arms and coil packs? pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Car isn't even chipped.

11. 93dx--hatch

93dx--hatch 01ci--coupe

I say you keep it, you already know the car runs good, doesn't burn oil and has been maintained

lets say you buy a used car with 50k, it could have more problems than your well maintained 100k car

12. Dubinbuffalo

Dubinbuffalo Banned

I don't understand why people freak out about having a car approaching 100K? If it has been well maintained it will keep going for a long time to come. It is not like the car is going to turn 100K miles and explode. My A4 has 122K on it and it is fine.

13. eurotrsh

im not worried so much about the 100k mark. its holding on to it for that and the resale value of the vehicle dropping.

ya dig?

edit: my b5 had about 170k when i sold it and ran like a top.

14. Xander

Xander McLovin

You already passed the dropping like a rock in Value (edit 'cause Smaefer never makes a typo) at the 60 to 90K interval. Your car will be worth about the same from 90 to 110 especially with the TB and realted stuff done.

X...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  15. eurotrsh

are you drunk already?

16. Smaefer

Smaefer HEATED 24/7

I've got not a clue what he's saying! WTF is a calue!?!?!?!

I'm going to have to say yes Dan, he's been with Mr. Coors at some point today.

As for the car. Is it paid off? Either way I would still hold on to it for another year or two.

17. Xander

Xander McLovin

KBB Values 2003 A4 quattro

60,000 miles $13,800
    90,000 miles $10,400
    120,000 miles $ 9,275

60 to 90k costs you $3,400
    90 to 120k will cost you another $ 1,125 or approximately a third of the Value you from 60 to 90K

I know Smaefer sucks at math, but you as well? :cjerk:

X...

18. Smaefer

Smaefer HEATED 24/7

Don't be calling me out in this. The statistics class I'm taking now you would only get your name right on the exam, if "you" where lucky.

KBB sux for a reference. According to them I should have asked around 8g for my coupe. Yeah, okay!!!!!!!!!

If Dan was to sell his car online he would fetch more then what he could get around here.:wavey:

Using the fancy word calue (value) is retarded, why not just say value? Someone must have thrown that word at you today and stumped you as well..

19. Xander

Xander McLovin

Well statistically speaking, you suck at depreciation calculations. :spank:

X...:biglaugh:

20. t3h JAM

t3h JAM Minglor's Lover

:aargh4: