Written quote vs. actual bill

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by muddyvw, Apr 25, 2016.

1. muddyvw

muddyvw Posting- God

Hello all,

I thought I would ask for some opinions.

Last fall I received a written quote for some work at my house to be performed this spring. The estimate was for two hours work at $150 an hour.

Today I received the bill for 6 hours time for a total of $900.

I am not looking for a way out of this bill, but I didn't exactly budget for a 200% increase.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. sasquatch

sasquatch Posting- God

I'd tell them to fuck right off of prove why it took an additional 4 hours.

Show them the quote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Minglor

Minglor jamjamjamjamjamjamjamjam!

Not sure if it applies to a contractor but

https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/know-your-rights-auto-repair

Written Estimate

If you request it, the repair shop must give you a written estimate of the parts and labor necessary for each specific repair. The shop may charge a reasonable fee for developing a written estimate, but the labor charge for an estimate may not exceed the shop's usual hourly labor charge.

The estimate must list each part and its cost, and show what parts, if any, are either used or not of original quality. It must show the labor charges for each repair and by what method they are calculated. The shop may not charge more than the estimated price without your permission.

4. muddyvw

muddyvw Posting- God

I did that, minus the expletives.... I'm waiting for a return call to shed some light on the situation.

I guess I'm wondering if at the point where the workers realized the time overage, there should have been some re-consultation to explain the situation - the nature of the work is all in plain sight - no hidden surprises like a renovation can sometimes yield.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  5. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

What kind of work was done?

6. muddyvw

muddyvw Posting- God

I had LOTS of beech trees sprayed to inhibit the progress of beech bark disease

7. vw to bimmer

vw to bimmer The Krazy Professor

Do you still have the written estimate in hand? If so I would say pay what the estimate was with a check. If they were to try to take you to court, the receipt and estimate should do the trick. I doubt it would even go that route because you have proof of what was estimated. Unless you signed something that indicated a change/conflicts with what the estimate said you should be good.

8. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Interesting. That's something where there won't be many surprises. I mean it's not like 20 more trees pooped up since the quote. Hopefully it was just a mistake and everything works out

9. muddyvw

muddyvw Posting- God

I have't heard back from the company yet. I will try calling tomorrow again.

10. muddyvw

muddyvw Posting- God

So, for anyone who wants to know- The contractor admitted he made a substantial mistake when he quoted the job and cut the bill in half.

And since this is only the first of two sprays, the second spray will be a fixed bill matching the first even though it's the exact same work (different chemical).

So, if quoted correctly, this would have cost me 1800 total. I was quoted 600 total. I'll actually pay $900 total.

All in all, not a bad compromise. I'm pleased.

RoachinRay likes this.
  11. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Thats awesome, sounds like a stand up company.