the AddieWgn

Discussion in 'Car Journals/Projects' started by rabbit20v, Feb 29, 2016.

1. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

After seeing a few of our friends make different versions of lowered Radio Flyer wagons, Claire and I wanted to do something similar for our niece Addie. Seeing that my brother-in-law is a gear head as well, we knew we wanted to base it off his 1950 Ford Coupe. What started off as talk of lowering the wagon and painting the tub to match his car turned into more and more ideas for even more customization.

[​IMG]Central Terminal Car SHow by Steve, on Flickr

We set out and acquired a Radio Flyer at a local estate sale. It was in decent enough shape and the price was right.

[​IMG]Untitled by Steve, on Flickr

2. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

We bought the wagon last spring, like always it was put on the back burner for most the summer as other projects came to be (*cough, Beetle, cough)
    So late into October I realized that I wasn't going to have much time left to paint the tub.

A quick sand job to get rid of any of the previously fixed rusty spot and prep for primer only took a few hours.

The next day we were ready for the first coat of primer.

Now I had intended on actually fixing and smoothing out all the little dents and ripples in the metal but I just didn't have the time to do that. And really it wasn't in that bad of shape.

Since the wagon did not come with nor was it prepped for the wooden sides, I set out to make my own out of 1/4" pieces of popular wood.

The guys at the local Hectors Hardware got to know me very well at this time as I was constantly down there digging through their hardware section.

unibagel likes this.
  3. vw to bimmer

vw to bimmer The Krazy Professor

4. Jeller

Jeller Posting- God

5. 93dx--hatch

93dx--hatch 01ci--coupe

Nice work, looks like you have a pretty solid old craftsman table saw, love those old saws.

6. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Yes, my Grandfather gave it to me. You can't buy anything like these anymore. I did update the fence though, the OG was a joke. I could never get a straight cut on it.

7. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

After the fence was assembled and fitted I knew I could move onto painting the tub.
    I would have liked to waited to the very end of the project to paint to lessen the chance of damaging the paint later on while welding the frame. But again time was against me.

I went to Autofinishers and had them make me two spray cans of the matching color.

It was hard to get an good photo of the paint but it was actually a pretty good match to the car.

8. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

This is awesome. At first I was sad you didn't keep the original paint, but now I get it!

9. t-rent

t-rent popurhood Staff Member

Can you make one that will fit me and then at shows you can pull me around

10. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Yes

11. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

I decided to stain the fence black rather than try to paint them.
    I figured it'd hold up better in the long run, especially with a couple coats of poly over the top.

We then moved onto something I've never tried before, upholstery. And I've got to say, it wasn't too bad.
    Granted what we were making was pretty simple in terms of shape.

First I cut a piece of plywood to the shape.
    Then used spray glue to attach a layer of high density foam.

Then using a Harbor Freight staple gun, we were able to flex and staple the material to the plywood.

It took a few try to figure out how to fold the material to not get any wrinkles on the corners.

Claire was very pleased with her handy work.

12. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Again we choose the grey vinyl to match closely match what the seats in the '50 are.

13. 18t papa

18t papa I'M OLD PAT!

This project is awesome. The car is also awesome. I like.

14. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

Here's were I started to get a little carried away with the project.
    What does every Radio Flyer need? Tail lights!!!!
    After countless hours searching amazon I finally found the style lights I wanted.

They are a motorcycle turn signal. Actually metal to my surprise. I thought it'd be chrome plastic.

I just needed to come up with a way to mount them and power them.

A good couple coats of red spray tint and the turn signals are now tail lights.

15. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

16. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

The wagon still needed a way to mount the lights and it also needed a bumper. Perfect, kill two birds with one stone.

Since my metal working skills are non existing, I opted to make one out of wood and paint it.

One issue I ran into was the even though the lenses were red when not lite, as soon as you turned them on they were a murky orangish color still.

This is were Nick (slodub) came through for me.
    He was able to make me a red LED replacement for the bulbs that came with the lights.

Much brighter and the red is nice and intense.
    It'll be very visible in the daylight.

To try and make the bumper "chrome" I gave the chrome spray paint a try.
    After a couple coats of primer, I started spray the chrome.
    I'm not lying when I say there is probably almost 6 layers of pain on this one piece.

17. t-rent

t-rent popurhood Staff Member

Love the project but just not feeling the lights. They seem so out of place. Maybe once it's finished it will "fit" better.

18. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

No one asked you.

8valvematt likes this.
  19. rabbit20v

rabbit20v BRIDGE!

20. vw to bimmer

vw to bimmer The Krazy Professor

Steve,

Little advice on welding the remainder (I am assuming you are going further than the tacks). Aim the weld puddle at the horizontal edge and zig towards the butt end. You want to try and keep the heat on the long continuous edge and merge the other edge. If you spend more time on the butt end you will keyhole it.

Good luck.

Ps, If you want a few lessons let me know. I'm no expert, but do a decent job and make good welds, just sometimes not the prettiest like some pros.

rabbit20v likes this.