Work Van

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by muddyvw, Jun 26, 2016.

1. muddyvw

muddyvw Posting- God

Hello

I'm considering purchasing buying a work van to support my side job as a carpenter. My goal is to increase my workload to become self employed. Having a vehicle that can haul all my tools would be quite beneficial.

So, I have two questions. Should I be looking for a box van or sprinter type vehicle so I can stand in it? Or, would your average E-series or Chevy van work well?

Any thoughts?

2. JKaczor

JKaczor Well-Known Member

I'm sure an e-series would be sufficient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

What kind of jobs do you do? Do you need to be able to haul 12 ft boards inside the van? I dont think that is possible with and E series or GMC van. A sprinter van would probably work better.

If thats not an issue and you can use a roof mounted system for that type of stuff, I'd probably suggest an E series. Mostly because they are cheaper and when just starting out it might not be the best idea to invest a ton of capital if not necessary.

Eventually a sprinter or one of the new bigger Ford vans could be sweet. The guys that replaced my windows in the spring had a sprinter. They do a lot of exterior metal trim work once the windows are in. They had an 8ft brake/shear in the back of the van, it was awesome!

4. muddyvw

muddyvw Posting- God

I prefer to do interior carpentry, but am building decks now since the weather has been so good.

I would like to be able to haul 12-14 foot plus tools, maybe even turn the van into a mobile shop - but that takes a lot more capital like you said.

I've read plenty of articles about the perceptions clients have based on your work vehicle. I wonder how true this is - I would love to find an old quigley van or an awd chevy express - but they're hard to come by and not always in the best of condition it seems.

5. badnewsmini

badnewsmini Posting- God

when I built decks we used a trailer. had an F250 to pull it around, nice because you can leave it on the job site if your there a couple days, plus we had a bobcat with auger for drilling post holes we pulled with the Furd. plus we used the bobcat trailer to bring the wood to the site. we built all kinds of decks from small pool decks to the deck at water street landing in lewisten.

the trailer is nice to because you can set it up the way you want and when your engine/trans goes on the work truck your not down the tool chest, can just hook up another truck and keep on rolling.

6. 9016VB3

9016VB3 Well-Known Member

Pickup with a cap. Used to work for a guy who owned a handyman/duct cleaning/gutter cleaning business. He ditched an E series van for the truck and hasn't looked back. Could always pull a trailer if the job required it, and could keep everything covered and locked up under the cap.