Took the plunge on a 911

Discussion in 'All other Euro Cars' started by Orleans VWr, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Orleans VWr

Orleans VWr Well-Known Member

I'm still not sure if it was a good idea or not, but last April I decided to see what all the fuss was about with Porsche's 911. The only one close to my budget was the much maligned 996, but with an LN Engineering IMS bearing, new RMS, and clutch, I hope to have picked up a fairly reliable example. Mine is a 2002 911 with a manual and not much else.

So far, driving it has been much rawer than anything else I've owned. It is LOUD, responsive (maybe even too responsive given the unusually light front end from a rear engine car), fast, and quite a lot of fun. The seats are tight (and I'm a scrawny guy), the interior is of average quality, it rattles and creaks a bunch, and I'm always worried something will blow up, but the ripping sound made by the flat 6 is amazing. I've also had a few repairs to contend with so far including:

1) Oxygen sensor
    2) Plugs, oil change. (really just maintenance)
    3) Removing the window tint
    4) Polishing the headlights (the were pretty clouded)
    5) Replacing the air-oil-separator (what a bear of a job that was)
    6) And an as yet still mysterious vacuum line leak

911 smaller.jpg 911 rear smaller.jpg

911 smaller.jpg

RoachinRay likes this.
  2. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Whats the going rate for one of these? Only gripes I hear with them is the IMS and the interior, but IMO you don't buy a car like this for the interior.

Sounds like a blast and looks great!

3. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

4. Orleans VWr

I did a ton of research before I bought. The going rate for a 996 (1998-2004) 911 is about $15,000-$25,000 depending on condition and excluding special edition models. The turbo model is $35,000-45,000+, the 4S somewhere in the middle. Mine had 80,000 miles on it, so it was at the lower end of the price spectrum. That said, it seems that a higher mileage car is perhaps the better one to buy anyway... it is the low mileage babied cars that most commonly had problems with the IMS bearing. In the end, I am hoping that the car is already on the bottom end of the depreciation curve and that if I care for it well and keep the mileage reasonable, then it won't lose value.

RoachinRay and lorge1989 like this.
  5. Jeller

Jeller Posting- God

Congrats and welcome to the club. Seal Gray?

6. Orleans VWr

Yes. Seal Gray. Probably the most common 911 color, though it is easy to keep clean and looks pretty good in nearly any light.

7. Jeller

Jeller Posting- God

I hear ya, not the most rewarding color, but hey it never really looks dirty lol.

[​IMG]012 by Christopher Mosgeller, on Flickr