wax residue on black plastic

Discussion in 'Detailing Forum' started by synthetikv, Jul 30, 2012.

1. synthetikv

synthetikv Well-Known Member

i had my car detailed at delta sonic a few months ago, and while the interior and paint looked great they went overboard with the wax and now all the black plastic parts of the car have a white residue over them.

i've read a few different things about removing it and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this or advice.

the most common options i heard were to remove it with either peanut butter and a toothbrush or a pencil eraser, then apply back to black.

i'm hoping to wash/wax this weekend for some pics after my springs are installed so any pointers would be appreciated.

and i apologize if this has been posted already, i looked back a few pages and search didn't pull up any results unless i'm failing at keywords :p

2. daveniro

daveniro Member

Use a mr clean magic eraser and some all purpose cleaner, trust me, I work at delta sonic.

3. synthetikv

trusting people at delta sonic is what got me into this mess!!! jk i'll give it a try.

4. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

I just did this yesterday on my GTI. I just sprayed some all purpose cleaner on a rag and it came right off. Good luck Vince!

5. synthetikv

had some free time tonite so washed and lolspray waxed it. ended up cleaning out the plastic and applied back to black. it looks good now, we'll see in a few days though.

dunno if i'd bother spray waxing again, didn't save me much of any time as i spent more time redoing it because i didn't like how it looked lol.

6. Airhead

Airhead Fred Sanford

I use that Nanowax on my Mk2s (tons of textured black plastic) and never have the wax residue and dust that used to make detailing a nightmare. I'm sure there are better products out there but I got that locally.

7. synthetikv

the spray on wax looks really good in some parts, but most have problems with streaking. it could be i just need a better chamois or something. i'll pick up one since it can't hurt and give it another try.

Also I used the meguire's interior cleaner instead of armor all this time and i fn love it. not greasy feeling, not overly shiny but clean. definitely a better product imo.

now if only i could stop spiders from moving into my wheel wells every night i'd be golden.

8. one.8tee

one.8tee Well-Known Member

The only spray waxes ive learned to love are the ones that you spray on the wet car after rinsing off soap after a wash, let sit for a couple seconds, and quick rinse it off. Water beads up instantly and the paint glosses up so nice, for an extra 30 seconds to a wash. Ik we have our own brand at work (available to buy soon) but don't know of any others!

9. daveniro

daveniro Member

MR CLEAN MAGIC ERASER WILL TAKE OFF ANYTHING (grease,wax,tar,etc) WITHOUT DAMAGE. I'm not even allowed to tell you guys that but delta sonic doesn't pay me enough. lol

10. slopoke

slopoke Well-Known Member

Dude detailers have been using magic erasers for years, this is not news by any means

11. TANGO DOWN

TANGO DOWN OhnO a V8

:biggthump :Banane56::biggthump

12. kwild

kwild New Member

Late to the party but oh well....I've had good luck with vegetable oil and a clean lint free cloth. Just dab some of the oil on your cloth and scrub away.

13. synthetikv

bought new car, problem solved.

14. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God