Stupid Cat Hair... although it could be dog hair? and Salt Buildup

Discussion in 'Detailing Forum' started by chrisy sdhesive, Jun 1, 2011.

1. chrisy sdhesive

chrisy sdhesive Posting- God

So I've inherited the 1998 Passat wagon formally of one Mr. Dotterweich. Oh the perks of gaining family!

Not having had a cloth interior in 4+ years, I am frustrated with the black cloth seats. The Dotts family has a Springer Spaniel and I have the hairball cats which refuse cat carriers. How the heck do you get pet fur off the fuzzy seats? I already tried the Scotch Fur Fighter brush thing. Seems like an expensive lint roller which doesn't remove all the fur.

I also have salt buildup of approx. 1/4 inch under the driver seat. Already tried grandma's method of vinegar and water, various carpet cleaners, etc. The car's showing its age. What can I say?:irked:

Ideas?:1zhelp:

2. jaywonch

jaywonch Everything Wrong w/DitB

Isn't it strange how dogs can weave their hair into cloth interior?

3. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

It's been a long time since you've posted, good to have you back on here Chrissy! Did you try one of those lint rollers with the adhesive on it? Or maybe just use duct tape?

GL

Chris

4. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

I had good luck with duct tape and a shop vac when we got some cloth couches from my Aunt who had cats.

5. glsbss

glsbss WNY Haterade Provider

1/4 inch of salt! Yikes! You should try chipping away at it first and giving it a vaccum to get as much solid material out before adding moisture. After that, you may actually have to soak it with damp towels changing them out every so often - warm water works best, but not sopping wet... The salt will move along a gradient of high to low concentration with water, trade this along with more vaccuming and then you can try the vinegar. Patience is key here

For the pet hair, use something like a pumice stone along with the duct tape as the guys here mentioned - they actually sell these OTC for couches and stuff, but the name slips me on what they are actually branded as.

Mike

6. Airhead

Airhead Fred Sanford

I usually use a stiff bristle brush to loosen it and tape to pick it up. The worst is short spiky dog hair- it's like little needles stuck in the fabric.

7. DBR007

DBR007 Posting- God

Def the way to go for salt, also use a brush when damp.

I've had great luck using dish washing gloves, put them on and just
    run your hands along the seats, works better than any link roller
    or duck tape.

8. DJTB5A4

DJTB5A4 Well-Known Member

Salt- hot water an then scrub
    Pet hair- [​IMG]

Pretty easy stuff c'mon now

9. DJTB5A4

DJTB5A4 Well-Known Member

just pour very hot water all Over the area

10. chrisy sdhesive

chrisy sdhesive Posting- God

Ok some success with the dish gloves/duct tape combo. I truly think its the ground in dog hairs that are killing me.

The salt might just need a chisel and then some spray paint to make it look like the carpet :)

I'm trying the damp towels while i'm at work during the day. I'm thinking the greenhouse effect might assist with the salt evaporation transfer.

Thanks for the help fellas! If you see me rolling in my hooptie, give me a wave! You'll know its me when you see the zip tied bumper and both dented front fender and the 1 headlight.

11. MAAAAAD

MAAAAAD inactive account

get some awesome degreaser and a hammer, add the awesome in hot hot water if you can soak the salty floor in it then bang it with a hammer to break it up and then take a tuff scrub brush and scrub away, then shop vac it up. rinse and repeat until its gone. when its gone and its dry there will prolly still be some white left over , hit it with a dry brush and shop vac it up, rinse and repeat as well. As for the animal take a rubber glove like the doctores wear haha and rub it on the fabric it will lift a lot out. Been detailing cars in buffalo for awhile, if it got there it can come out.....somehow. good luck!

12. RHallock

RHallock TEAM HATE

give yourself a nice pat on the back.

I'm pretty sure they've figured it out in the past 2 FUCKING YEARS.

porch light is on, but NO ONE is home.

13. dyllicious

dyllicious Waffle House Bacon

Maybe he hit himself in the head with the hammer while he was getting the salt out of his carpets.

14. Dos Jotas

Dos Jotas It used to say Admin here

Wow, I wish we all could be as awesome at navigating the internet as you. Way to make a new member feel welcome!

15. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Bro, do you even hate?

16. RHallock

RHallock TEAM HATE

it's a Volkswagen forum in Buffalo.

17. RHallock

RHallock TEAM HATE

first copy of my book goes to you.

18. Dos Jotas

Dos Jotas It used to say Admin here

I don't get why this justifies being brash and demeaning to people.

19. TANGO DOWN

TANGO DOWN OhnO a V8

leather swap........... seriosly, or pleather like the MK6s got......... :ugh:

and for the record this thread was amazing reading it back wards.

20. dyllicious

dyllicious Waffle House Bacon

so you read the thread and comprehended that everyone was talking shit for reviving a dead thread but then decided to comment on it 3 months later anyway?