Vegas Supercar Experience

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by unibagel, Oct 20, 2013.

1. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

So as I alluded to months ago, the day finally came! Whist on a mini-vacation to Las Vegas we sampled how the other half lives and did a Supercar Driving Experience at Exotics Racing. I picked out a Porsche 997 Twin Turbo and my friend Steve chose the McLaren MP4-12.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We arrive at the track not knowing what to expect but are overjoyed to see a large tent with lots and lots of vehicular eye candy underneath. We go inside, register and are encouraged to poke around all of the cars. “They are all open, please feel free to go on in and check ‘em out”, is what we were told. Most excellent. They have a very laid back atmosphere there which reminded me of track days (or any event for that matter) at Nelson Ledges road course in Ohio. Soon we are hustled into a classroom to listen to a few “commercials” from one of the instructors who was pushing all sorts of package deals on us. Everything from sampling more cars to buying the in car videos. Next up was one of the instructors who explained how things would go out on the track. It’s actually pretty slick, there is a set of double cones at each corner indicating the braking point, a tipped cone where the apex is and a single cone to point to in order to set you up for the next corner. All of the cars had paddle shifters, which was cool as I’ve never driven a “real” sportscar with them before.
    With all that under our belts we are divided up into groups of three and climb into a Porsche Cayenne for 2 recon laps with an instructor driving. Let me tell you, I was very impressed at how well that Cayenne handled. Nice. We were shown the proper line, braking points, etc. all the while there were supercars flying around in a sort of controlled chaos. We pulled into the pits and waited our turn to drive. I was called and met my instructor Ben, he got me situated and correctly positioned in the car. Explained in detail what to expect including the fact that passing was not only ok to do but was encouraged! He said that if we were going to be passed he would reach over and rest his hand on the wheel meaning for me to hold my line and lift off the gas; meanwhile he put on the hazards to indicate to the overtaking car that they were free to pass. He asked about my driving experience and I explained that I had 10+ years of Autocross and 3 years of attending track days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first lap was very eye opening as this P-Car not only has some serious BALLS but also the handling to back it up! I was in love. The second lap I came into a couple of the turns too hot and the back end started to come out but I caught it. Ben gave me props for that and said that he could tell I’ve done this sort of thing before as my car control was pretty good. (Yay , me!) I ended up passing a couple of cars which made me feel good. But the 5 laps were over rather quickly and we pulled into the pits. Ben gave me some pointers and we talked cars for a bit. Next up Steve took his turn in the McLaren F1, not the prettiest car (esp. when sitting with the P-Cars and Ferraris) but interesting none the less. I snapped pics of Steve while he did his thing out there; he came back in with a huge grin on his face! He was told to pull under a separate tent that had a hose so that the instructor could spray the radiator as those cars run HOT!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, the girls decided to do a 2 lap ride along with Indy car driver Richie Hearn in the Corvette. This looked like a blast as well as he had been blasting out of the pits all morning. He would drift the car into a carefully controlled power slide around the corners and pass other cars like they were standing still. They came back with smiles from ear to ear. Ha ha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While this experience was a bit on the pricey side, I think that it was definitely worth the money. (Yes, the next morning I was still buzzing from it and was surfing the Pelican Parts Classifieds before going down to breakfast!). It was so much fun and just fed the Petrol Head in me. Steve and I got to watch our last lap taken from the in car cameras (in an effort for them to sell us the in car video). I asked what the average time for the course was, he said 59 seconds typically. Then he pointed out that my best lap was 56 seconds and change! Not bad at all! Next we went to Machine Guns Vegas, but that is another story entirely! ;-)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

If I ever go to Vegas, I WILL do this.

3. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Vegas was 100x what I thought it would be! This was only one of the highlights and I would do it all over again in a second...

4. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

Other than this, idk what there is to do in Vegas except gamble and party, neither of which I'm super into

5. BlackGTI

BlackGTI Well-Known Member

Very cool. This would probably be the only reason I'd go back to Vegas.

6. 18t papa

18t papa I'M OLD PAT!

Thats not a McLaren F1 though... Its an MP4-12-58-9632-1972-37632785.

7. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Correct, fixed. Thx. I thought the McLaren was not so pretty anyway....

8. drewster99

drewster99 Member

I was in Vegas last year and didn't know anything about this :(

9. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Great post, looked like a great time.

I don't know how the McLaren is ugly. Its fucking gorgeous in a nerdy kind of way. I def would have picked that one.

10. KurtCav

KurtCav Posting- God

I agree.

Looks like you had a blast. I'll have to put this on my to do list.

11. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

I absolutely loved the P-Car and I will have one someday. If I was to do it again it would be with a Ferrari, they have such an intoxicating sound!