What did you do to your house/garage/shop today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lorge1989, Apr 8, 2016.

1. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Similar to the what did you do to your car today threads... I thought we could try this, because we all have other things going on than cars!

I'll start.

Refinished my floors:

[​IMG]

Put in oak shoe molding that has been missing since I bought my house:

[​IMG]

Painted some shit:

[​IMG]

rabbit20v likes this.
  2. SuperFan99

SuperFan99 Well-Known Member

Well, it wasn't today.... but recently refinished the woodstove that I got from my grandfather's camp in Adirondacks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

RoachinRay likes this.
  3. Bracketracer

Bracketracer DITB Sponsor

Wait! You have a coupe also?

4. unibagel

unibagel Posting- God

Love that stove!

5. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

That stove is sick! I miss seeing that coupe on Springville!

6. lite1979

lite1979 Printing Shit!

So jealous of that stove.

My house needs some love, but it's going to have to wait. The only thing I've done recently is replace my water filter. Rather install a water filter. There was no filter in the housing when I moved in...

7. SuperFan99

Yes, still. It's taken a sad turn. Debating what I'm going to do with it.

8. SuperFan99

Great job on the floors George. Looks Great! That's one of the next projects I have on my list for this year. We're going to add hardwoods in the kitchen, and then redo the rest of the floors on that level, so all the floors match. That's the first step in out kitchen remodel.

The stove is a 1st generation Vermont Castings resolute. My grandfather bought it in 1982. It made the house too hot, so he switched to a woodburning insert, and had it in his basement He used it out on his deck during the summer as a space heater the last couple of years they had the house up there. He gave it too me when they sold the house around 2006. I've been storing it ever since.

I had planned on refinishing it and moving it out to the my cottage, but the new house we moved to has a non functioning fireplace, so I relined the chimney and installed this as birthday gift for my wife. We love it. We get a good overnight burn out of it, and it's hot enough in the morning to start a new fire on the coals. All I used to refinish it was a wire wheel and some steel wool. The finish is just stove polish. I used Williams Stove polish since it's closer to the natural cast iron grey color. Most other types are jet black. 2 of the leg bolts snapped when I tried to remove them, so I had to drill them out and re-tap, that was probably the toughest part... aside from the hours of wire wheeling.

It's designed to be used as a stove or a fireplace, so I can take the door off and use it as a fireplace, or close it up and use it to heat the house. It has a horizontal combustion mode to increase efficiency. Pretty neat for 1970's tech.

This is from the first first time I fired it up last fall after installing it. It has a fitted screen for using it as a fire place. You can pick these up in ok shape for about $500 on craigslist, professionally refinished they go from $1500 to about $2000 depending on the year and options. I'm getting another one for the cottage.

[​IMG]

9. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

That's a great idea to put it in your fireplace. Probably is way more efficient than a regular open wood flame.