Thoughts on B8 Avant, and Allroad

Discussion in 'Audi and BMW Related' started by SuperFan99, Oct 25, 2016.

1. SuperFan99

SuperFan99 Well-Known Member

Trying to figure out what to replace my JSW TDI with. I'm down to either an Outback or maybe a B8 Avant/Allroad. Considering the mileage I drive per year(35K+) I'll be buying something CPO or used. More interested in wagons than anytig else. Makes trips to the cottage much simpler with the additional cargo volume.

Pros to the Outback would be that I can tow both of my boats with it, and it has a larger cargo volume. The Audi's could only really manage the little boat, which is fine, I could probably just rent or borrow a truck for that.

Just curious if anyone has any other thoughts, pros or cons on the B8 Avant, or Allroad?

I know the earlier models had the oil consumption issue, it seems so long as that issue has been addressed/repaired those are typically fairly reliable beyond the 2010 model year.

2. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

I assume an auto is fine for you? I think the outback is going to offer more storage inside and it will tow more like you said. I don't see an advantage of the Audi other than it will look nicer and probably be nicer to live in for your 35k per year.

How do prices compare for the CPO stuff?

3. JKaczor

JKaczor Well-Known Member

What about a mk4 TDI Jetta wagon? Mileage would be boss and you'd be able to pocket the rest of the cash/put it into the new ride to make it run and drive like the day it left the factory lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Yeah but an MK4 is not even close to the class of the other cars he is looking at. lol

5. JKaczor

ITS STILL AN OPTION THOUGH. GOD.

6. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

You're right. Hey superfan have you considered a mid 80s 750 Kawasaki? You could get a sidecar so its basically a wagon. Cheap too.

7. JKaczor

....you win...

8. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Haha sarcasm doesn't come across well on the interwebz. I think a MK4 TDI is the ultimate cheap form of transport in wagon form. Just not for most people, they are getting old.

9. JKaczor

That they are. I guess I was not being considerate if you will when pitching ideas.

But on another note, what are you're thoughts on the Alltrack? I drove one of those recently while getting it lot ready and decided fairly quickly it was something I needed in its third pedal form. Also, the JSW is being offered with 4motion that's a fair amount cheaper than the Alltrack. From what I'm understanding, the Alltrack is like an upgrade package for the 4motion JSW which includes a 15mm lift, leather seats, body kit, among other tid bits.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  10. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Alltrack = allroad. At least like the new one. Its not much more than an appearance package, so to most a big waste of money lol. I would really like to drive a MK7 4motion wagon with any motor config. Seems like a good combo. Too bad I'm not going to be buying anything new for a while or it would be on my short list.

11. RoachinRay

RoachinRay Bags&Wheels BRUH

mk7 sportwagen S with 4-motion is $26,xxx.....its a lot of bang for your buck. Alloy wheels, heated seats, Apple Car Play, a few drivers assistant features....test drove one today, they drive really nice, can't wait to see how they do in the snow

12. Dos Jotas

Dos Jotas It used to say Admin here

I was recently researching vehicles in this wheelhouse and came to the conclusion that as awesome as wagons are, if you are not comparing them to what the CUV segment has to offer, you're eliminating at lot of good vehicle choices that can complete pretty much the same tasks as the two cars you mentioned. Here are the conclusions I have drawn:

Honda CR-V - AVOID 2015s! 2015 was the first year for CVT transmissions in CR-Vs, and they had terrible vibration problems at idle that were apparently partially remedied by some software programming that reduced fuel economy. Other than the 2015, awesome choice in the segment. Bullet-proof K series engine, tons of innovative features, the coolest being how the rear seat folds down at a pull of a handle in the rear cargo area. The AWD system is not the most effective, but it's there.

Toyota RAV4 - Another solid choice. The recent redesign fixed a lot of it's annoying quirks, such as the rear mounted spare and side hinged rear door. Has a button that locks it into 4wd.

Nissan Rouge - Looks like it has a really nice interior, and the rear cargo area has a really innovative shelf system that looks as it can really make use of its tall cargo area. Nissan owns the company that makes a majority of the worlds CVT transmissions, so I'm willing to bet that the one in a Nissan is better than most. Also, they don't hold their value as well as others in the segment, so slightly used ones are usually a pretty good deal.

Mazda CX-5 - Perhaps I'm partial to Mazda's, because I have a 2015 3 and an old Miata, but this is supposed to be the best to drive in the segment. The trade off is less cargo room. But they are supposed to get great fuel economy. Love my seats and interior in my 3 also.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  13. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

I think at least for me, the reason I am attracted to a wagon before a CUV is overall, at least from VW, they feel more nimble and lighter. I can toss my car into a serious corners with confidence. I like rowing my own gears still, and for some reason they look better to me. My MK6 JSW is certainly not a head turner, but I do like the way it looks over a Rougue/CRV/RAV4 etc..

RoachinRay likes this.
  14. Dos Jotas

Dos Jotas It used to say Admin here

What turned me off of the Tiguan was that it is a lot smaller than its competition, poor fuel economy and requirement for premium fuel.

15. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

I would have to agree. The tiggy is kind of falling behind.

16. RoachinRay

RoachinRay Bags&Wheels BRUH

THE NEW ONE WILL BE OUT SOON! Lets hope they've fixed these issues. Most VW's can run on 87 now, even though they recommend 91 to get the full performance. The new tiguan looks a little bigger from the pictures so hopefully that fixes the space issue, and maybe they will offer a 1.8t option to help with fuel economy... Time will only tell.....

17. LowlyOilBurner

LowlyOilBurner Posting- God

These are literally some of the most hum drum most boring, shitty cars on the market.

I know you have a hair up your ass about Mazda, and I get that. But every Mazda I've driven (aside from an mx5 Miata) have been the biggest piles of shit, ever. Think Coors light can on wheels (and I drink Coors Light).

Honda, Toyota and Nissan follow suit here. They may appear to be decent, but at the end of the day, they are all stellar examples of mediocrity. They do everything "well", but if you have to spend over 30,000miles behind the wheel of any of them, you would quickly learn the short comings.

When you buy quality, you only cry once. Stick with the VW Alltrack or A4 Avant. The VW interior will proly be beat after 30,000miles, whatever. The A4/Allroad will probably stand up a bit better.

I like the Alltrack, but, it's no Allroad. I drove the new 17 Allroad Prestige, but it's no Volvo V..........9..........oh wait see what they have to offer in 2017-18....#cantwait

18. Smaefer

Smaefer HEATED 24/7

You cant go wrong with AWD on anything! Because we all know FWD and snow tires suck.... rabbit20v knows this.

RoachinRay likes this.
  19. SuperFan99

SuperFan99 Well-Known Member

I'm all over the place on this lately.

Really not interested in a cuv, which sucks since some of them are actually rated for some sort of towing. I've driven a rav 4 and crv. It was just a meh experience. I was pretty close to picking up a low mileage b7 avant, which would have been nice since I could have paid cash for it. With all the miles I drive I want something that's somewhat fun to drive.

Lowlyoilburner got me looking at v60's. It's a little more than I want to spend, but so is everything else I really like. I'll probably just drive my ford for the winter, and pick something up in the spring. At least then I can compare them to the alltrack with a manual.

RoachinRay likes this.