Venue Options/General Idea Thread

Discussion in 'DitB Yearly Show' started by lorge1989, Feb 18, 2015.

1. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Lets get a list together of locations we are looking into to have the show.

I am going to personally try to get more information on:

• Cobblestone District / Other First Niagara Lots
    • Templeton / Lots near there

Key things that I think will help the show to be sucess:

• Location, we need a place we can build off of in years to come and one that has more to offer than a big parking lot.
    • Some sort of organization of cars. At the very least the restriction of non-euros and where they would park, possibly not even in the GTG area depending on location
    • Food, food truck idea was awesome, I'm sure we could make that happen again. Maybe get more than one to come?
    • Vendors with 'booths', nothing crazy fancy, but it would be cool to see multiple supporters. Black Forest is always on point but, a few more would be good too. Maybe Basil would bring new cars to showcase once the show gets big enough.

What are you ideas?

2. A4 Deja vu

A4 Deja vu Posting- God

What is ur idea of "not another vagfair" what's going to make this special food trucks,vendors, no non euros sounds like vag fair lol what's ur idea of special?

For us to come up with ideas and be shut down u need to explain what ur trying to do here. To be honest with the amount of craziness that can come with these I'd be worried about bringing it right into the city. It could be embarrassing maybe not the first year or two but if it catches on.....

The city does offer some cool stuff but we may want to think about what comes along with these before we try to bring it in a nice area.

This is on my phone so it's a shitty response atm

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

I'm into this idea:

A few suggestions:

1 location, I feel it should be something that represents Buffalos charm, idk if silo city is an option but it is something that nobody else has.

Obviously I'm against limiting it to only euro cars, partially because if we want the show to be a success why not open it to as many people as possible and just split them up by euro or not. The show we go to in Vermont is held at a fairground and though it is geared towards euros there is a "outkast" class for all the non euros. Eurokracy in Montreal did the same thing. Some really nice non euro cars were there. Buffalo and the north east has a huge Subaru scene and innovative is a very well respected jdm tuner in the area. Vendor/sponsor potential right there as well as brining more potential people to the show for it to grow.

Food trucks

After show activities: example the show in Vermont, wolfsgart, has a bbq setup Friday's at bag riders which is obviously something we don't have, the. Satruday after day 1 of the show there is a 50 mile cruise through the mountain back roads, then they have friends that run a bar that had show specials and stuff rather than everyone just leaving after the show closes for the day. Unlike ocean city which is laid out in a way that all the activities take place where everyone stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

VAGFAIR is held in the middle of no where, with a few sparse hotels and the show is on a fairground surrounded by a crappy neighborhood. I'm really not trying to bring down that show, everyone knows good times can be had no matter the location, as long as you are with friends with a common interest. I just think we can do MUCH better than that, you know have a bigger reason to come to a show than just getting wasted in a parking lot the night before, which was awesome BTW. :D

If the show is in Buffalo, either the city or on the water close to the city there is other stuff to look at and do. If we could possibly get it downtown (which I'm not sure at this point) it would be a much more scenic event. You could walk from the show to tons of resturants, bars and other attractions. There are countless hotels down there which would encourage people to stay the night, go out that night etc.

And you are suggesting picking a location that will tolerate bad behavior? That will ultimately make the venue much less desireable. Its like setting ourselves up to fail. Obviously no one wants this to become another H20 and as long as the event organizers plan correctly and do their best to control the craziness I don't think it will be a problem. Most times the way these shows/GTGs get shitty is from behavior that develops over the course of years, not just one. H20 used to be a fun/chill time, now its just crazy. IMO this goes along with the non-VAG cars that have invaded, that goes along with Sasquatch's comment....

In my opinion the GTG success should not be measured by how many cars we have, but the quality of cars and people that we have. This is a Dubs in the Buff event, there are going to be sponsors for the event that deal specifically with VAG vehicles, not Subarus or anything else. An outcast section could work fine but I don't think it should be advertised that way.

I feel when you start mixing in different groups the quality of the show goes down, I guess I don't know exactly why that is, just an observation I have made.

And lastly we were able to get 300+ cars in Buffalo last time it was here, and that is besides the fact that each time we have it here we are doing it totally on our own, with very little support from Erie or Ohio. What makes you think we won't have enough euro cars to make this a success?

I think the after show activities would be a great addition no doubt. Think if we had it downtown it would make everything super streamlined and easy.

5. eurotrsh

eurotrsh Resident Wheel Consultant

The reason we only had one truck at Front Park was because Lloyd said they would do it free of charge if we gave them exclusivity. I tried having an "outcast" spot there too, but I couldn't direct traffic on my own.

A small entry fee would sift out the real crummy people.

I was in email contact about a year ago with Swannie Jim who runs the property at Silo City and I did some research myself, I don't think the landscape there will lend well to low cars, at all.

I think what George means by "not another VAGFair" is that he doesn't want to be in the middle of a field, in the middle of nowhere. I fully back that. People can socialize the night before and after a show by going out to bars and restaurants and not turning a hotel parking lot into a burnout pit. If people are centralized in the city, it will give them the ability to have something else to do than trash a parking lot. They can go have a riot on Allen or Chippewa or whatever floats their boat.

Edit. Jinx, I read George's mind. <3

lorge1989 likes this.
  6. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

I guess I had pictured this as a car show, not just a gtg, featuring buffalo, not a euro only event.

I've been to a few shows that featured euro and non, they have had little to no drama and quality was totally fine. H20 is the obvious exception because that attracts a whole other type of shit show, mostly because its location I feel.

7. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

+1 on a small entry fee, would keep some shit out and could help pay for the space or go to charity or something

8. Minglor

Minglor jamjamjamjamjamjamjamjam!

Blowneuros use to donate the profit to red cross.

9. eurotrsh

I donated all of the raffle proceeds from GLGTG to my friend's son's cancer foundation. I refuse to make a profit on a show or gtg.

10. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Small entry fee thats donated to charity would also help get a venue maybe? Saw the GTG/Show is for a good cause. Like $5 to get in?

11. cj sardo

cj sardo Active Member

I think it's a great idea to do a not for profit/charity car show or gtg. I think it draws a better crowd if you charge a small fee and then it just goes to a good cause so you can't loose. Sponsors would be more willing to lend there services with that route too.

12. Unit91MS

Unit91MS Well-Known Member

Hater...
    [​IMG]

But no, if it's a DITB sponsored and organized event, I would say it should be limited to euro cars or at least charge non euro cars more for entry. I also vote for somewhere downtown near the water if possible.

13. A4 Deja vu

A4 Deja vu Posting- God

My buddy works for papa Leo's and I might be able to get them to bring out their trailer for a cheap pizza option it's nothing amazing but it's an option.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

14. t-rent

t-rent popurhood Staff Member

Let's try to keep the threads in this section on topic so that things can start to be accomplished and we don't have to scroll through lots of useless posts. I have deleted the posts that weren't adding anything worthwhile to the thread.

I like a lot of the idea's that have been brought up so far.

These are my thoughts on how I envision this yearly GTG. What I think is obviously not the end all be all, if it was I wouldn't have brought up this idea to everyone at the GTG last week, I would have just done everything behind the scenes. So please keep that in mind. Nothing I say is ever set in stone as to how it's happening.

I will try to hit all the topics that have been brought up so far.

Location - definitely someplace downtown or very close proximity to it. We have a great city and it would be nice to showcase it for people attending from out of town. You guys have thrown some good possible locations out there already and I have a couple possible locations but would like to scout them out first to make sure they would even work before suggesting them.

Who's invited - Since this is a DitB hosted event I would like it to be focused on euro cars. If non-euro's show up so be it, I could care less, but I don't want to advertise it as any make is welcome.

Entry fee's - This will definitely be not for profit. It's a great opportunity to raise money for a worthy cause, which a low $5 entry fee and raffles would accomplish.

Food - Having Lloyd's at the GLGTG was a great idea and you could tell by the lines that it was very popular. We would definitely need something like this again.

Other activities - For this year I feel that this is something that should be focused on last, just due to timing. If we can figure out something that's great, but if we don't there is always next year to prepare for further in advance.

15. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

:)

So I was talking to Eddie last night and he brought up a good question. Is this GTG aimed at taking over GLGTG (if possible) or are we just going to start fresh?

If the other cities would agree just to let us take it over I think that would be awesome. It's already a 'well known' GTG and has a good name to go with it. But at the same time it might be easier for everyone if we just make our own.

If we make our own will we just do what Ohio did that one year and combine GLGTG with this one when its our turn to host? What dates are we considering if we do make our own? Still in May like Great Lakes?

One last quick thing, I like what UNITMS said about a bigger fee for non euros. Maybe $10 and have different place for them to park with a limited capacity, like 50 or so cars. This would probably weed out run of the mill non euros and could possibly add a bit more to the show, while certainly not overwhelming it.

16. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

I'm fine with it being euro focused but I don't feel we need to limit non euro cars. What are we gonna do, tell them to go away if we hit 50 cars? If it's just a gtg kinda makes us look like assholes. If we want to split euro and non euro that's fine but limiting is kinda lame

17. t-rent

t-rent popurhood Staff Member

Turning people away, unless at full capacity, would get ugly. I don't want to go down that road.

lorge1989 likes this.
  18. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

Yep

19. eurotrsh

I also looked into the large plot of land where the waterfront concerts are held. Formerly "The Pier"

My friend Chris Ring leased the property and would allow it for a show use. However, he is subletting the property, and requires his (paid) event staff to be on duty. It's an awesome spot in the city, right on the water, and more than enough space, but will not come cheap.

20. A4 Deja vu

A4 Deja vu Posting- God

I just brought this up to George last night. This would be an awesome spot to have. Only question is what does it run?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2